Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How common are s40 problems (Read 440 times)
bullfrog
YaBB Newbies

Submariner for Life

Bremerton, WA
How common are s40 problems
12/01/08 at 21:35:20

I take my NRC this Friday and by next week I was planning on buying my new 2009 S40 but after spending so much time on this site I'm starting to worry about time and money spent on repairs.  Are all of these repairs common place or is it just trying to modify the bike after purchase.  This will be my major form of transportation and I need it to be running well with routine maintenance.  I have posted here once before and everyone agreed this bike will fit my needs well. just worried about the major topics that are posted here.  Thanks for any input.  PS this is my first bike.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: How common are s40 problems
Reply #1 - 12/01/08 at 22:12:24

With a brand new bike, I wouldn't expect any problems.
Read thru the problems again with an eye on how old are the bikes.
All of the problems are neglect/wear/age related, not outright bad engineering.  But you got to be the right kind of guy for this bike.  It likes to be maintained, but it's not a hanger queen.  The maintenance is simple, you don't have to remove all the tupperware to change the oil.  Sure some things are involved, but it could be a whole lot worse.

Buy that bike and go out to sea for 6 months and you'll have trouble with it when you come back cause you didn't winterize it before you left.  That's neglect.
Leave it parked outside all year long and the rubber with rot off of it.  That's neglect, but really accelerated age.

There are plenty of '86's around to say 'take care of me and I'll take you places'.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 12/01/08 at 23:32:31

I do my best serving as a bad example.

I picked up my 2000 Savage in late '04 with a shade over 5,000 miles on it.  Four years, 20,000 miles, two front tires, three rear tires, I try to keep up with oil & filter changes about every 3,000 miles, Verslagen wants to beat me with a wet noodle for not checking my cam chain, I've not gotten around to adjusting any valves, and my sparkplug is totally untouched by me.  Bike rarely sits as I'm in So.Cal. and ride near daily.

If it died tomorrow I'ld go get a new S40 and transfer a few pieces over.

WWW   IP Logged
bhcarl
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 12/02/08 at 06:51:29

I bought my 07 new in jan. of 07, two years of rideing and the only bolts  turned were for the oil change and filter. Thats it ,no problems of any kind.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #4 - 12/02/08 at 07:57:19

Bought my 87 in March with 12,000+ miles on it, have over 18,000 miles on it now. Only stranded once when my battery died. My third street bike, after a 72 Sportster and another early 84 Sportster. With those bikes I rode with full tool bags and my hands were always greasy. Clean fingernails most of the time with the Savage. A requirement for owning the old Iron Heads was having a pickup truck for breakdowns. It was like being in a bad relationship, but staying for the great sex. I loved those bikes.

Requirement for owning a Savage is changing the oil when needed, along with other routine stuff you can find on this board. I give here a once over every month. Tighten nuts and bolts and cleaning her up. Check the oil daily.

A great bike. I had no idea what a Savage was when I was looking in March. Just saw it and fell in love with her looks. Sat on it, and fell in love with her body. Rode it, and she took me to places I've never been. Yeah, a great bike.

FSO
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 12/02/08 at 10:20:11

You do read about a lot of problems on this site, because that's when most people post,...for help....When people have problems, that's when they post.  
I've done 18k miles with very little trouble.  No breakdowns.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 12/02/08 at 16:12:54

pushin 12k on my 06...
only "problem" has been the battery..
self infilcted!!!
installed sound system and failed to monitor electrode level...
preventive maintainance  error on my part..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
bullfrog
YaBB Newbies

Submariner for Life

Bremerton, WA
Reply #7 - 12/02/08 at 21:33:42

Well this is good news to hear.  I've yet to ride a motorcycle but I love the look of the S40 and I've been to the dealer and sat one.  It feels right and very comfortable.  This weekend can not come quick enough I look forward to my course and future bike.   In fact if all goes right I'll be the owner of the new 2009 in white and grey.  With saddle bage and windshild add due to being a commute bike, my father inlaw recommend to cut down on fatigue.  Thank and look forward to being here for positive comments not technical help.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 12/02/08 at 21:54:11

Yes a windshield really cuts down on the strain of riding over 50mph.
The added benefit is protection from rocks.  Took one on the chin of my FF just yesterday.  flipped up by the cage in front of me and just cleared the windshield.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 12/03/08 at 04:45:34

Howdy ...frog, welcome to the best web-house around.
You will find that this is a very friendly and helpful place to hang out and get into all things LS650.

IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #10 - 12/03/08 at 05:00:18

Hey Frog
I've had several different bikes in my short life (60 years). I found this to be the best all around bike I've ever had. Do the normal maintenance and the bike will take of you.

IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #11 - 12/03/08 at 05:43:14

I have an 07 that I bought new.  This is my first bike and it has been great.  I've got almost 13k on it in 2 years and only problem is the petc#ck thing......that I haven't adjusted yet.  I do need to tighten the belt and gonna open her up and look at the tensioner.

I was thinking about moving to a C50 but when I weighed the maintenance requirements, not to mention gas mileage, I'm sticking with my thumper.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #12 - 12/03/08 at 07:15:12

Welcome aboard frog! On my 2nd LS650 (an '05 S40) only 'cause I wuz stunned and sold my 1st one (an '03 Savage) to buy a VS800 ... mistake on my part! LOL!!
Loved both my LS' ... only routine maintenance like oil changes, etc. and one flat tire!
Ride and enjoy!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #13 - 12/03/08 at 11:17:51

Frog;
Go get it Dude! I bought mine new in 2005 and no problems so far. Just keep your eyes on the battery's water level or you have premature death on it. I changed out with a maintenance-free battery and never worry ever since then.
Ride safe bro.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #14 - 12/03/08 at 12:32:02

SavageDude wrote on 12/03/08 at 11:17:51:
Frog;
Go get it Dude! I bought mine new in 2005 and no problems so far. Just keep your eyes on the battery's water level or you have premature death on it. I changed out with a maintenance-free battery and never worry ever since then.
Ride safe bro.

Big Crank batteries- one of the better $50 you could ever spend

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/07/24 at 06:47:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How common are s40 problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.