Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Completely   refuses to make a spark (Read 154 times)
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Completely   refuses to make a spark
12/01/13 at 05:18:03

new coil, new ignitor - and I even had it running once!     all the wires checked for continuity, and for current.      But no spark at all . Could anyone help?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Completely   refuses to make a spark
Reply #1 - 12/01/13 at 06:36:27

I would really be happy if I could help you. Im sorry, man, I am not that guy. YOu , sir, are sitting in my worst place to be dealing with a machine.
YOuve done what you think you should & its still not doin right. Dang..I am not the guy, BUT, there are several SCHMART,, I mean Really, really Schmart guys here who just may be able to walk you back & save it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 12/01/13 at 14:49:51

Could it be the pick-up coil?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 12/01/13 at 15:27:47

if the voltage drops below 10v, it aint going to spark.

WWW   IP Logged
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Reply #4 - 12/01/13 at 16:25:09

Serowbot wrote on 12/01/13 at 14:49:51:
Could it be the pick-up coil?...

well, that is the only thing I haven't replaced yet!     They are hard to get as well, only one on Ebay is in the USA, and doesn't have coloured leads -   so there are dangers of connecting it back to front and blowing yet another part.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 12/01/13 at 16:31:21

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong,.. but I don't think polarity matters...
It's just a winding of wire either direction...

Also not sure, but it seems like if you have continuity between the two wires, and not short to ground it would be okay...???... (talkin' outta' my hat here,... I suck at electrics)... Huh...

PS... If you do go in there,.. and if your bike has over 10k miles, I'd go ahead and replace the stator too... (whatever heat kills the pick-up has been cooking the stator too)...

IP Logged
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Reply #6 - 12/02/13 at 09:58:53

I tested the wires from the pickup, and they showed   a resistance , but higher than the 200 ohms it says on the spec for these things.        When it actually ran   , i noticed that it was charging OK.      

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 12/02/13 at 10:39:11

keith pearson wrote on 12/02/13 at 09:58:53:
I tested the wires from the pickup, and they showed   a resistance , but higher than the 200 ohms it says on the spec for these things.        When it actually ran   , i noticed that it was charging OK.      

My Clymers manual says specified resistance is 200-240 ohms. Then it says that if the measured resistance is less than spec, or infinite; ie open, then the pickup is bad. I interpet this to mean that if the measured resistance is somewhat higher than spec the pickup is ok.

Are you absolutely sure that your battery is OK. A weak battery will crank the engine but will not fire the spark plug.

IP Logged
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Reply #8 - 12/02/13 at 10:57:25

the battery is a good one,  new, and even higher rating than specified by Suzuki. But I will still give it another charge, as it is a bit cold here.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 12/03/13 at 09:10:33

Slap that Voltmeter on the battery. AND, just because somethin is new doesnt mean it Hasta be good. Its rare, but possible, to buy a bad battery.
Usually a spark will be made even by a low battery IF the plug is layin on the head so you can see the spark. If its in the head, then the load on the starter dragging it thru compression drops the voltage enough to rob the ignition of the power to generate a spark,
So, how is it youre sure its not makin a spark?
What has changed since you had it running?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 12/03/13 at 09:17:37

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/03/13 at 09:10:33:

It got a lot quieter?... Grin...

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 12/03/13 at 09:58:53

Quote:
I am building a  custom bike with a Savage engine - I think it's an early engine , the serial number is   P401-106734.  I wired it all up, and had it running .   I now have the tank etc all fitted, so I tried it again - but this time, NO spark. It has a new coil and a new ECU.  I have an idea what might have gone wrong, perhaps a loose connection - but when wiring up, I wired a  lead from the ignitor to the starter solenoid as shown in the diagrams, BUT it only started while the starter motor  ran!   so I wired that lead to another power source and it ran OK.  But I don't like the idea that I have in reality not wired it right, and now it won't go.     I intend to re-wire the whole ignition now. I tested the coil, it is OK, so now I will try to test the ignitor.

Keith,

I just went back and reread the above from one of your earlier posts. I'm having second thoughts about your pickup coil despite the fact that it apparently tested OK.

Has the bike ever run except when you had power to that lead between the igniter and the starter solenoid ? It looks to me like that wire supplies the signal to the igniter while the engine is cranking and then is disconnected as soon as the solenoid disengages. At that point the signal comes from the pickup coil to switch the transistor in the igniter on and off.

You said this is a custom build. Does that mean you are not working with a stock wiring harness ?

I found this in the tech section:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1173898705

May be some help if you are wiring the bike from scratch.

IP Logged
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Reply #12 - 12/03/13 at 10:00:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/03/13 at 09:10:33:
Slap that Voltmeter on the battery. AND, just because somethin is new doesnt mean it Hasta be good. Its rare, but possible, to buy a bad battery.
Usually a spark will be made even by a low battery IF the plug is layin on the head so you can see the spark. If its in the head, then the load on the starter dragging it thru compression drops the voltage enough to rob the ignition of the power to generate a spark,
So, how is it youre sure its not makin a spark?

not much really , I had it running  for a short  time because the tank was not fixed up.  when I  fixed the tank  I tried and the starter wouldn't work, but I found a fuse had blown.  
I fixed  the fuse  and the  starter was fine - it was the ignition fuse. Then I couldn't get a spark.     I hve tested the plug, lead, coil, everything.

IP Logged
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Reply #13 - 12/03/13 at 13:45:14

oldNslow wrote on 12/03/13 at 09:58:53:
Quote:
I am building a  custom bike with a Savage engine - I think it's an early engine , the serial number is   P401-106734.  I wired it all up, and had it running .   I now have the tank etc all fitted, so I tried it again - but this time, NO spark. It has a new coil and a new ECU.  I have an idea what might have gone wrong, perhaps a loose connection - but when wiring up, I wired a  lead from the ignitor to the starter solenoid as shown in the diagrams, BUT it only started while the starter motor  ran!   so I wired that lead to another power source and it ran OK.  But I don't like the idea that I have in reality not wired it right, and now it won't go.     I intend to re-wire the whole ignition now. I tested the coil, it is OK, so now I will try to test the ignitor.

Keith,

I just went back and reread the above from one of your earlier posts. I'm having second thoughts about your pickup coil despite the fact that it apparently tested OK.

Has the bike ever run except when you had power to that lead between the igniter and the starter solenoid ? It looks to me like that wire supplies the signal to the igniter while the engine is cranking and then is disconnected as soon as the solenoid disengages. At that point the signal comes from the pickup coil to switch the transistor in the igniter on and off.

You said this is a custom build. Does that mean you are not working with a stock wiring harness ?

I found this in the tech section:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1173898705

May be some help if you are wiring the bike from scratch.  

yes, I only could get it to run with the wire full time live - BUT when done the right way , it DID fire up, only when the starter was running!     It is a custom build, all non ignition I have done from a similar diagram,  except I have no decompressor.   The rest of the wiring works OK - it's done with a Zenith brainbox , really easy.      I am ready to give up and call a travelling electrician to sort it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 12/03/13 at 14:00:22

Maybe you got the wrong wire hooked to the starter.
1 should be hot from the kill switch, the other is a sense when starting to change timing.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:25:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Completely   refuses to make a spark

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.