KTM Sales Slump (Read 221 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
KTM Sales Slump
09/04/24 at 05:10:07

Is it an industry-wide sales slump or is KTM just losing ground relative to the competition?

Sales results are slightly positive in Europe and India.  Sales are sagging in North America, Australia, and China.

We know it as KTM, but they are owned by Pierer Mobility (Austrian) and co-owned by Baja Auto (Indian).  Pierer also owns the brands Husqvarna, GasGas, MV Augusta (50.1%) and WP Suspension.

Ownership structure, branding, and manufacturing locations have become blurred and muddied.  The meticulously engineered Austrian motors for the KTM bikes (under around 700cc) are ALL now made by CFMOTO in China.  So the KTM brand is owned by an Austrian and India parent company and most of the KTM motors are built by CFMOTO in China.  So the overpriced and overrated KTM motorcycle is an Aus-Ind-Chi motorcycle.  It’s an Ausindchi motorcycle.

I’ve owned a CFMOTO scooter and it had a pretty good quality build.  I really can’t knock CFMOTO and I can see how KTM decided to partner with them for engine production.  Oh, CFMOTO produces the entire KTM motorcycle for sales in the Chinese market under the KTM brand name.  I bet Chinese cyclists know KTM bikes are built by CFMOTO in China.  I also bet China sales are slumping because any potential buyer in China that can actually afford to pay the premium price for a KTM wants a “real KTM” and not something that was built in China (they know).

Layoffs in higher production cost countries and shifting to lower cost production countries is nothing new in the globalization of world markets.  Looking at where sales are slumping though, I suspect buyers in these regions are catching on that the once renowned Austrian-engineered and built KTM is taking some cost-cutting shortcuts in production by shifting to China and India.  It doesn’t matter if the build quality is comparable, it’s the perception of cheap Chinese/Indian junk and nationalist pride that are hurting sales.  Buyers don’t want to pay a premium price for a perceived generic assembly line bike with questionable DNA.  And KTM hasn’t passed along any of the production cost savings to consumers in the form of lower prices.

Real or perceived quality concerns, KTM (Pierer Mobility) is tarnishing their own reputation.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2024/september/pierer-announce-further-jo...

« Last Edit: 09/04/24 at 09:38:37 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: KTM Sales Slump
Reply #1 - 09/08/24 at 21:01:51

Best as I can tell is CFMoto skipped everything and went for the throat. They want World Grand Prix titles , you watch it starts as advertising next thing will be winning on Sunday then selling on Monday !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 09/09/24 at 06:06:00

Well , Here's the problem ... they have "Too Many Indians , and Not Enough Chiefs "   :
From the article :   of MV Agusta adding 213 members of staff.

An additional 200 employees are set to lose to lose their jobs in the third quarter, with 373 already laid off since the year began.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #3 - 09/09/24 at 10:30:21

The KTM's I'm familiar with are all too tall for me. I have been to a CFMoto Demo day and found most of the bikes I rode that day be be very nice. It was unfortunate that the one I was most interested in was the one I liked the least after riding it. From what I've read and from riding the bikes I believe CFMoto probably does have a decent product.

The bike that has come out now that has really captured my attention though is the Moto Morini 700cc cruiser. I can't recall it's name at the moment but it is a really nice looking bike and somewhere in the 450 lbs range. I think I need to play the lottery this week! Grin Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 09/09/24 at 21:27:51

OuuAaa , that a nice looking one , but I can't understand a word of it  :

https://nieuwsmotor.nl/nieuws/persberichten/nieuw-moto-morini-calibro-700cc-crui
ser/
Smiley

Hang in there Springman , I waited 2 year for my 650 Meteor to come to the USA , I hope your gets here a bit sooner !   Smiley Smiley

I did make out the part of 750mm seat height and the tires being 18F/16R.

They all have ample power and the 15L fuel tank looks nice too !   I was ridding with a fella on a 1400cc HD today that said he only got 28mpg for every day ridding !  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #5 - 09/10/24 at 09:41:48

Yep, can't understand a word there either. But she sure is a good looking bike!! Cool

I like the 50+ mpg on the S-40 and even the 42+ mpg on my last century (1997) 1100cc Honda Shadow Spirit. Grin Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 09/11/24 at 04:37:29

Worldwide sales of motorcycles is likely a very complex issue - but I believe the lack of motorcycle production/sales during the supply chain shortage caused a big increase in sales once the issue was resolved and folks could buy motorcycles again.  Right now the sales have dropped as folks have been able to buy motorcycles the last year or two and have not yet worn out or gotten tired of their new bikes.

I also believe that a lot of folks are a bit nervous about the economy and are waiting to see what happens before they go out and buy things that are not completely necessary.  The cost of groceries/utilities/taxes have increased and taken a big bite out of the "fun money" account.

I also believe that KTM is a bit of a "Hooligan" bike.  Their motorcycles are performance based and they don't really make models that appeal to a lot of folks - plenty of dirt bikes, sport bikes, naked bikes, supermoto and adventure touring bikes.......but no comfy touring bikes or cruisers.  My neighbor just bought a KTM 890.  The bike is very tall and I can only touch the ground using one tippy toe at a time.  It has 105HP that is very aggressive and a bit scary at how quickly it reacts to throttle changes.  The wind/weather protection is minimal and is limited to keeping wind off your chest.......the other parts are exposed to the full wind blast at speed.  It is a fun bike to ride - but tiring for long distance rides

I do believe that the 390 and 890 Duke naked models would be fun to carve curves in the mountains - but my Cafe' Savage already does that for me and I don't need another motorcycle for doing that.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 09/11/24 at 06:57:16

Worldwide sales of motorcycles is likely a very complex issue - but I believe the lack of motorcycle production/sales during the supply chain shortage caused a big increase in sales once the issue was resolved and folks could buy motorcycles again.

Well , I'm doing my part ... I've bought two new Motorcycles in the last two year.   The advances in ride quality and engine fuel consumption has changed a lot , the 650cc is getting 65 to 70 mpg on a regular basics.   My old bones and my wallet are both appreciative !   Smiley

I shouldn't need to buy another one for a long time now ... Maybe a better way to say that might be :  The Bike buying budget is depleted for the  next few years !  Grin        
But
I hope to squeeze in something like a Trail 125 some time , ?

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #8 - 09/11/24 at 08:25:50

Sounds like the bike buying budget isn't truly depleted. Grin Grin

As much as I would like to have a new bike I barely have enough room for 2 so would have to get rid of one. Deciding which bike to get rid of would be a tremendously difficult decision to make. Don't think I want to do that.

IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #9 - 09/11/24 at 10:12:08

650cc is getting 65 to 70 mpg..

CarrumBahhHumbuggery!!
My 450 is hitting around fifty to sixty,

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 09/11/24 at 10:48:56

springman wrote on 09/11/24 at 08:25:50:
Sounds like the bike buying budget isn't truly depleted. Grin Grin

As much as I would like to have a new bike I barely have enough room for 2 so would have to get rid of one. Deciding which bike to get rid of would be a tremendously difficult decision to make. Don't think I want to do that.

Note a problem if you have space in the back yard and enough access for a truck to get in.  I’m moving and getting a 12x28 garage brought in.  It’s not a lot of space but it quick and movable if needed.  For 2 bikes, tools & parts, I think it will be adequate.
If your situation doesn’t allow that, then … just 2.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 09/11/24 at 10:52:56

JOG wrote on 09/11/24 at 10:12:08:
650cc is getting 65 to 70 mpg..

CarrumBahhHumbuggery!!
My 450 is hitting around fifty to sixty,

My Savage (700) and 71 BSA (650) both get milage in the 60’s.

IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #12 - 09/11/24 at 12:06:56

I've always liked you, man. Don't start making it hard for me, okay?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 09/11/24 at 14:42:01

Who are you referring to ?
Me, Springman or MM ?

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 09/11/24 at 20:19:51

Hay JOG

If I ride like a Hooligan the millage can drop down to the low 50's .  
But
I do try to drive like a Gentleman my real age most of the time ...  Smiley
Till , somebody puts a twisty patch of blacktop in front of me !   Roll Eyes

Dern CarrumBahhHumbuggery twisty Roads !!  Grin

That's OK , I know a few other folks who have the same problem !   Wink

Hi , my name is Mike and My Throttle has a problem sometimes !   Embarrassed

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 09:34:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › KTM Sales Slump

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.