Send Topic Print
insurance or not (Read 131 times)
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
insurance or not
05/16/10 at 21:52:48

if a bike is determined to be a total loss can it still be insured? the title will say it is total right? yet if a person decides to fix it and ride it do you do so without insurance or is their a special policy for this?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: insurance or not
Reply #1 - 05/16/10 at 22:16:30

You'll not get full coverage.
they won't pay for the 'total' twice.

WWW   IP Logged
Buckaroo

Wherever you
go......there you
are!

NW Washington
Reply #2 - 05/17/10 at 06:59:38

There is no reason you can not get liability and medical insurance for your bike. To my understanding, if you want collision and comprehensive types of insurance, the insurance company will inspect your rig and determine it's value.

A buddy of mine has a "rebuilt" title on a beautiful custom bike and was able to insure it for full value.

Though insurance is not required in Washington, a cash bond of $6000 is posted by you if you get in a wreck where someone or something other than you is damaged.  Insurance is a cheap investment out here.
Cool

1997 Honda Valkyrie with Motorvation Spyder sidecar
2003 Ruckus
2006 V-Strom 650
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 05/18/10 at 19:48:17

In TN. we have "Reconstructed" title.   My first Truck had one and Insurance wasn't an issue.

The vechile has to be reinspected after the rebuild to go from Salavage title to Reconstructed.   At one time I thought I might save a few bucks by reconstructing one.   In the end the unsurity of passing inspection , combined with a Great Deal on a regular modle (Sportster 5 yrs old) led me away from the idea but it probley would have worked.

Let us know how it turns out ,,, what state you in.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #4 - 05/19/10 at 00:34:15

I  live in Wa State. I wasn't even sure a bike could be insured if it had been totaled.
This may become a project the hubby and I take on or else decide not to do.

I would not ride without some form of insurance That is why I asked the question.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 05/19/10 at 06:42:55

Look up your DMV website and check the rules.

In PA, if the bike is totaled, and you buy it, the title is a "Salvage" title.  A Salvage title can't be registered for road use.  You have to rebuild it, then have a special State inspector certify that bike is back to OEM condition (clips, wire ties, foot pegs, etc etc). If it passes that inspection, the title will get converted to "Reconstructed" and you can then have the regular safety inspection and get a license plate.

But.... insurance is insurance, and the insurance companies here will take your money even if the bike is not able to drive legally on the road.  Isn't greed wonderful!

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #6 - 05/19/10 at 07:16:45

Just call your (or another) insurance company & ask. I called my ins. co. for qoutes on several different bikes when I was shopping for my new one.
I ended up switching companies for my Savage & adding my new bike later. I got Full coverage on the Savage for less than just liability from my old co. They asked what it was & we agreed on an assigned value of $2000. The fees were based no that & my record.

My new bike has 2 year replacement cost, then pro-rated. Both policies included roadside assistance for about $10 more.

Shop around & tell us what you find. Please? Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 14:54:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › insurance or not

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.