Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Optimizing Oil Pressure for a Low Thumping Idle (Read 30 times)
Old Savage Eddie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

La Coruna, Spain
Optimizing Oil Pressure for a Low Thumping Idle
09/13/24 at 08:25:20

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking a lot about DragBikeMike's post on the “Oil System Evaluation and Upgrade,” specifically about modifying the drive gears to achieve an overdrive configuration. After reading it, I was completely sold on the idea. Then, when FinnHammer and others adopted the mod as well, it really solidified my decision that it's worth implementing.

My approach will be a bit simpler—no additional tubing to direct excess oil flow to the gears, just an oil bleed at the filter housing. I'll be running a straightforward setup with a few mods: a Weisco 94mm pop-top piston, a cam sourced from Lancer, and a new Dyna Muffler.

What I’m aiming for now is a low idle to get that great "thumping" sound, which is currently detrimental to the engine’s lifespan. With the modifications to the oil pump drive increasing idle oil pressure, what are your thoughts on achieving a low “thumping” idle without compromising the engine's longevity?

More horsepower, less exhaust.
  IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Re: Optimizing Oil Pressure for a Low Thumping Idl
Reply #1 - 09/13/24 at 09:41:16

I've thought about that too every time I saw the topic.
But how low can you go?is the mod. worth it for that reason alone?

I think that you can calculate how low you can make it tumb using the new and old gear ratio of the oil pump.

I can't find the topic with the search engine (I've never managed to find anything, I guess it's just me)
Otherwise I would calculate it.

I think it's legit and that it can be done without damage.

Those were my thoughts on it, quite limited I admit but you asked  Wink

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 09/13/24 at 14:54:27

Eddy, just my opinion, shy of installing a V-Twin engine in the Savage, nothing will make it sound much better than a farm implement.  All that cacophony emanating from the valve train and air-cooled cylinder, combined with the thump, thump, thump, it will always sound like a lawn mower.  But one man's racket is another's music.

Even with the overdrive pump gears, I still like to run my idle at 1300 rpm.  If you want to run yours down below 1000, I suggest you install an oil pressure gage off the head cover.  It's very easy to do and you will have your head cover removed for the cam install.  That way, you can establish a safe threshhold for your idle speed.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 09/13/24 at 15:07:18

Cacophony!  Great word for the Savage valve train noise, DBM!  My vocabulary is rather limited, so I would say caca-poo-poo!  (Like in “Bruce Almighty”.)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 09:46:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Optimizing Oil Pressure for a Low Thumping Idle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.