end of an era 4 me (Read 3298 times)
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
end of an era 4 me
04/15/10 at 20:01:50

for the first time in many many years I am bike-less,I put my bike on CL and it sold in two days, the guy pulled up with his Son and his Sons friend in a ford truck,he walked around once I started her up ,he said
"I'll take it" no low balling paid what I asked $3500.
While chatting with the Dad I found out none of them had ridden a bike before,I almost canceled the deal just thinking of my baby with a scratch on it,the boys Dad did say he will not let him ride until he has taken the class.
I was almost in tears as I watched my bike on a truck going down the driveway,I knew I would have to quit eventually, but I realy wasn't ready, I will start in earnest looking for a little Miata, I think then I will save up a few more bucks and buy a basket case bike and just work on it for fun,who knows by the time I finish the bike the feeling in my hand will return, My Sister and I are not giving up I am still doing the massage theropy,and acupuncture. I have consulted an attorny, it looks like he is going to take my case on a no pay no fee arangement  Smiley So my friends I will have to get my enjoyment from reading your motorcycle post, if you don't mind ? of course I will still hang around the tall table spreading hate and discontent for the big boys only,wimps can decline.     Mick

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Re:  end of an era 4 me
Reply #1 - 04/15/10 at 20:08:08

Good for you Mick.  Its not uncommon for nerve problems to resolve themselves in time, once you start using your hand as best you can.  Buying a basket case will be good fun, and satisfying once you restore it.  I've done it myself.  Good to see you got an attorney to work on contingency. I'll bet the guilty parties will settle out of court rather than pay all the legal fees required to fight you.  Its also good to see you will stay on the site, providing a balance to other posts.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #2 - 04/15/10 at 20:12:15

You can look at the basket case as therapy too, both physical and mental.  Working with all those small parts should be good for working on dexterity and coordination, etc.  And it'll be a good creative outlet for you! Cheesy
Glad to hear you'll still be hanging around here too. Cool

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #3 - 04/15/10 at 21:43:39

John_D FSO wrote on 04/15/10 at 20:12:15:
You can look at the basket case as therapy too, both physical and mental.  Working with all those small parts should be good for working on dexterity and coordination, etc.  And it'll be a good creative outlet for you! Cheesy
Glad to hear you'll still be hanging around here too. Cool

thanks John appreciate it.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 04/15/10 at 22:01:23

Sounds like a way better plan than I would have...
1.   You're movin' on, not wastin' any time moping around... Sell the bike and find a Miata... Enjoy life...
2.   You're not closing any doors behind you... things may still improve physically,... and you may yet ride again...
In the mean time,.. you'll still enjoy life, with a Miata, and a project bike...

Gee,... that sounds so tough, I'm thinking about it myself...  Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #5 - 04/16/10 at 01:04:19

Mick, you'll love the Miata, and working on a old bike is fun.  You're "OK" in my book, you can hang out here forever and show us all the cool bikes from around the world.  Keep doing your therapy, it will pay off.

Blessing to you my friend.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #6 - 04/16/10 at 07:08:15

If they can make handicap (no offense Mick) accessable cars with modifications, would it be possible to modify a bike to fit your requirements?  Would a trike be easier to handle?  Just some thoughts.  Glad to see you aren't giving up yet.   Smiley

Lying is emotional immaturity in action
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #7 - 04/16/10 at 07:33:13

Mick I wish nothing but the best. I hate to see your Ninja go but that was your call. Your vast knowlege of motorcycles is enjoyed by everyone, so please stay. I pretty much had to give up my music career because of the Lupus but other doors opened. I'm riding more and thats how I found this website and a lot of new friends, you included. I'm sure if your hand doesnt improve other doors will  open. You are a very talented man, dont waste it. Make the best of what you have to work with and enjoy life.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Buckaroo

Wherever you
go......there you
are!

NW Washington
Reply #8 - 04/16/10 at 07:36:49

Mick,
You should really think about a sidecar rig. No limit to how you could mix and match the controls; hand shift/foot clutch etc.  The sky is the limit! With a proper re alignment of the triple tree and forks, steering is pretty much effortless. Just a thought. There is enough engineering expertise on this site to figure out just about anything.  Best of luck to you...... Between the acupuncture and massage, you are on the right path. Nerves do heal.  Cool

1997 Honda Valkyrie with Motorvation Spyder sidecar
2003 Ruckus
2006 V-Strom 650
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 04/16/10 at 08:36:04

I saw a sidecar rig just a few days ago here in Harvard, Nebraska. The sidecar (for lack of a better term) was a wheelchair ramp, so arranged that the wheelchair entered from the rear and was secured in place. The wheelchair occupant operated the motorcycle with "remote" controls from the chair. It looked a little odd coming toward me, with no one on the motorcycle.

I do not know whether your left hand is functional at all. But the old Honda Helix 250 has an automatic transmission, and a foot-operated rear brake. Thus the left hand has only to grip the handlebar and has neither brake nor clutch to operate. I know it is a scooter (I had one) and not a "real motorcycle," but it might be an option.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #10 - 04/16/10 at 08:37:52

Buckaroo wrote on 04/16/10 at 07:36:49:
Mick,
You should really think about a sidecar rig. No limit to how you could mix and match the controls; hand shift/foot clutch etc.  The sky is the limit! With a proper re alignment of the triple tree and forks, steering is pretty much effortless. Just a thought. There is enough engineering expertise on this site to figure out just about anything.  Best of luck to you...... Between the acupuncture and massage, you are on the right path. Nerves do heal.  Cool

I have given a sidecar rig alot of thought ,used to have one in England
a 500cc BSA M21 ,couldn't pull a wet man out of bed, they can be fun ,
but I'm a bit of a tear arse, and I just love to lay into corners, sometimes if I find one I really like I will keep going around and try it again just to see how fast I can get round it,that was the reason I got the ninja.   Mick

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #11 - 04/16/10 at 08:50:05

Sorry to hear about having to sell your Ninja, but I admire your overall resolve with getting on with things. I've a feeling you'll do just fine whatever you choose and be riding again someday. In the meantime, from the looks of the clocks you've built, it will be interesting to see what you do with your "basketcase".

Stay strong!

Dan

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/16/10 at 08:58:03

Sorry to hear you no longer ride Mick.  I fear the same thingbecause of my legs.  They have already ended my long rider status.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #13 - 04/16/10 at 09:02:01

Mick,
I bought a Suzuki Burgman 650 due to bad knees/hips/arthritis. You still have to use your left hand for the rear brake. I don't know if that is an option for you yet. I know it's a scooter but man is it fun to ride. It is comfortable and really handles the curves well. The Burgman out-performs the S40 in all aspects too. I hope that you recover well enough to climb back on a bike.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #14 - 04/16/10 at 09:11:55

Mick, for  you to sell your bike had to be a very tough decision. Then to think that you may have to give up riding even tougher.
My heart really goes out to you as well as my arms to give you the strength to keep on going.

Keep up the theraphy and in time those nerves may regenerate and be better than before.
I know how hard it is to have a bike and not be able to ride it. I myself am not sure how long it will take me to heal, yet I have determination and am doing all I can to will myself back. I may have to go thru some p.t. as well.

Your very smart and I have enjoyed reading and learning from your posts. I am happy to read  you will continue to be part of this forum
My best to you and here's a kiss to go with then hugs.. Kiss Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 15:37:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › end of an era 4 me

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.