Cam Tensioner Mod (Read 13 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Cam Tensioner Mod
Today at 04:59:18

I found this link buried in a post about the Savage on the Adventure Rider forum.  He refers to a guy (presumably Verslagen) that makes modified cam chain tensioners.  Then this “Redneck” (that’s what he calls himself, so no foul saying that) continues with making his own cam chain tensioner (not nearly as nice as Verslagen’s CCT).  Pretty informative and entertaining —> https://youtu.be/uTCDUXwOL8M

Here’s a link to the full Adventure Rider article about the Savage.  Note the link to Verslagen’s upgraded head cap plug on SuzukiSavage.com.

I thought the whole article was a pretty fair assessment of the LS650 Savage/S40 (you have to be able to accept some criticism, unbiased view, and critical thinking).

Well, I can’t find the actual article again now…duh..

Same author.  Slightly different write up with some references to SuzukiSavage.com (is he a member?).  
https://www.advrider.com/2008-suzuki-boulevard-s40-ls650-the-rodney-dangerfie...

There are several articles about our bike on Adventure Rider.

IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Re: Cam Tensioner Mod
Reply #1 - Today at 09:19:00

When I was riding those ,they got a decent amount of attention wherever it went. As for being a good starter bike, I couldn't agree more. A Suzuki shop manual and this forum will give anyone with just a decent grasp of mechanics the ability keep it on the road. And, like one of the comments said, some beginners Don't want to graduate to a bigger bike. It's plenty big enough for the casual rider for running errands, even heading over to the next town and doing twenty miles or so at seventy. For the smaller statured, it's awesome. If they would have had a low mileage Savage in inventory I would have grabbed it. I spent a few weeks hunting a local one. Just couldn't find one. So,today I'm going to get to adjust the chain on the 450. And lube it again. And clean the sprockets.
Yay chains,,, 😁

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - Today at 09:54:34

Hay Paul

I enjoyed you post !  and the links   Smiley

It brought me back to when I got my 96 Savage  Smiley Smiley

I've still got the original Wheels I took off to go tubeless if anybody needs them.  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - Today at 10:16:09

Hey guys!  Agree!  The article reminded me of the thought process I went through when I decided to buy a Savage.  After a 30+ year hiatus from riding, it sounded perfect.  I’m smaller in stature, can do some basic wrenching but I’m no mechanic or customizer, and I mostly wanted it for weekend fun and not cross country road trips.  I’m so grateful for the fellowship of this forum and everyone’s help walking me through issues I never could have tackled alone or with a Clymer Manual.

That said, I do still fall in/out of love with the Savage for various reasons.  Y’all’s Kawasaki Eliminator 450 and Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650 check a lot of the boxes for me too!  I like my Honda Shadow Sprit 750 too, but I wish it was 100lbs lighter and easier to work on.  Just digging the carbs out of the “V” is a royal PITA!

Sell those wheels on eBay, MM.  I had a set off a parts bike and they sold pretty quick (like $75-$100 for each, can’t remember exactly).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 13:15:22

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cam Tensioner Mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.