Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Savage Trans/Clutch Issue (Read 23 times)
Arty Dodger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport, LA
Savage Trans/Clutch Issue
09/25/24 at 16:27:01

Hi everyone,
I’m having some trouble with my 2016 Suzuki Savage and could really use some advice.
When I first got the bike, I changed the handlebars and used a different clutch cable. Unfortunately, that cable turned out to be too long, so I switched back to the original handlebars and clutch cable, replaced clutch rod with a longer one. Now, I can engage and disengage the clutch by hand, but when I start the bike and try to shift gears, it seems like the gears are skipping.

Here’s what’s happening:
-I start the bike in first gear.
-When I try to shift up, it feels like the gear lever goes all the way up and skips the gears.
-Finding neutral is very difficult; even the smallest movement with my foot changes the gears.
-When I shift from 1st to 2nd, it seems to go into 2nd, but I can’t shift any higher. It feels like something is preventing it from going into 3rd and 4th.

I haven’t taken off the left side cover yet to inspect it, but I’m wondering if the issue could be related to the foot pedal adjustment. Could it be that the clutch isn’t getting enough pressure, or maybe too much, to change the gears properly?

A lot of parts on the bike are aftermarket and custom, but the engine is still the same. I’m not sure what to do next. Should I:
-Open up the left side case to see what’s going on inside?
-Adjust the foot linkage (I think I tried this already)?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2007 Suzuki Savage to Bob or Die!
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Savage Trans/Clutch Issue
Reply #1 - 09/25/24 at 16:57:39

Open the RIGHT side crankcase cover (rear brake side of the bike).  That's where the clutch lives.  The left side (gear shifter side) reveals the alternator and starting gears.  I think you just mixed that up since you replaced the clutch rod.  I'm assuming you are referring to the clutch push rod that slides into the release plate.  ???

Can you take a pic of the gear shifter assembly?  It may be improperly aligned.

What is a foot pedal adjustment?  Never heard this...  Do you mean the external gear shifter assembly?  The footpegs are attached to the frame brackets.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/25/24 at 19:24:36

Arty Dodger wrote on 09/25/24 at 16:27:01:
Here’s what’s happening:
-I start the bike in first gear.

try starting in neutral, easier to find when off.
Quote:
-When I try to shift up, it feels like the gear lever goes all the way up and skips the gears.

can't be done, gears only shift 1 at a time. You can skip n, but not 2 gears, just not enough teeth on the shift mechanism.
Quote:
-Finding neutral is very difficult; even the smallest movement with my foot changes the gears.

Probably bad adjustment of the shift lever
Quote:
-When I shift from 1st to 2nd, it seems to go into 2nd, but I can’t shift any higher. It feels like something is preventing it from going into 3rd and 4th.

If your lever position is too far 1 way or another, it won't shift right.

the shift lever should point straight down.

next thing I think happened is you put in a longer shift rod, maybe it's too long.
look at the markings on the side of the case and compare with the clutch lever, the clutch lever should be in the middle.

WWW   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #3 - 09/25/24 at 20:39:13

Sounds like the shifting rod is hitting the bottom of the left side case. On most bikes to change the positon of the shifter you move the shifter on the spline that comes out of the case, not so with the S40.  If you move the shifter linkage on the spline the rod willl hit the case and you will have trouble. There should be a punch mark on the splined shaft and the linkage that goes on it. LINE THEM UP. To move the shifter adjust the length of the rod.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - Yesterday at 05:28:22

Great input guys!  Good details!

Badwolf - Great explanation on how to make the adjustment!  I did it wrong the first time I adjusted mine until someone pointed out I was making the adjustment in the wrong place.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - Yesterday at 17:27:20

Make sure the shift linkage is straight.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:21:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Trans/Clutch Issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.