Send Topic Print
Blue Ridge (Read 135 times)
the haz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Blue Ridge
05/14/10 at 10:42:05

I am going to the mountains to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Any hints on anything I should know and be prepared for. Cheesy

IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Re: Blue Ridge
Reply #1 - 05/14/10 at 11:13:54

Lots of curves...................
Great riding and beautiful senery
watch out for BARES Grin

When are you going and which part
there will be a bunch of us at Deals Gap the last weekend of June

Kel

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 05/14/10 at 11:31:22

Here are 3 quick questions that if you answer them then we will better know how to help you with your question.

======================

How well/often do you ride in constant right/left/right/left curvy situations?

Do you plan to look at the scenery?

What invariably happens if you hit your rear brake in the middle of a curve?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #3 - 05/14/10 at 11:48:59

I ride parts of the Parkway about every week. Traffic is well behaved and the speed limit is controlled by the Feds. Tickets use to be $200 plus cost, dont ask me how I know LOL. DEER are your biggest hazard!!!!! You'll be fine as long as you take your time. If you wanna sightsee along the way dont do it while riding. There are plenty of overlooks with spectacular views to pull off of. I've ridden the Parkway from one end to the other. Spectacular Ride! Good luck and have a great time.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Bigzuk

Kodak Tn
Reply #4 - 05/14/10 at 14:56:29

You may want to check just before your trip, some sections have been closed. Some rock slides but mostly downed trees from the heavy snows this winter.

I've been end to end several times and it's always a great ride and only 15 miles from my house Smiley
Please pull off to look at the mtns. you will need to keep your mind on the road until you pull over at the many overlooks that are easy to get in and out of on the bike.
If the motorhomes and other slow traffic get to you, we have many roads in western NC that are also great to ride without the slow flatlanders "tourons" = tourist / morons as the locals call them  Grin

Bigzuk

Love my Savage !
  IP Logged
the haz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/14/10 at 17:10:20

This is a great resource.  I am going to the mtns. for the first time.  Here is my plan.  I am going to not exceed 50 mph and I will stop for the overlooks.  I like to paint so I might spend some hrs. there.  I am starting from Franklin NC.  and heading north,   Don't want to hit deer or bears. Leaving may 5/19 and heading back 6/7.   Might camp or stay at motorcycle campground in NC.  Any other hints would be appreciated. Cool

IP Logged
Bigzuk

Kodak Tn
Reply #6 - 05/14/10 at 18:57:23

Fines on the parkway for 50 mph.
I think most of it is 35 or 45 Mph and with the curves and views that may be faster than you want at times. Be carful in the tunnels, lots of cars don't turn on the lights.

I like to use a Rand Mcnald campground / atlas when in a new area needing a campground. Not all campgrounds are shown on my GPS.

Pack good rain gear !!!!  We never know when or where an afternoon shower will pop up around here. One cool thing is when you ride at high elev. and look over the side of the road to see rain / lightning down below.

Enjoy the ride,
Bigzuk

Love my Savage !
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #7 - 05/14/10 at 19:41:59

Theres a motorcycle campground at Laurel Springs and one at Meadows of Dan.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 05/14/10 at 19:58:24

This is a great resource.  I am going to the mtns. for the first time.  (then you are in danger from them mountain roads then) Here is my plan.  I am going to not exceed 50 mph (stay in 3rd gear and don't go faster than 45) and I will stop for the overlooks (good, ogling the scenery on a bike can kill you).  I like to paint so I might spend some hrs. there.  I am starting from Franklin NC.  and heading north,   Don't want to hit deer or bears. Leaving may 5/19 and heading back 6/7.   Might camp or stay at motorcycle campground in NC.  Any other hints would be appreciated.  (don't ever hit your rear brake, keep your revs up in 3rd gear and just roll off on the throttle to slow down)

======================================

You are in danger of flat lander panic syndrome -- something unexpected will happen and you will automatically do what you always done down in the flatland where you normally live.  

You will mash on the rear brake

But you will be leaned over in a turn when you do it (it is all turns up there so you are always leaned over to some degree) and you will instantly go bolt upright on the road and the bike will go STRAIGHT as an arrow.   Straight into the other lane.   Straight into a hillside.  

(you get the idea)

Going straight is bad in the mountains ...  

Do not mash on the rear brake in the mountains ...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
the haz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/16/10 at 14:23:27

THAT IS SO HELPFUL.  WILL BE THERE TOMORROW THRU 6/7 Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print