YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: My new generator
Reply #15 - Today at 09:07:04

MMRanch wrote on Yesterday at 20:29:17:
Dave your the mechanic , I'll have to pat ya on the back for this one !   I wouldn't want to jump on a project like that !!  Wink

The fuel system and engine are not any more intimidating than working on a diesel tractor.  The engine is a 2 cylinder Lister-Petter design that was built by Onan.

The electrical system is far more intimidating - it is incredibly complex.  The engine shuts down for low fuel, low oil pressure, overheating or over voltage.  The electrical system can also make single phase or 3 phase in 120 or 240 with the turn of a switch.  There are knobs to fine tune the frequency as well as the voltage.  There is an electric pump that pulls the fuel from the tank and carries it to the injectors, and another pump that can be run to another fuel tank - this pump comes on when the main fuel tank drops to 1/3 and then shuts off when the fuel tank reaches 3/4 full.

IMG_3984.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - Today at 09:09:16

There is also a "BATTLE SHORT" switch that you can set and it will ignore all of the safety devices and just keep running regardless!
Shocked

IMG_3916.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - Today at 09:37:58

Tractor PTO generators work great - my brother in law had one on his dairy farm and they needed it anytime the power was out at milking time....and to keep the bulk tank cool.

I wanted something smaller and more fuel efficient than my tractor - this generator uses 1/2 gallon an hour at the full 5,000 watt capacity.  I also wanted a diesel generator so that I could use the fuel oil I keep in my 270 gallon tank for my tractor and mower.

I am not necessarily a "prepper" but the recent storm event in western North Carolina is a perfect example of why I wanted to be prepared for an extended power outage.  It has been more than a week since the storm, and people are without water, electricity, cell or internet service.  Many people are still lost and/or waiting to get help, and I have read several postings of volunteer help and supplies being turned away by FEMA and other government officials.  (One story even said that FEMA would not allow volunteers to give bottled water - as the water was not from the "approved" vendor for water!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 12:28:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › My new generator

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.