White spacer mod (Read 101 times)
00savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Franklin, PA
White spacer mod
09/23/12 at 09:38:06

Hi all. Total newb to the forum and to the savage. I've had many bikes over the years though. Anyhow, i've swapped my stock muffler for a h.d. dyna and i've done the "white spacer" mod. I've seen many posts on here from members who have done the same. I've noticed that some of you run half a spacer while others run two thirds. My best results (cutting down on the poof) came from running no spacer at all. It ran rich  and you could really smell fuel, but hardly any popping. So after I read about others running a half I decided to go that route. Tried it yesterday and now it's back to popping like it did with the whole spacer. Any suggestions?  Shocked

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: White spacer mod
Reply #1 - 09/23/12 at 09:44:32

If you were smelling gas,.. you are correct to put half the spacer back in...
No need to waste fuel... Wink...
Try raising your idle speed a tiny bit,.. or enriching the idle mix a bit...
.. or some combination of both...

Pops and blats, on decel are normal on a thumper... it's the kerpow! gunshot, backfires you want to get rid of...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
00savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Franklin, PA
Reply #2 - 09/23/12 at 11:10:42

Thanks for the input serowbot. I'll try to do some adjusting today. I plan on swapping the petcock out for one of those raptor 660's and shipping my cam chain tensioner to verslagen for it to get modified. From the pics i've seen on here I would be stupid not to.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 09/23/12 at 11:47:07

The transient enrichment valve (TEV) might be sticking.  Its purpose is to richen the mixture slightly with the throttle closed at moderate to high revs,... to minimize the kerpop and kapow while declerating.

Have a look at reply #62 in Double RYCA build.  It covers what we did when we rebuilt the carbs.. It shows the TEV, how to get at it, and how to clean it. http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1304722902/62

Three things to me mindful of:
-- Be careful with the screws holding it all together.  On both of our carbs the screws might as well have been welded in.  We used an old A&P technique of shocking the screw very slightly from side to side with a punch.  When you see ANY movement at all, the screw will come out.
-- There is a very tiny little hole that ventilates the chamber.  This is usually the one that gets plugged and screws up the operation of the TEV.  Use only soft copper wire, solvent, and shot of compressed air to clean it out,.. it is a calibrated hole.
-- The diaphragm is delicate.  Check it for any damage, and don't damage it.  It is expensive.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 21:26:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › White spacer mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.