Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Completely   refuses to make a spark (Read 154 times)
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Completely   refuses to make a spark
Reply #15 - 12/04/13 at 14:09:05

Quote:
the other is a sense when starting to change timing

So if the engine ran at all, even wired incorrectly, or with 12v to that black wire all the time, the pick-up coil is likely OK ?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 12/04/13 at 14:27:36

oldNslow wrote on 12/04/13 at 14:09:05:
Quote:

So if the engine ran at all, even wired incorrectly, or with 12v to that black wire all the time, the pick-up coil is likely OK ?

If it ran, I wouldn't suspect the pick-up coil unless it changed... such as a smoldering lump on the end of the wires.

the pick-up coil should be pretty simple, just a coil that you pass a magnet by to induce some current.

That being said, some IC's are polarity sensitive.  drive them the wrong way they stop working.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 12/04/13 at 14:54:33

I learned that ($60.00 Boo Boo) messin with the generator. Spun the motor bakkerds & didnt get a spark,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Reply #18 - 12/04/13 at 14:54:35

verslagen1 wrote on 12/04/13 at 14:27:36:
oldNslow wrote on 12/04/13 at 14:09:05:
Quote:

If it ran, I wouldn't suspect the pick-up coil unless it changed... such as a smoldering lump on the end of the wires.

the pick-up coil should be pretty simple, just a coil that you pass a magnet by to induce some current.

That being said, some IC's are polarity sensitive.  drive them the wrong way they stop working.

what baffles me is when it seemed to be wired the wrong way, it only fired with the starter running , but perfectly with the  "wrong" wiring.  I must be missing something really obvious.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #19 - 12/04/13 at 16:01:11

It looks, from the diagram, that the solid black, should be connected to the triggered side of the starter solenoid (only gets power when cranking). The black/white is ground.

The orange/white(or yellow) should get power when the switch is in the on position. Goes to coil and igniter.
The black/yellow is the wire the igniter uses to trigger the coil.

Orange and green are from the pickup.

Looks like the igniter is turned on by power being applied to the orange/white(or yellow it's hard to tell).

Black is trip for starting to retard timing and is only powered when starter motor is running.

It should be fairly easy to bypass everything in the bike's wiring harness if necessary or construct a simple one to make it run.

Sounds like runs only when starting is indicating no power at the orange/white(or yellow) when key is on. Power would feed through the black lead until the starter motor was disengaged.

Serow, some electronics are polarity sensitive.  Wiring the pickup one way will result in + going into one of the leads and - going into the other.  If the connections were reversed, the one that should be + would be getting - and might cause something in the pickup sensing circuit to die.  Just depends on whether or not they polarity protected it.

OK...I'll shut up now.  Hope I didn't confuse matters for the OP.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #20 - 12/04/13 at 19:14:19

Steve H wrote:
Quote:
Sounds like runs only when starting is indicating no power at the orange/white(or yellow) when key is on. Power would feed through the black lead until the starter motor was disengaged.

Keith,
      I think Steve has figured this out. Check the diagram of the pins on the igniter in the link here - same one I sent previously - and make sure you have 12V at pin #5 when whatever you are using as an ignition switch is turned on.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1173898705

IP Logged
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Reply #21 - 12/05/13 at 13:17:29

OK, I have now cut all the wires off, and started re-wiring from scratch.   I have used a connector strip to avoid muddles.    Perhaps finish tomorrow, if it won't spark then, it's time to hire a real electrician.     Thanks for the help.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:22:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Completely   refuses to make a spark

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.