Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How common are s40 problems (Read 442 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: How common are s40 problems
Reply #15 - 12/03/08 at 13:45:24

When I bought mine I had no idea how easy it would be to maintain, so, I bought a new one. I wanted the warranty. If I had known then that this site existed & how much help was available & how easy the thing is to take care of, I would have bought a used one & saved a load O $$$. The $$$ saved would pay for all kinds of tools( You gonna need them anyway). A little dinky compressor & a 1/2" impact, a 3/8ths impact & air ratchet, a manual impact screwdriver( about $8.00 at Harbor freight) & some wrenches & allen wrenches & screwdrivers, feeler gauges, drain [pan & bucket for used oil. You can keep it on the road & have fun tinkering. Paladin is playing with fire IMO, the cam chain is one thing that just doesnt forgive a lack of maintenance.

Theres no "tupperware" to peel off to get to the engine. The plug is hard to get to unless a simple little mod is made to one of the upper chrome pieces, Some just remove them & enjoy the shape of the engine,
Its a great little bike, It rips across town. Its light & nimble, the low seat is comforting to me, since my seat is close to the ground, too.It can be puit on the road, very succesfully. One member took his from Florida, to Nevada or Arizona,, cant remember, North to Canada, East to New York & back South to Florida.
Its a sound design, IMO, if it was a flaky bike, it wouldnt still be being built after 20 some odd years.

Welcome aboard..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
beck
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 12/03/08 at 15:59:46

frog,
I am new to the Savage also. It still has 0 miles put on by me. Mine is a '97 with only 5600 miles. Some items age does the damage to. My petcock diaphram that you have read about here was bad. I changed to the Raptor unit. The battery was shot when I got it. Mine had the famous oil leak in the head cover. I checked my cam chain tensioner and it was 15 mm out with a max of 17 mm. I was supprised at the tensioner wear. I did a mod similar to the famous one here (I am a certified welder). I have installed one of Lancers jet kits. I am in the process of installing a HD muffler. I don't think this bike was very well maintained by the previous owner and it had some outside storage time on it. I bought it right and even with my repairs I am still in it right. Would I do it again? You bet! There is always a project or 3 going in my garage. I have owned 5 HDs and one Honda. All of them required maintance too. Part of driving a bike is working on the bike. Some of the major things a first time motorcycle owner needs to realize  Undecided- Bike tires don't last like car tires. When a car tire goes flat you pull over. When a bike tire goes flat you go down. The moral  Cheesy- Keep good tires on your bike.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 12/03/08 at 20:05:48

The only problem I've had is when my brand new 2007 underwent a new bike 'prep' by the dealer who promptly put the front axle spacers on in reverse! Careful buying a Suzuki from a 'Harley only' shop populated by those who consider spending anything less than $20,000 for a bike blasphemy.

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #18 - 12/04/08 at 10:51:06

I bought my '06 in August of '07 with 0 miles from a dealer.

So far, the only things I've replaced are the front brake pads at 3380 miles and a broken shift rod at around 4000.  I think the shift rod got bent when the dealership got the bike down off the display stand it was on, but I can't be sure.  It definitely shifts a lot better than it did with the original one.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Beatduck
Alliance Member

Spleen tingling fun!

Sarasota, FL
Reply #19 - 12/04/08 at 16:29:34

Well let's see...
I bought my 05 used in 07 with 2400 mi. on it.
Took it immediately on a 12,000 mi. trip cross country, and ride it almost all the time!has 25,000 on it now!
I've only changed oil, pads and tires.
Don't let it (or ANY engine) run out of oil. That's pretty much the only way you can kill this thing.

I haven't even checked the cam chain, battery! or valves yet. (don't worry, I will)
It's a MACHINE! Treat it as such, and I'm sure it will act like one!
But it is a really reliable and pretty simple one at that.
Besides tinkering is half the fun. If you don't like that sort of thing there is always someone out there that will do it for you. (For a fee!)
Good rule of thumb is just have it checked and oiled ever 3 months or so, and, whatever comes up comes up! Take care of it and don't let things go.
Run it often!! (Which you said you would, so no problem!)
Any repair cost is not that bad. Comparatively. (read: Harley)

Am I sounding "Mechanically" yet? Grin I could go on.......

Anyway, what I'm saying is: I love this bike! and, I would do anything for it!
Including fixing it!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 12/04/08 at 17:23:02

I hope you got finely tuned ears for that tensioner.

WWW   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #21 - 12/04/08 at 17:34:20

Yes verslagen is right ... and here is addional things to worry about ...
The idiotic starter clutch mechanism.
And Peckerheads at suzuki will only sell the 80 tooth gear that always breaks with the starter clutch mechanism which never breaks ... yea, 165 bucks for the pack, 100 bucks of which you'd leave on your shelf ... never need it ... even on a 45K mile motor, the wear on the mating area on the gear was minimal.

Its a clear case of ... yea you need a rear tail light bulb ... oh, we only sell that along with the whole rear fender ... here you go, that will be 1500 bucks.
Cool.
Srinath.

« Last Edit: 12/05/08 at 08:10:42 by srinath »  
  IP Logged
Beatduck
Alliance Member

Spleen tingling fun!

Sarasota, FL
Reply #22 - 12/05/08 at 01:16:45

I think the tensioner is going to be a Christmas present to myself!
Planning on opening it up when I get back home!
I'm sure there will be other stuff too! YEAH!

You'll be hearing a lot from me soon........ Smiley

IP Logged
troglobil

'08 S40

Winder, GA
Reply #23 - 12/05/08 at 06:30:57

I bought mine new in July as my first bike. Originally I figured somewhere own the road I would trade for something bigger. But the more I ride, the more I like my S40. I do plan on an Atlanta to Cleveland trip this summer to visit family. I will buy the Air Hawk seat cushion for this trip, since after a few hours my butt starts to numb.My next oil change I will do my cam chain tensioner mod so no more worries there.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 15:50:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How common are s40 problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.