Engine knocks/pings (Read 18 times)
ckramer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine knocks/pings
Yesterday at 20:48:03

I have 52K miles on a 2013 S40.
all but the first 1100 are mine. It is flawlessly maintained and runs like new, except very recently.

Recently - perhaps since the rectifier quit? - burning out the headlight.. and was immediately replaced - the engine knocks and pings badly at Wide Open Throttle, like while climbing a mountain grade at 65, or accelerating hard out of a curve.

Yesterday I was forced to buy 87 octane fuel in the middle of nowhere  (I otherwise always run 92 ethanol free) and the knocking/pinging was awful.  

Symptoms quickly resolve when throttle is reduced.

Where should I start?  Is spark advance somehow vulnerable?  Might the main jet be clogged?

IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Re: Engine knocks/pings
Reply #1 - Yesterday at 23:09:03

Timing is pretty much impossible to mess with.
Dropping the bowl and checking the jets isn't hard and ya could solve it.

If you're not excited about dropping the bowl, since YaKnow the main isn't closed off, maybe run Sea Foam through it. If it's Not a piece of crud and will dissolve,you might solve it without grabbing your tools.

I'm wondering how something can get there. The petcock has a fine mesh screen,
Do you generally fill up before you hit reserve,,but recently did have to use reserve?

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - Today at 05:22:09

Congrats on 52k miles!  At that mileage, and it only occurring at higher rpms under a load, I’d guess carbon buildup in the cylinder.  I’d inspect the spark plug and look for clues.  If you have an endoscopic camera, try to get a look inside the cylinder through the spark plug hole.

Since you’ve been doing regular maintenance and using quality fuel, and you haven’t had this issue before, I doubt it’s a dirty main jet.  The primary jet would clog and show issues before the main jet would (usually).  But…check the air filter….maybe it could be that simple.  Or your bike has become spoiled on high octane 92 and let you know it when you filled up with 87 octane. I’ve always just used 87 top tier gas and haven’t had any knocking/pinging (stock engine, no high comp piston)

I’m no mechanical guru, but a fresh spark plug and new air filter have done wonders for me in the past.  And it’s cheap and easy…and it never hurts to have a fresh plug and air filter if you have to dig into in further (at least you can rule those out).  Hopefully you don’t have to pull the head and clean it and the valves and piston.  Because I’m lazy and not a gear head, I’d be inclined to try some Seafoam or Berryman’s Chem Tool (high mileage) before opening up the engine.

Summary - New spark plug, air filter, and Berryman’s for starters.

Berryman’s comes in 2 flavors; B12 and B60 (high mileage).  I’d go with B60 in the gas tank.  B12 did a really good job on a piston I cleaned once removed from the engine. I haven’t tried the “Total Fuel System Treatment” product (maybe that’s flavor #3), but it specifically lists combustion chamber.

From Berryman’s website… —>
https://www.berrymanproducts.com/question/can-i-use-b60-like-b12/#:~:text=It's%20true%20that%20B%2D60,B%2D12%20for%20your%20soaks.

« Last Edit: Today at 06:55:27 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #3 - Today at 05:53:55

And it’s cheap and easy..

Well,, relatively cheap and easy, compared to what happens if that doesn't fix it,,
It would be a good time to do the mod to access the plug without having to take stuff off the bike. And a compressor really Otta Be a part of everyone's life. Tires need air sometimes,, and air filters need blown out, just a little pancake compressor will do. One of those and a 1/2 Impact and a bit of patience and a guy can bust out nearly anything I can get with my 40 gallon unit. The duty cycle on those little things dictates you stop using air when the compressor kicks on. But that first coupla seconds when ya pull the trigger is every bit as vigorous as a big compressor.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/18/24 at 07:36:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine knocks/pings

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.