Send Topic Print
Loose peg (Read 78 times)
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Loose peg
08/11/24 at 11:48:56

Also my left foot peg wants to flop down. Previous owner jammed a bolt in the way to help hold the peg in place. What do I need to do to make this thing more solidly mounted?

20240811_114654.jpg

03 savage bobbed by previous owner. (Hack job) custom handle bars, springer seat, wrapped header, pod filter. Work in progress
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Loose peg
Reply #1 - 08/11/24 at 12:25:43

That thing is all kinds of messed up (nut and bolt orgy holding it in).  The peg is twisted sideways too.

If the bracket is okay, the peg needs to be repositioned correctly (rotated up and down) and a new screw and cushion needs to be installed.

You at least need Part #8 & 10 (screw and cushion).  You may also need 6 & 12 (bar and "washer" as they call it).  

You'll have to remove the current mess and see what you got...

See the parts diagram here.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2005/boulevard-s40-ls650/...

IP Logged
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/11/24 at 18:43:16

The peg seems fine. There's nothing to stop it from flopping forward like on the other side. Bracket doesn't look like it's broke in anyway.

03 savage bobbed by previous owner. (Hack job) custom handle bars, springer seat, wrapped header, pod filter. Work in progress
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 08/12/24 at 04:19:20

That’s good.  Here’s a pic with the footrest off the bracket.  This is about the angle of the peg position when installed.  And you can see the correct bolt and cushion (stop).  Note: this peg is slightly bent, but still functional.

The footrest should be able to flex (bend) upwards/back once installed.  Like if you were scraping the pegs going around a corner.   It would “give a little” (flex up) and wake up your foot.  If it were rigid, and you scraped the peg, it could knock the bike off your intended path.  Make sense?

Hopefully the threads aren’t messed up where the correct bolt connects.  The way those bolts are just wadded and wedged in there on yours makes me wonder if the threads are okay.  What a mess.  I don’t know how someone could do such a shoddy job (although I’ve seen similar).

IMG_5190-compressed.jpeg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/12/24 at 08:54:22

Bohica88 wrote on 08/11/24 at 18:43:16:
The peg seems fine. There's nothing to stop it from flopping forward like on the other side. Bracket doesn't look like it's broke in anyway.

either the peg or the mount are not fine, peg shouldn't flop forward, it should go up.

take apart, take pictures.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 08/12/24 at 10:51:40

Sounds to me like someone took a righty and tried to make it a lefty if you think about what's going on here. The part numbers are the same except 5 and 7? Maybe?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 08/12/24 at 14:48:37

I see what you're saying Stewmills.  With those nuts and bolts wadded up in there who knows.

IP Logged
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/12/24 at 18:22:46

Thumper mine had a pad like the one you showed but minus one of the rings.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 08/13/24 at 06:53:07

The cushion can probably hang in there on one loop (once it’s trapped in there correctly) if you don’t want to buy a new one, but you need the right bolt passing thru it (and not that mess).

And I still can’t tell if your peg is rotated 90° or if Stewmills is right about it being a right side peg crammed in there all jacked up on the left side.

« Last Edit: 08/14/24 at 05:57:08 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/14/24 at 05:34:03

I'll pull it off and take a pic for ya

IP Logged
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/26/24 at 20:14:34

So I ordered the correct peg and cushion from the site someone posted. So that issue is now settled. Solid and secure footpeg. Thanks guys

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 08/27/24 at 05:04:46

👍

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print