Send Topic Print
rear tire valve stem (Read 192 times)
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

rear tire valve stem
09/24/08 at 12:33:33

ok how do you put air in tire. tried two places to get air and there air nozzel is too long to fit on the stem, is there an adap. that fits on to the  Angrystem at a right angle?

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: rear tire valve stem
Reply #1 - 09/24/08 at 12:51:01

Don't know about you, but here in LaLaLand we pay for any air we get at service stations.  Have for a LONG time.  I have my own compressor and the air chuck is just a short little thing.

However I did misplace it (I tend to do that alot) and it's backup (see!) and had to use the one that came with my set of cheap air tools -- with a long stem such as you describe.  Unfortunately it didn't fit.

OOPS!!!   Accidently bent it.    hmmmm...  now it fits.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/24/08 at 12:51:54

I cant fathom owning a bike & not having at least an El Cheepo compressor. Cars, bikes, they all need air & bikes need it checked regularly, maybe daily. The raer is a hassle. I have the truchers style, long, w/ angled head, not good. I also have a very small, maybe 1 to 1.5 inch long, single outlet that is easy to get on. I like the other one on the car.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 09/24/08 at 13:35:17

Yes, they make adapters.  Google "valve stem adapter 90 degree"
Here is one:
http://www.calmoto.com/SHOP/71111239258.html#

You can also get tubes with a 90 degree stem:
Dennis Kirk

That's what I did.  Just make sure that the tube is put on with the stem pointing out to the RIGHT side of the bike.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #4 - 09/24/08 at 16:29:40

now all we have to do is convince someone around here to make us one cheaper.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #5 - 09/24/08 at 20:38:58

Use the heck outta my el cheapo compressor from Wally-world. The attachment for it fits pretty well. That 90 degree thing is a great idea, but at $15.00? No thanks.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 11/29/08 at 20:28:51

Another alternative to the gas-station air hose chuck blues:

EZ-Air Tire Gauge

You attach this gauge to your valve stem and then fill the tire via the fitting on the gauge.

Works good on all five of my bikes.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 11/30/08 at 03:10:19

Be careful of those 90 degree valve stem adaptors ... bought a couple thru a link someone posted up here on the Forums a year ago. Had one installed on the rear of my S40 when I bought it in June and after Riding the Bike for a couple of months, my rear tire went flat due to a leak the the valve stem ... I read somewhere since that those 90 & 45 degree adaptors can sometimes cause the valve stem to chafe thru do to the extra forces caused by the weight of the adaptor with high speed wheel rotation. Dunno if this is factual or not, just somethin' I read ...
I now only use the adaptor to put air in my tire 'cause it makes getting the chuck on easier ... over inflate the tire 'cause you do loose some air when removing the adaptor ... then bleed off some more air if req'd 'til I get the right pressure ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 11/30/08 at 10:13:19

I broke the end thingy off my foot pump last week trying to clamp it to the rear valve stem...sucks...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #9 - 12/06/08 at 21:18:35

PerrydaSavage wrote on 11/30/08 at 03:10:19:
Be careful of those 90 degree valve stem adaptors ... bought a couple thru a link someone posted up here on the Forums a year ago. Had one installed on the rear of my S40 when I bought it in June and after Riding the Bike for a couple of months, my rear tire went flat due to a leak the the valve stem ... I read somewhere since that those 90 & 45 degree adaptors can sometimes cause the valve stem to chafe thru do to the extra forces caused by the weight of the adaptor with high speed wheel rotation. Dunno if this is factual or not, just somethin' I read ...

I'm pretty sure it's factual.  GL1800s came with 90-degree valve stems prior to 2009.  Those bikes have had a problem with valve stem leaks.  Honda supplies a keeper that is supposed to prevent the 90-degree valve stem from drooping at speed (centripetal force) and weakening the valve stem where it enters the wheel.

Those GL1800 valve stems were junk.  I got rid of mine fairly quickly.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 12/07/08 at 02:30:39

Compressors, impacts, air ratchets, all too cheap to not own some tools. Maybe they Arent high quality, but for maintaining this little bike, they oughta be good enough. Save loads of time & effort which translates DIREctly to"Riding Time"!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #11 - 12/07/08 at 03:04:24

Digger wrote on 12/06/08 at 21:18:35:
PerrydaSavage wrote on 11/30/08 at 03:10:19:

I'm pretty sure it's factual.  GL1800s came with 90-degree valve stems prior to 2009.  Those bikes have had a problem with valve stem leaks.  Honda supplies a keeper that is supposed to prevent the 90-degree valve stem from drooping at speed (centripetal force) and weakening the valve stem where it enters the wheel.

Those GL1800 valve stems were junk.  I got rid of mine fairly quickly.

Just to clarify a little bit.
The 90 degree ADAPTER is not meant to be left on the tire.   Only put in place for airing up.
"This part is only to be used when airing the tires. Never ride with the adapter installed or the valve stem could become damaged, resulting in rapid air loss."
I have a 90 degree stem on my tube.  (That Dennis Kirk link on my previous post).
No problems yet, and I have 12,000 miles on it.  I don't think they would have a problem, unless you put some huge heavy valve stem cap on it.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 21:55:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rear tire valve stem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.