Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fork Lock (Read 171 times)
Button
Ex Member

Fork Lock
01/24/06 at 11:38:40

has any one ever changed one out? When I obught my bike, the lady had already bought a new fork lock for it since the keys were lost.  Want is the secret to changing it. I do have an owners manual but it doesn't cover this subject.  Thanks for the web site.

IP Logged
Lou
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

IABTI member    
  2005 S40

N.E. Ohio
Re: Fork Lock
Reply #1 - 01/25/06 at 04:31:17

Recently replaced mine.... I ordered a new key and lockset from my local stealership so I could see how it worked first, I think it was less than $35. and came with everything I needed. 1st. wiggle or pry off the silver lock cover (the rivet has a serrated end to help it grip, came out fairly easily and could have been used again with some locktight) 2nd. I used a 1/4 " drill bit to drill out the soft brass lockset. I drilled right where the key goes in leaving enough room to use a bigger bit if necessary, and not damaging the steel in the frame. That's the only way to remove it without the key. 3rd. using key in new lockset, insert lockset into hole and remove key. 4th. reinstall silver protective cover. The whole thing was a lot easier than I anticipated and only took about 1/2 hour going slowly. It really wasn't a tough job. If I remember correctly, it actually came with 2 keys, lockset, silver cover and rivet.     -    Lou

I doubt you could get a locksmith to even look at it for $35

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Fork Lock
Reply #2 - 01/27/06 at 05:35:31

Shortened and moved from RSD to Tech on 2006-01-27.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 05:24:39

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Fork Lock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.