Thermal Images (Read 239 times)
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Thermal Images
12/03/08 at 10:40:07

While looking for more pics of that cool cafe Savage on ls650.eu I found this series of pics.

Source: http://www.ls650.eu/community/showthread.php?t=7507
Registration and moderator activation required to see attachments there, so I'm hosting them.

Google translated caption:
Quote:
Have a few photos with a thermal imaging camera, so after about 20 km trip.
15 ° outside, the simple Ölthermom. (Ölstutzen purely on the turn) showed between 83-125 ° C (temperature rose at standstill in idle slowly):

I'm not sure if the left side read hotter because it really is or because the bike had been idling a few minutes by that time (look at the timestamps).  One thing is for sure, and that's the chrome side covers are not good conductors.  Shocked

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Thermal Images
Reply #1 - 12/03/08 at 11:13:01

very cool!....not literally

also one more good reason to dump those chrome covers...

Thanks

(edit) left side is hotter...last pic is time stamped after...right-side has insulating space for cam chain...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 12/03/08 at 11:22:54

Shows very nicely why the exhaust ports and pipes are usually located at the front - besides appearance. Since those are the hottest parts of the engine, they get the first shot at the cooling airflow. That also gives more room for the exhaust pipes to have the length they need for best effect as "header pipes." As a fringe benefit the carburetor, located at the rear of the cylinder, is slightly warmed by the engine cooling air to help reduce the chance of carburetor ice.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 12/03/08 at 12:52:23

WOW, now that is some really sexy stuff !  Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #4 - 12/03/08 at 14:17:50

They don't conduct heat because they have rubber between them and the head. One side has a big rubber piece and the other has smaller pads otherwise it would be so loud with vibrations.

Awesome photos though, thanks for sharing!!

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
saluteTOme

Newark, DE
Reply #5 - 12/03/08 at 15:36:33

yea, I REEEEAAAALLLLLLY like those pics!

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 12/03/08 at 19:43:12

Aren't the head covers just made out of chromed plastic?. Not much if any heat conduction thru plastic. Great set of shots, thanks

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #7 - 12/03/08 at 19:55:19

Not on my bike they aren't. Cause if they were then I wouldn't have been able to get them powder coated.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 12/04/08 at 09:01:03

See the red headed bolt on the lower left clutch cover?
When I converted to the supertrapp, this is where my brake cable cover started melting.

WWW   IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #9 - 12/04/08 at 17:34:29

Nice naked pics!  All the more reason I use a heavy duty synthetic lubricant. Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 12/04/08 at 20:10:16

Wouldnt it be cool to be able to have that thing around to compare the hot spots after an oil change??
Mythbusters time.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #11 - 12/04/08 at 20:16:24

verslagen1 wrote on 12/04/08 at 09:01:03:
http://ls650.info/ThermalImages?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=100.JPG
See the red headed bolt on the lower left clutch cover?
When I converted to the supertrapp, this is where my brake cable cover started melting.

Great pictures Moofed!

Verslagen ... That is really odd that you mention the Supertrapp doing that not long after I posted this heat oriented post in another thread:

Read the Whole post, or skip to the bottom to get to the point:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------
Originally posted 11/28  in the thread "untouchable"

Just so happens that I recently bought one of those LED readout thermometers that reads temp of objects without actually touching it.

I had a lot of fun starting all three Savages up in the garage with the door open and a big shop fan blowing a good breeze at them from the front. Not the same as running them down the road under load of anything; but I was still able to make some interesting observations:

With the whole group of them sitting and idling, and an occasional blip of the throttle on each just to keep the spark plugs from loading up; I let them all set there and get up to a normal operating temperature.

Of course the area to heat up quickest is the area right around the cylinder exhaust port, and it reaches a couple of hundred degrees within just a half minute or so. Other areas of the engine warm up at various speeds, and some of them are surprisingly slow at gaining any heat at all.

Just several observations: The front and back of the cylinder heat up much quicker than the sides of the cylinder. The whole head doesn't heat up as quick as you might think it would. Takes it a couple of minutes to get up to 180º-200ºF + all over. The top of the crankcase starts to get mildly warm- 130-150º within a couple of minutes but the lower side cases and bottom of the engine were still reading under 100º after 8-10 minutes of sitting there running. I suspect that the transmission will stay pretty cool for a long time if you don't go ahead and start riding the bike.

My little temp "probe" has limits of like -27ºF and +450ºF which is sufficient to let you know if the engine is getting hot enough to break down most oils... I never found any area on the engine that got over 350º except right up real close to the exhaust port on the head... and curiously enough, at the choke point on the exhaust pipe where the muffler connects to the header. For some reason that choke point in the exhaust pipe seems to run at a temp similar to the temp at the the exhaust port on any given bike. And here's one very interesting fact that I discovered: The two bikes with H-D mufflers on them had considerably hotter temps at both the head port and the choke point where the the muffler connects. The bike with the Supertrapp was running nearly 100º cooler at these points.

Now I'm not suggesting that the Supertrapp alone is making that area of the engine run a lot cooler all by itself. There may be other carb tuning issues to consider. But I'm pretty darn sure that at least one of My Dyna-Sporty muffler bikes is running well rich since it puffs black carbon smoke regularly. IOW, I don't think it runs hot from being tunned lean. But SOMETHING is going on with the Supertrapp to cause the exhaust port area on the bike to be considerably cooler; and I have to think that has to be a good thing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------

Back to 12/4

The point: in my studying the engine temps with my heat sensor, I found that the Supertrapp produced much LESS heat at the header/muffler junction than my other Savages with H-D mufflers...

And yet yours got so hot it tried to melt the brake cable. I wonder wherein the difference lies? Carb tuning? Number of baffles on the Trapp (exhaust tuning)?  Weird...

I agree with your earlier post about why the right side is cooler (the cam chain space) and I figured that one out when running my probe around the engines.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/07/24 at 07:14:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thermal Images

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.