Send Topic Print
Smoking at start up (Read 133 times)
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoking at start up
08/18/24 at 16:36:04

Just went out to see if the bike would fire up for me tomorrow to ride to work as we were out camping. After a couple seconds white smoke came rolling out the exhaust.  This is something new for the bike. Never has smoked before.

03 savage bobbed by previous owner. (Hack job) custom handle bars, springer seat, wrapped header, pod filter. Work in progress
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Smoking at start up
Reply #1 - 08/18/24 at 18:10:36

Has the weather suddenly gotten cooler and damp?

Hold a mirror in front of the exhaust where the smoke is.  If it is water vapor it will just leave water droplets......if it is fuel or oil it will leave messy spots.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 08/18/24 at 18:49:47

It’s probably related to your air/fuel mix screw that isn’t going into the bore correctly.  Did you get the new spring and washer?  I’m surprised your bike runs at all with the mix screw not in there correctly (almost falling out) and your idle turned up super high to compensate.  You need to get that resolved first.

When you removed and reinstalled your mix screw something happened.  I’m guessing you haven’t done anything with your carb since you posted about it and are waiting for parts.

IP Logged
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/18/24 at 18:57:53

It's not steam. Would too much fuel ..... hmmm going the check idle mix screw

03 savage bobbed by previous owner. (Hack job) custom handle bars, springer seat, wrapped header, pod filter. Work in progress
  IP Logged
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/18/24 at 19:58:20

Thumper. No I'm waiting for the correct screw which should be here Thursday.  I out the screw back the way it was and it fired right up. I only went to check the idle mix screw to see if the carb was set right as the previous owner wasn't a mechanic by any means and pa8d someone $300 together this carb running right. I don't this they bothered to check the oil level. While I had this thing apart I did and oil and filter change. (Brace yourself. ) there was 6.5 qts of oil in this motor.  Shocked um no wonder it ran like crap. It was fighting against its life blood to stay running. Anyway. I'll get this beast back to normal.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 08/19/24 at 04:14:58

Are you sure it was 6.5 quarts of oil, and not a mixture of 2 quarts oil and 4.5 quarts gasoline?  Did it smelly gasy and was it really thin?

With that much oil (or whatever) in there, did you check and drain the “puke tube” coming off the bottom of the air box?  The crankcase breather hose attaches to the air box.  When the motor tries to breath with that much oil/gas in it, it’s going to puke a bunch of oil/gas into the oil “catch” portion of the air box.  It would not surprise me if the catch area is completely full and possibly even saturated the air filter with oily/gasy puke.

Something is really wrong with your air/fuel mix screw only going partially into the bore.  Just putting it back in there hanging by a couple threads like the prior “mechanic” did it isn’t a good solution.  And if the 6.5 quarts was an oily/gassy mixture, the float valve in your carb may be sticking open or the float level is set too high.

I’m 99.9% sure everything you’ve described is related to carb issues.  At least get that corrected and see if it solves your problems or you can rule it out and look for something else.

If you think the bike runs “okay” now, just wait until you get the carb issues resolved.  It will be night and day difference.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 08/19/24 at 04:43:01

Based on everything you’ve mentioned, here’s what I suspect….

The $300 mechanic wasn’t a mechanic.
The mechanic broke off the air/fuel mix screw trying to remove it.
The air/fuel mix screw is now set at 5-7 turns out (where the mechanic got stuck trying to remove it).  Super rich.
To compensate for the super rich setting, the mechanic cranked up the idle super high to get more air in there and get the bike to run.
Mechanic tells on himself to the owner that the air/fuel mix screw broke off in there and he just piled a new screw on top of it to make it look like the carb was ok.
Mechanic probably also bent up the float valve handling the carb and/or put a cheap float valve in there from some fleabay special carb kit.
Owner sells bike because of botched carb job and it didn’t run like before he took it to the mechanic.

I’ve lost count of how many bikes (mostly pit bikes) I’ve bought and fixed that had a similar story (once you unravel the mystery).

Your left footrest hack job screams someone didn’t do things right.  It’s one of those little things that’s a big red flag as to how the bike had been maintained and cared for.

IP Logged
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/19/24 at 05:26:30

The oil that came out was oil. The old air filter was soaked with oil prior to my oil change. My "idle mix screw" won't even go into where it needs to in order to do it's job properly.  I did find an o ring in there. The cavity and threads look good. I mistakenly said Thursday for my parts getting here. It should be tomorrow.  Till then I'm not going to ride the bike. So far everything inside the cavity for the idle mix screw looks good. The breather tube hasn't puked anything during the one ride I did make to and from work which the bike ran great beside idling high.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 08/19/24 at 08:30:09

Well…. I’m totally stumped then why your air/fuel mix screw won’t thread down in there further!  I’d still suspect the threads are messed up….or maybe that screw you have isn’t the right thread pitch and the threads don’t match the carb.  It should go in there almost like a hot knife thru butter.  It should feel clean with no harsh resistance except for a little spring pressure.

I’ve heard of people completely filling the motor with oil for longterm winter storage.  Maybe that’s what happened there.  Glad you caught it before riding it 100s of miles completely full!

Good luck.  Maybe somebody else has some ideas.

IP Logged
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/19/24 at 13:35:13

I think because my mix screw looks like it belongs in a holley carb not ours

20240815_104242_001.jpg

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #10 - 08/19/24 at 15:00:36

YES!  Look at the pic Verslagen posted.  It’s totally different - the tip, thread location, thread pitch!

Hopefully you didn’t damage the threads in the carb cramming that thing in there!

IMG_5345.jpeg
  IP Logged
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/19/24 at 18:46:56

It was in there when I got the bike. New part on it's way. Then I'll set the carb.

IP Logged
Savard 05

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #12 - 08/20/24 at 03:44:25

Just wanted to add this happen to me when I bought my bike the air screw was 2 -3 sizes too big and when I first started it up exhaust started glowing red and alotta white smoke up front by header. I did a piston soak so figured that was some of the smoke. I don't know what people do lol anyway might want to double check carb bc I know mine was missing washer under main jet also. It sounds like you may of had somewhere in there messing around that didn't know what they were doing... Good luck

IP Logged
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/20/24 at 05:25:04

Is this sudden smoke something I need to worry about or could it be something that will burn off? Wrenching is not new to me. Working on bikes is.  I was in my late teens when I rode bikes last. Just don't want  to blow up my motor

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #14 - 08/20/24 at 05:44:53

I know you got the bike with that ridiculous thing partially rammed in there.  With that thing being nowhere close to where it needs to be for a good setting, your bike is set up super rich and it’s being compensated for by cranking up the idle screw really high.

I wouldn’t be running or riding the bike with that thing in there.  Wait until you have the new parts.  Once you get the carb straightened out, you can reassess if you still have a smoking problem.  Obviously make sure you don’t have oil accumulated in the air box from having 6.5 quarts of oil in the motor (pull the puke plug and let it drain).  And replace the air filter if it’s oiled up and nasty.

Install the new pilot screw, washer, spring, and o-ring, and gently seat it all the way in, then back it out 2 turns.  That will give you a good starting point setting.  Don’t be surprised if it fires up and idles really high at like 2,500rpms.  Be ready to back off the idle screw 1-3 turns (not sure where it’s at right now, but it’s too high).

Once you get it to idle ok, go for a short 10 minute ride and get the motor up to full operating temperature.  Then go through the procedure to finalize the air/fuel mixture setting.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 14:54:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Smoking at start up

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.