Send Topic Print
Mandated ABS on bikes? (Read 315 times)
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Mandated ABS on bikes?
Reply #30 - 05/14/10 at 10:27:57

Dunno. Rode it, as I said, low speeds, parking lots, rush hour, relatively high speeds... didn't feel anything strange. Wanna stop - it stops. There's no booster or any enhancement that I felt. Squeeze ligthly - it slows down lightly. Squeeze harder - it simply stops. It acts like any other good bike I rode, difference being in that you actually feel both wheels brake whatever you engage. Kinda hard to explain...
Bill, I agree on the cost 100%. It is probably very expensive now. But give it a few years. Look at cars. Even smallest Kias and Hyundais have it now, and they are still cheap cars.
But why do you think there will be more accidents??  Shocked 99% of people should not ever sense ABS activating. Rookies may, and it will probably save their butt then - it's a win-win, right?

On the same token - we just got a brand new Ford explorer (exploder) on the job. One of the pamflets that came with it reads  - if you need to slow down rapidly, depress the brake pedal as hard as possible and concentrate on steering. It actually instructs you to rely solely on ABS. That might be a partial problem. Taking control out of your hands (feet).

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Mandated ABS on bikes?
Reply #31 - 05/15/10 at 11:08:02

I've a Chevy Tahoe with ABS and have needed to use them now and then. The last time I needed them was when a little wiener dog ran out in front of my truck in traffic. I missed the dog by slamming on the brakes and going to the grass sholder of the road. Without the ABS I'm pretty sure I would of hit the dog, it was real close even with them. After thinking about it ABS could really help with a bike but it could disassocate the rider from proper braking technique. It is one of those things where you don't know that you need them till you do.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 16:28:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › Mandated ABS on bikes?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.