Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A 3 minute clip about tariffs. Makes sense. (Read 36 times)
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
A 3 minute clip about tariffs. Makes sense.
Yesterday at 16:04:35

https://rumble.com/v5j2a79-this-is-the-video-to-watch-if-you-dont-understand-...

I didn't know our cars were tariffed at 100%.
The part about
Tariff imports that we make in America.
Cars,,Ohh yeah.. It's a tool to make others treat us better.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: A 3 minute clip about tariffs. Makes sense.
Reply #1 - Yesterday at 16:54:41

I didn't know our cars were tariffed at 100%.

Either did anyone else because they aren't.

EU tariffs average 8%.  There are 10% on finished vehicles and 3.0 to 4.5% on the majority of parts.  This can be verified in the Schedule B export codes from the International Trade Administration.  
https://www.trade.gov/automotive-motor-vehicle-tariff-codes

NADA and CSIS confirm this as well.

https://www.nada.org/media/3271/download?inline

https://www.acea.auto/fact/fact-sheet-eu-us-automobile-trade/

https://www.acea.auto/files/ACEA-Pocket-Guide_2024-2025.pdf#page=36

This is a textbook reason why I don't use mainstream/social media for information.  Every verifiable resource except this guy on the video say something completely different and it's backed by thousands and thousands of documents with real humans driving or working on real cars.

IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #2 - Yesterday at 19:20:21

And I posted that expecting it to get fact checked. Don't get the idea I was convinced, and incensed,,
Where Is the actual information? I wouldn't know how to start.

Okay,, snot hard,,

But, independent experts say, when it comes to selling cars in Japan, domestic automakers face as many regulatory challenges as their foreign rivals. In terms of tariffs, Japan has none, while the US does apply tariffs to cars brought into the US from Japan.
It's not tariffs keeping American cars out of Japan, it's Japan itself.

That is ONE source. Two sources. One says 100% tariffs.
The other?
Zero.
Still,remove the Bullschitt, I think what was said about How to decide what to tariff made sense.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - Today at 05:14:23

That is ONE source. Two sources. One says 100% tariffs.
The other?
Zero.

100% is wrong.  Zero is correct for Japan, which makes the 100% claim even more wrong than for the EU.

There is no blanket rate all other countries have decided to use for the US so there will be variances.

Japan has almost zero consumers for US vehicles, thus zero tariff.  Japan from and Administrative position is not keeping US cars out of Japan, it is primarily the customer.  Of course Japanese automakers work against US imports through propaganda and red-tape as well so that drives consumer desire even lower.

IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #4 - Today at 05:33:29

And then, what he said about How to decide how to use tariffs to protect Our manufacturing and markets made sense to me.
The clip is inaccurate, but only completely and horribly, in its Facts. However, being a guy trying to Learn stuff, it did offer some Thinking that I see as reasonable. Since tariffs are a bit of a Hot Button issue, I thought it would be good if we could all see them, not as a blanket good idea or blanket bad idea,but as a tool that can benefit America IF they are used intelligently.
I would really like to see that guy get Fact Checked and offered the opportunity to explain why, if he's going to get up there and pump
Tariffs are good
And use facts that are Bullschitt.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - Today at 05:38:56

Basically because his entire argument hinges on a completely inaccurate premise, so it makes his tariff evaluations hard to believe in.  This is my opinion for anyone incapable of understanding what an opinion is.

He is stating US imports/costs for automobiles are the in the state they are in because of 100% tariffs.  So if we did the same then X-results would happen.  How can he say this if none of it is true?

Tariffs impact trade and economy pricing, but nowhere near the way he claims - again because none of the argument for why things are the way they are now is even close to being true.

It's like me saying ALL cars cost 100k on up and that's why the used car market is pricing so high right now.  Would you be ok with my economic evaluations on car pricing if my base argument was ALL cars cost 100k on up?

IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #6 - Today at 06:22:33

Tariffs impact trade and economy pricing, but nowhere near the way he claims -
Well, I heard what he said. It sounded reasonable to me. Putting tariffs on
Stuff We make already
Sounded good,, but I disagree with the idea that putting tariffs on
Stuff We don't make
Is a bad idea.
I think that would tend to drive manufacturing here.

again because none of the argument for why things are the way they are now is even close to being true.

And I'm totally not understanding what you're saying here.

How do you see tariffs? Like a tourniquet ? A dangerous tool that, due to circumstances, may be necessary?
How should they be used?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - Today at 07:44:27

And I'm totally not understanding what you're saying here.

I'm saying that his entire premise is based off a 100% tariff.  Like he's saying that the current situation on US automobiles is due to the 100% tariff.

Impossible.  There is no 100% tariff.  So the entire basis that tariffs being as they are now have caused the situation we are in, is fundamentally flawed because his scenario does not exist in the real world.

What good does taking a tariff rate that never existed and use that false logic to proclaim an equal action (US import tariff of 100%) will result in what he says?  

How do you see tariffs? Like a tourniquet ? A dangerous tool that, due to circumstances, may be necessary?
How should they be used?

I think they are fluid an have different impacts depending on the item.  Automobile tariffs impact the economy differently than Vodka tariffs.  At one time our manufacturing export tariffs had an advantage, but as manufacturing exports reduced, so did the advantages of tariffs.  At some point those had to be modified.  This doesn't even take into account consumer demand, which further complicates things.  

I think tariffs are complex and need continual evaluation and change.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - Today at 08:40:23

Tariffs are a tool of precision, Trump, as usual, is using them as a wrecking ball

‘Off the charts’: How Trump tariffs would shock U.S., world economies
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/off-charts-trump-tariffs-shock-013111202.html
Former president Donald Trump is campaigning on the most significant increase in tariffs in close to a century, preparing an attack on the international trade order that would probably raise prices, hurt the stock market and spark economic feuds with much of the world.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #9 - Today at 09:01:28

Yeah,,the four years of Trump were just terrible.. Phht.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/18/24 at 10:26:41

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › A 3 minute clip about tariffs. Makes sense.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.