Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need Raptor petcock ASAP - any EU dealers? [fixed] (Read 70 times)
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Need Raptor petcock ASAP - any EU dealers? [fixed]
11/30/13 at 05:41:03

We have a motorcycle parade on dec 12th in this town. The young lady´s Savage needs a Raptor petcock fix before then. I seem to find only US or Hong Kong sellers of this item on Ebay. Is there a quick, cheap and Paypal-aware online seller in Europe? Physical motorcycle shops over here are few and far between - and expensive.

Also, it seems that there are ripoffs/copies out there, apart from the real deal from Yamaha. Are these of any quality at all?

TIA & Cheers from cold Sweden /Rick

« Last Edit: 12/01/13 at 15:38:55 by Bluesman »  

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: Need Raptor petcock ASAP - any EU dealers?
Reply #1 - 11/30/13 at 06:26:28

Can't help you on a supplier.

What are the symptoms?

If the problem is starving for fuel, it should run on PRIME OK.  You will no longer have a RESERVE, but that's not a big deal if you keep track of distance between fill ups.  

If the problem is leaking into the carb when stopped, maybe you could find a small valve that you could put between the petcock and carb and shut off the fuel manually.  You could even pull the fuel line off the carb when stopped and then plug the line from the tank with something like a golf tee.  

Not the ideal solutions, but as they say, "necessity is the mother of invention."

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/30/13 at 07:23:56

as an alternate...
WD wrote on 10/19/13 at 11:45:52:
VS800 Intruder has the same bolt spread and a larger reserve. However, it is close to $100 for a brand new original equipment Intruder petcock... and since Suzuki finally got smart and killed off that model line...

or you could convert to manual...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1113631600/1

WWW   IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #3 - 11/30/13 at 07:31:48

Thanks for replying - it´s the old story of a bike (been standing for years) having a clogged carb and a failing petcock. Even on PRI she cuts out, backfires excessively and dies on deceleration. I was going to clean the carb and swap the petcock in one go and have it over and done with. Before that parade Smiley

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Reply #4 - 12/01/13 at 05:15:07

It LOOKS from the pictures that a tap from the Kawasaki VN range  will fit, most likely the 750- 800  type. But they also have the same stupid vacuum off switch , which had me baffled for a while . So, take off the vacuum switch cover , and get the little plug valve , SAW about 1/4"  off   (after the rubber ring ) so it can't work, then put the cover back  . Now you can use the outlet on the carb for a vacuum gauge or else plug it. This I think applies to Suzuki  petrol taps.   End vacuum  switch misery!      but the Kawasaki also has a real OFF switch and a reserve.

IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #5 - 12/01/13 at 11:32:15

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I just ordered one stateside, let´s see if the USPS is up to the job Smiley. It should be here by the end of the week, best case. Meanwhile, we drained the tank and attempted to remove it. Bloody impossible, it turned out. The petcock is in the way, so there was no way of bringing the tank far back enough to free it without removing the petcock. Idiotic design..so, while en route, we might as well "slot mod" the spark plug cover for easy access in the future.

BTW, the vacuum thing still works. I dismantled it and applied suction, and it moves inward ca 5 mm. Lord knows though, whether the vacuum in the carb is all that strong. It´s a suspect, an accident waiting to happen, and will be swapped anyway.

Today, some basic tool knowledge was transferred to the young lady, who actually did all the removal stuff by herself. Now implanting the good habit of putting things that belong together in small boxes with tape labels. And taking pics of everything.  Cool

« Last Edit: 12/01/13 at 14:41:33 by Bluesman »  

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 12:51:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need Raptor petcock ASAP - any EU dealers? [fixed]

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.