Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Various and Sundry Tips and Tricks (Read 3844 times)
rkutzner
Ex Member

Re: Tips and tricks....
Reply #15 - 10/28/04 at 17:16:21

savagethumper wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I guess everybody knows by now, that the Savage stickers on the side of the bike, below the rider, are not clear coated.  They come off pretty easy.  I'm not about to tackle the tank stickers, though.

Tackle the tank stickers.  You don't need WD-40.  Grab a hair dryer, put it on medium or hot and start peeling starting with your fingernails and grabbing what you can when you can.  You will get it off in about 10 to 15 pieces in about 10 - 15 minutes.  Then wax the spot a couple times and you'll never know it was there.

Really.  And I don't have much in the way of fingernails!

IP Logged
Sgt_Mike
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 10/28/04 at 17:20:44

If those things are breaking cutting wire ties, there must be some thing the matter with the trouble, or you dont need vise grips when you latch on to someone or something. Hopefuly the next pair will last quite a bit longer
                                                       Sgt Mike

IP Logged
lagagnon
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 10/31/04 at 11:30:56

Build yourself this very simple, effective and inexpensive bike lift to make your working on the Savage a darn sight easier.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

Larry Gagnon

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 11/13/04 at 10:45:33

lagagnon wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Build yourself this very simple, effective and inexpensive bike lift to make your working on the Savage a darn sight easier.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

Larry Gagnon

I built one of these and it works great.  I was unable to find any 4x8's but I got two lengths of 2x8 pressure treated pine and lag bolted them together.  For about $20, it's a great tool.

I wonder if the above tip might not make a good addition to the tech corner area....

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #19 - 11/13/04 at 11:52:09

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
...I wonder if the above tip might not make a good addition to the tech corner area....

Good thought. Why don't you do the honors?

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #20 - 11/13/04 at 12:58:56

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Good thought. Why don't you do the honors?

Done!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #21 - 11/14/04 at 00:42:59

i built the same lift in july using the info in the link.
works great.
if i'm working on back of machine i push handle forward and  push back to work on front.  

curently it's pushed forward. i'm just finishing up a radical bob.  i'm using the half rear fender from my old gn 400. just debating  rechrome vs paint same color as tank and front fender.

i'ts a great lift and make sure the creator gets the credit for the idea

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #22 - 11/17/04 at 06:44:39

Anybody know this site? Lots of Suzuki new parts.
Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Example:

http://www.andersonvintageparts.com/products.php?cid=2&pid=2207&image=http://...

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
marke2571
2004 No Login

Free Spec Ops
Cody!!!!

Georgia
Reply #23 - 12/22/04 at 07:30:33

Another sticker removing tip. This stuff works like magic, easy enough on MOST (not all) stickers to scrape off with a fingernail. Naptha (Ronson's lighter fluid or Zippo Lighter fluid). In my line of work, I have to remove old stickers. This stuff is safe for use on just about anything. It evaporates fast and doesn't leave any residue. I removed the warning label off my tank with my fingernail, naptha, and a little elbow grease. Have an old bottle with caked on sticker residue? Pour some lighter fluid on it and wipe it off with a towel! Try it for yourself. I like it better than goo-gone.

--Mark

'02 Silver Savage
Macon, Ga.
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #24 - 03/15/05 at 07:48:52

Yes, Harbor fraight are good if You don't have any other choice.  If You will use the tool once ot twice- they are OK.  If You want to buy a wrench 24mm and bigger they are OK. But if You intend to use their tools on a professional bases- You better think again. The air compressor I bought from them still works thaw - knock on wood.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #25 - 03/17/05 at 03:12:34

Easy Savage tinkering? Throw away the entire tool kit and buy some real tools.  For the cost of the factory kit, you can get a full set of open end combo wrenches, a t-handled spark plug socket, a handfull of dedicated screwdrivers, good allen wrench or two. Buy a LONG 6 pointed box wrench for the rear axle nut, not a 12 point or a thin wall socket (trust me, I broke the factory wrench). The belt gauge is a joke. Set the belt so it can be twisted 90 degrees to the line of travel, without the belt skipping. Any tighter is way too tight.

Solo seat conversion: stuff the voltage regulator in the air box. Mine has been that way since 99 with no problems.

Wiring: tape all the factory bullet connections. Mine would get moisture in them and the bike wouldn't start.

Squeaky belt: align the rear end to the drive pulley. Even then, it will squeak. Quiets it down a bit so it isn't as annoying.

Tire dressing: black shoe polish!

Brake fluid: Castrol GTX-LMA isn't as hydroscopic, so it holds up better. Higher flash point too...

Front disc: keep it clean! My front brakes have never worked right. Course, I did pop the fork seals within 5 minutes of taking possession at the dealership...

I got lots more...conserving bandwidth (okay, I'm too tired to type them all in).
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #26 - 07/22/05 at 08:19:39

I popped them by dumping the clutch while smacking the throttle. As in, I WHEELIED a SAVAGE!!!

Blown seals are easy to diagnose, there will be a dark "grease" line at the upper limit of fork travel.  Or a lot of clear oil on the front fender and lower fork leg. Or, no compression damping when you "bounce" the forks. Easy to fix, costs about $15 for a set of seals. All seals "ooze" a small amount of oil. No matter how clean the tubes look, they aren't. Oil + dust = lapping compound. Wipe the tubes daily with naptha or WD-40 and see just how much gunk comes off.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #27 - 08/02/05 at 21:27:11

Just my opinion... Impact drivers are a god sent, Craftsman tools are the best for value and warranty,  foam air filter cleaner (PJ1 and others) works great for sticker removal and smells a little better than WD-40, and will never use Armour-all on any of my tires, on anything I drive, It just collects dirt and then looks bad.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #28 - 08/03/05 at 12:36:40

CHRIS wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I will never use Armour-all on any of my tires, on anything I drive, It just collects dirt and then looks bad.

Yes, avoid using ArmorAll on anything rubber. It will make it crack. I used to put it on tires...big mistake ! I now use Maguiars Vinyl and Leather Conditioner on vinyl and rubber. It works well on tires but put nothing on the tread where it can meet the road.

IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #29 - 09/18/05 at 17:36:58

For taking decals off the tank, frame,  fork head etc, cut a hardwood dowel on an angle.  This gives you an clean hard edge to scrape with.  It is also one that will not scar the paint.  Allpy Goo Gone to the decal and let sit for 30 seconds or so.  Start to scrape with the dowel and the decal will start to lift.  Stay with it and in less than five minutes, you will have the decal off.  Wipe clean with paper towel and Goo Gone and then polish.  Outstanding!

I did this just yesterday with my new 05 and it worked perfectly.

Jack H.

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 17:53:21

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Various and Sundry Tips and Tricks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.