Send Topic Print
Worn clutch (Read 62 times)
macsmotors
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Worn clutch
09/15/24 at 13:20:19

Just to prove that yes you can kill clutch plates in a savage. I got this for 200usd got it running great and am making a chop out of her, well the clutch arm was way out of wack so pulled the cover to see the rod length and check cam chain tensioner and Holly hell I don't know how this bike ever moved(I did not ride it)

IP Logged
macsmotors
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Worn clutch
Reply #1 - 09/15/24 at 13:26:03

Hopefully this loads [img][/img]

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 09/16/24 at 06:32:55

Hard life....  What's the year and mileage?

I just tore down a 2000 Savage with unknown mileage and the fiber discs were worn down to the wear limit.  The steels were down to 1.3mm (new is 1.6mm), but there isn't a spec I can find for the steels wear limit.  But, I'd say 1.3mm is done.

Agree.  Yes, they can wear out....  and riding style (or abuse) and maintenance (or lack of) will dictate their life span.

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #3 - 09/16/24 at 07:59:16

I had the same thing once, I think it was caused by petrol that had leaked into the engine block through a leaking tap.

I also tried to clean the plates with white spirit once. After soaking overnight, the cork swelled up.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
macsmotors
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/16/24 at 08:04:14

zevenenergie wrote on 09/16/24 at 07:59:16:
I had the same thing once, I think it was caused by petrol that had leaked into the engine block through a leaking tap.

https://i.imgur.com/RhHuinNm.jpg

I also tried to clean the plates with white spirit once. After soaking overnight, the cork swelled up.
I assume that is what happens here too. And the PO just ride it harder when they slipped. There was definitely gas in the oil I am changing over to the god ol raptor petcock just need to make a note to turn the gas off (fi bikes have made me forget)

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 09/16/24 at 08:37:45

That be delamination , adhesive failure. Gasoline , certain solvents and even water can cause the failure. Soak new plates in motor oil overnight before installation. If reusing plates do not clean them with anything , soak in motor oil , wipe dry with clean rag.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
macsmotors
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/17/24 at 07:42:04

ThumperPaul wrote on 09/16/24 at 06:32:55:
Hard life....  What's the year and mileage?

I just tore down a 2000 Savage with unknown mileage and the fiber discs were worn down to the wear limit.  The steels were down to 1.3mm (new is 1.6mm), but there isn't a spec I can find for the steels wear limit.  But, I'd say 1.3mm is done.

Agree.  Yes, they can wear out....  and riding style (or abuse) and maintenance (or lack of) will dictate their life span.
Mileage on odometer 9k ish. Cam chain tensioner is well within spec so no reason to think its not 9k. Oh yeah the kid I purchased it off of did not seem like the type for maintenance (a lot of things sprayed painted flat black that I have had to strip and polish) I have a new cluch kit (plates and fibers) on the way. Just going to soak them for 24 hours in some good rotella and get them in.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 09/17/24 at 08:05:17

Great plan.  That should do it!

PO - rattle can paint stuff flat black and ignore maintenance.  Sadly, there are many like him!  You got it nice a cheap though!  Score if that’s the only thing majorly wrong.  Let me guess - the tires are 10+ years old….

IP Logged
macsmotors
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/17/24 at 08:38:56

tires oddly enough where only 4 years old. I had to rewire a few things which is fine since I wanted to trim it down anyways. PO thought it needed a new stator (the stator looks like it was replaced before him and who ever installed it felt twisting the wires together was a long term way to connect wires) I removed the kick stand and clutch safety crap and removed front blinkers and trimmed down and redid as much wiring as I could also doesnt have the auto decomp which is fine not really worried about it putting in a manual thumb one that I will forget to use 99% of the time anyways. I suck at wiring and had to push my self to learn to read wiring diagrams. luckily these are about as basic as you can get for how they are wired. Only thing I wish I could find is a mac exhuast the full system. I am waiting on new fork legs to come in which will be about 6-7 inch over stock. (KLR 650 before 2002 I believe are 38mm so just putting thous in the savage lower and doing new oil seals. will need to put some pre load spacers of appropriate lenth too) also yes I know the forks are way long and handling is going to be effected.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 09/17/24 at 09:46:31

That’s cool!  I hate electrical myself!

I have a brand new never installed MAC muffler in the original box.  It has the 2” inlet on the muffler. But I don’t have the 2” header to go with it.  I’ve got it listed on eBay for $59.95 + shipping.  I could sell it for $52 outside of eBay and avoid their fees.  PM me if interested.

IP Logged
macsmotors
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/17/24 at 17:24:23

ThumperPaul wrote on 09/17/24 at 09:46:31:
That’s cool!  I hate electrical myself!

I have a brand new never installed MAC muffler in the original box.  It has the 2” inlet on the muffler. But I don’t have the 2” header to go with it.  I’ve got it listed on eBay for $59.95 + shipping.  I could sell it for $52 outside of eBay and avoid their fees.  PM me if interested.

Appreciate it really want the full thing which used to be available anywhere for nothing and now it's rare as hens teeth

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 09/17/24 at 18:17:41

Hens teeth.  Good one!

I think Dave sold a complete Mac system for $350 (new) within the last year.  I can’t say I’ve ever known them to be cheap.

Personally, I’m wanting to find (or have custom made) a header with 1.75”OD and about 1.625 ID.  IMO that’s all it needs if I go with a more aggressive cam.  I don’t see myself doing a big bore or high comp piston that might benefit from a 2” header and exhaust port job.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 09:35:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Worn clutch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.