Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Starting a Cafe Build! Read sets and Swingarm Mods (Read 172 times)
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Starting a Cafe Build! Read sets and Swingarm
Reply #15 - 08/27/24 at 12:55:32

What about forks from another suzuki cafe bike? Which ones? I'm just gathering information right now

03 savage bobbed by previous owner. (Hack job) custom handle bars, springer seat, wrapped header, pod filter. Work in progress
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 08/27/24 at 13:31:35

Bohica88 wrote on 08/27/24 at 12:55:32:
What about forks from another suzuki cafe bike? Which ones? I'm just gathering information right now

Changing forks to something from another bike is not a simple task in most cases.  The Intruder forks can be swapped over - but you will also need the triple clamps, brakes, front wheel, etc. as those items from the Savage won't fit the Intruder forks which are wider.  I also believe the Intruder forks are longer and will not help to make the Cafe' look you are after.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 08/27/24 at 13:34:45

Ok good to know. Is there already a stock spacer in the tube's? I had to re do the lower fork bearing and upper as the lower was packed with old grease and dirt.

03 savage bobbed by previous owner. (Hack job) custom handle bars, springer seat, wrapped header, pod filter. Work in progress
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 08/27/24 at 13:38:50

There are no spacers in the lower forks from the factory.  If you install spacers you begin to limit the amount of travel and need to stiffen up the springs to prevent the forks from bottoming out with the reduced travel.

RYCA installed spacers to get the front down 2" from stock - the ride is reported to be horrible!

Dropping the forks in the yoke or having the tubes shortened retains the full travel and ride quality.

IP Logged
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 08/27/24 at 13:47:46

Hmmm when I took off the tube caps there were smaller tube's inside. Are those spacers or no?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 08/27/24 at 16:10:18

Those are preload spacers.  They do not reduce travel.  Travel reducing spacers are installed in the lower fork.  It's a common practice, but it's as crud as the forks on the bike.  I would use one of the other methods.

Google is your friend...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klaPwtm2AX0

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 08/27/24 at 18:09:53

Bohica88 wrote on 08/27/24 at 13:47:46:
Hmmm when I took off the tube caps there were smaller tube's inside. Are those spacers or no?

As Ohio said - that is how the preload on the springs is adjusted.  The length of those can be adjusted to tune the forks to your weight - or make adjustments for any weight or chassis change you create on the bike.

Installing longer rear shocks will move some weight forward and you may need to make adjustments to those spacers.  New spacers can be made from PVC water pipe.

IP Logged
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Some cafe build q's
Reply #22 - 08/28/24 at 09:07:10

1.Why change wheel size? Tire selection  and what else?

2. Are you raising the rear ends? Different shocks or different shock placement?

3. Why not use the stock speedo and fab a housing to mount on the bars? I was looking at it last night and thought it would look pretty sick up there.

4. I frequent the local salvage yard and wondered what foot controls would mount up and work with the least modification.  While I have a grinder and welder I'm out of practice.

I think that's all I have at the moment.  Thought it best to put all my questions here rather than hijacking other people's threads.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Some cafe build q's
Reply #23 - 08/29/24 at 03:34:27

1.Why change wheel size? Tire selection  and what else? Cruisers use 15 & 16 inch diameter wheels with wide, tall and heavy tires.  All that mass helps the bike stay stable - it hurts acceleration and cornering.  Cafe' bikes emulate the "sport" and "race" bikes from 50 years ago that were looking for performance and speed.  Norton/BMW/Ducati/Triumph and similar bikes ran narrow tires by current standards and they have excellent handling.  A 4.00x18 rear tire was very capable of holding up a 400 pound bike with 60 or more HP - and can still do so today.   I ran a 110/90-18 rear tire on my bike when I had a 2.50x18 rim and I never lacked for traction and the tire did not wear out any faster than the 130/70-18 tire I currently run on a 3.50-18 rim.

2. Are you raising the rear ends? Different shocks or different shock placement? Most of the Cafe' or Tracker projects use longer rear shocks to change the rake of the bike (along with lowered forks).  I am running 340mm shocks on mine - which is really at the maximum height.....if you go any higher the angle of the swingarm is excessive and you have problems with belt tension.  With longer shocks you need to run the drive belt a bit looser at rest - the belt tightens when you ride the bike and the shocks compress.  

3. Why not use the stock speedo and fab a housing to mount on the bars? I was looking at it last night and thought it would look pretty sick up there.  The stock speedometer is not all that accurate - and it gets even worse when you start changing wheel and tire size.  Routing a stiff drive cable up to the handlebars is not easy - nor is finding a proper length cable.  Using a GPS speedometer is much easier and accurate - plus you get extra features like a trip odometer.  You can also use less expensive speedometers that use a magnet on the wheel to measure the speed/distance - you just need to mount the sensor on the bike and and a magnet on the rim.

4. I frequent the local salvage yard and wondered what foot controls would mount up and work with the least modification.  While I have a grinder and welder I'm out of practice. There are several threads in the Bike Build Section that detail what others have done.  For me the easiest method is to use pegs that have the lever for the shifter or brake lever built into the peg.  This saves you the trouble of having to fabricate brake/shifter pedals and the bearings.  Making the footpegs and control levers is one of the most labor intensive parts of building a Cafe' or Tracker.  Most modern motorcycles use a hydraulic rear brake and the brake pedal is not configured for a brake cable - so adapting pegs from a newer bike is not easy......and similarly older bikes with cable or lever activated brakes are often very cumbersome to adapt the mounts

I think that's all I have at the moment.  Thought it best to put all my questions here rather than hijacking other people's threads.

If you go look through the Bike Builds you will see how others have built peg mounts for their bikes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 09:01:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starting a Cafe Build! Read sets and Swingarm Mods

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.