ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: My new generator
Reply #30 - Today at 04:07:26

ThumperPaul wrote on Yesterday at 16:28:04:
That thing is a TANK!

At 880 pounds with fuel and oil - it does seem to be a bit excessive for just 5,000 watts!  I guess that when you go into battle you want something that is rock solid and going to get the job done.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #31 - Today at 04:43:56

Dave wrote on Yesterday at 16:07:32:
 In addition to the fuel level sensor there is a device with an upper and lower float - the upper one is a shut off for the fuel pump that takes fuel from a remote tank and pumps it into the main tank - the lower float senses that the tank is low and shuts off the engine (more on that later).

When everything was back together and I connected the battery and turned things on - the fuel pump would run for 3 seconds and stop....then the low fuel warning light would come on.  The fuel gauge read empty - however there was plenty of fuel in the tank.  I checked the new sender and it was working properly - if I turned on the "Battle Short" switch the fuel pump would run.  A check of the wires at the gauge showed it was properly grounded, was getting a proper signal from the sender in the fuel tank, and the gauge had power - therefore the gauge was bad......however this should not trigger a low fuel warning as the signals to the bad gauge were proper and the gauge does not send a signal to shut the engine down.

I found a thread were a guy had the same problem - when he turned on the "run" switch the pump would run 3 seconds and then stop and the low fuel warning would come on.  The thread stated it was the float switch with 2 senders that causes this.....the lower float tells the system it is out of fuel.  The sender in my tank was in good condition and the floats moved easily - and this problem did not exist prior to me cleaning the tank.

I thought about removing the float sender and looking at it - but first I decided to wiggle the generator around and slosh the fuel a bit to see if the float would move....and it worked!  The bottom float must have been hung up at the bottom and didn't move when I added fuel to the tank.  The fuel pump now runs continuously when the stitch it turned on and the warning light does not come on.  (The fuel gauge is still reading "empty" and a new replacement gauge is in the mail).

FloatSwitch.PNG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #32 - Today at 05:05:11

I'm still confused as to the Why all the complexity of the fuel system. It's got some really trick pump/self bleeding so if it runs outta fuel, ya don't have to crack injector lines and crank it until ya get the diesel to squirt out, but it also has a low fuel sensor to keep it from running out. I'm not against either one, I'm just wondering why they built it that way. I wonder how long it takes for the self purge/prime the pump and injectors if the low fuel sensor fails and ya Do run it out..
I've never heard of a system that would do that.

What is the big solenoid with the bellows and the arm going to the left? Looks a lot like a kill.

If you're running it but the load is insufficient to make it Tach up to avoid the Wet Stack problem, what do you have to do?
Is that problem a big enough deal to make a guy think about changing the exhaust stack design? If it didn't go Up, YaKnow?

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #33 - Today at 06:15:13

Dave, that’s kinda what I was thinking.  It’s definitely battle ready!  It’s cool that it runs on diesel and you have a single common fuel source for all your toys!

I have a little gas powered 3500w (4500w surge rated) generator.  It’s been a true blessing when we’ve had hurricanes and long power outages.  The longest we’ve had to use it continuously was Feb, 2021 when “snowmaggedon” hit Houston and knocked out power for 5 days.  We stayed around 15° for a week - extremely unusual around here.

I am able to run a small 6000btu A/C window unit in the main living area, deep freezer, fridge, TV, LED bulb lamp, and have power leftover to charge phones or use something else small.  I have to turn off the TV or AC to use the coffee maker (gotta have coffee!).  Anything that “makes heat” sucks some power (you know that).  I’ve run the toaster oven and microwave in a pinch and you can hear that engine chugging right up to the 4500 surge rated power.  We don’t use those anymore - I’d rather not blow the generator and lose AC because somebody wanted toast or something.

Cool project!  I like that BEAST!  Hopefully you rarely, if ever, have to use it!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/18/24 at 09:22:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › My new generator

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.