Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vacuum hose plug when replacing petcock (Read 34 times)
DaveFromCanada
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vacuum hose plug when replacing petcock
08/02/24 at 07:23:48

I am an absolute newbie - or close to when it comes to mechanical stuff.

This may have been answered before, but I could not find it.

The bike runs fine on 'prime' after stalling issues. So I figure, Petcock.
I ordered a replacement, but I understand the vacuum line has to be plugged (described as being available at an auto parts store). Can anyone point me to the right-sized plug? I found some stuff on Amazon, but I don't know what I am looking at. I have a UAP right around the corner who would likely have the right thing.

I wanted to have the plug here before the petcock arrives so I can get it done in one shot.

thanks for your patience.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Vacuum hose plug when replacing petcock
Reply #1 - 08/02/24 at 13:47:39

Leave the hose attatched to the carb. Find something that you can stick in the other end - little bolt, golf tee, anything that you can push in there to plug the hose that wont fall out; run the hose up to the frame under the tank and secure it with a cable tie. Those little rubber plugs that they sell at auto stores are garbage. They wont last a year.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 08/03/24 at 06:09:56

Vacuum line caps.  You can buy an assortment package at about any auto parts store.  They will be SAE sizes as metric seems to elude the United States.

I can’t remember which size fit tight.  It was either 5/16” or 3/8”.

Here’s an Amazon ad to give you an idea of what you’re looking for. Assortment packages at the auto parts store will only have 10-15 caps (not 80 like this amazon product).  While shoving a golf tee or screw or something else in the hose will work, it’s an ugly and unprofessional look in my opinion.

https://www.amazon.com/BUSY-CORNER-Assortment-Dropper-Carburetor-Manifold/dp/...

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 08/03/24 at 07:46:42

Yup, those are the plugs. The assortment I bought at the local Auto Zone was about the same price as that Amazon kit except that it only had ten plugs in it, only two of which actually fit on the carb. Neither was impervious to the fumes coming from the nipple on the carb and each deteriorated within a few months. I'm sure that you can find plugs that are fuel safe somewhere but you're not getting eighty of them for seven bucks.

After tossing the second of the ones that I bought I decided to try another approach - the one I suggested.

I still had the OEM petcock with the OEM hose still on it so I stuck it back on the carb and plugged the end with a brass machine screw that I had in my junk harware can. That hose was put on my bike by Suzuki in 2006 and it's still in perfect condition so it is apparently pretty resistant to petroleum fumes. If I remember correctly I put the Raptor petc*ck on in 2013 so that hose with the brass screw in the end has been fine for eleven years.

As for looking "unprofessional" the bike looks exactly like it did originaly except that the end of the hose with the plug in it now dissapears up under the tank instead of being attatched to the petcock.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 08/03/24 at 07:58:25

Sorry oldnslow.  I retract my unprofessional appearance comment since you hid it up under the tank.  I should have been clearer or caveated my statement.  It’s the ones that have 1-2” of hose coming off the nipple with a screw or golf tee stuck in it that hurt my eyes and scream unprofessional.  Don’t think that I haven’t done it under the hood of a car somewhere!  Shocked Wink

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 08/03/24 at 08:27:08

No need for apology.

"ones that have 1-2” of hose coming off the nipple with a screw or golf tee stuck in it that hurt my eyes and scream unprofessional"

I agree 100% with that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 09:25:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Vacuum hose plug when replacing petcock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.