Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Pod filter and breather hose (Read 157 times)
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pod filter and breather hose
07/27/24 at 17:41:56

I've done a lot of searching but haven't found anything on what people have done with the breather hose coming off the head that went to the stock airborne after they went to a pod or cone filter. The old stock airbox had a lot of oil in it and the hose coming out of the bottom of it didn't have a drain hole for the oil. My old filter was drenched. Which probably was part of the problem of why the bike acted like fit was bogging down at wot. Anyway. I went with a pod filter. I live in Washington state near the Idaho border so it's pretty moderate here. Pictures would be helpful if you have them. Thank you for your time

03 savage bobbed by previous owner. (Hack job) custom handle bars, springer seat, wrapped header, pod filter. Work in progress
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Pod filter and breather hose
Reply #1 - 07/28/24 at 03:34:06

A very common solution for some folks is to run the breather hose into a small filter, and leave it dangling somewhere.

I built a small metal box with in inlet and outlet tube, and a drain tube that used the plastic cap from the stock airbox.  I mounted it on the flat shelf on the muffler mount in front of the rear tire.  The box is filled inside with stainless steel scrubby material.  The hose from the top of the engine goes down to the metal box, then the hose from the box goes up to the rubber boot on the carb inlet (I have a large UNI foam filter).  The inlet adapter is made from a double sided push tubing connector with one side cut off, and it is pushed into the rubber inlet.  I will get a photo of it later.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 07/28/24 at 04:57:54

The stock air box should have a hole with a drain tube attached (about 10” long).  It’s on the left side of the bike below the air box, behind the front pulley, and in front of the rear tire.  That’s usually where it is just hanging down.  I have mine tucked behind the motor and shifted towards the left side rear of the motor (there a hose/wire crimp clamp on the frame back there I used to secure it).  Maybe some California or European models don’t have it for environmental reasons.  I don’t know why you don’t have a drain tube.  

The drain tube can get clogged where it connects to the air box.  Crap accumulates in the bottom of the air box or a mouse may have built his winter home in there.  I had a bike that sat up for a while, and a mouse or some critter moved in.  Remove the hose at the bottom of the air box and clean out the exit hole on the air box with something like a pipe cleaner, small screwdriver, compressed air, and spray it out with parts cleaner or engine degreaser (shield/cover stuff you don’t want to get the parts cleaner on).  It can be a messy job, so protect the floor if needed too.

When I installed a pod filter, I just kept the stock vent hose attached to the stock air box.  The air box is now a giant oil puke catch bucket.  I check and drain the air box (oil catch box now) with the supplied drain hose when I change the oil.  Since I’m already down there getting dirty and intimate with an oil pan and the under side of the motor.

If you removed the stock air box when you installed your pod filter, you’ll obviously need a different solution like Dave mentioned.

My 5” UNI pod filter butts right up to the stock air box.  The rear side of the pod filter virtually meets up perfectly to where the air snorkel going to the carb used to attach to the air box.  I removed the stock panel air filter in the stock air box and removed the side cover of the stock air box.  This lets the pod filter get some air flowing into it from the rear and not just the sides of the pod filter.  It’s not ideal, but it’s good.  And I didn’t have to fuss with cutting up and fabricating the stock air box or removing it completely and it still serves as my oil puke box from the vent hose coming out the head cover.

IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #3 - 07/28/24 at 05:09:55

Dave's scrubby pad is a second place to catch oil vapors. The engine has one just below that hose. If you can route the hose so it's uphill for a while then the oil vapors that turn to drips can drip back into the engine.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/28/24 at 05:29:19

JOG wrote on 07/28/24 at 05:09:55:
Dave's scrubby pad is a second place to catch oil vapors. The engine has one just below that hose. If you can route the hose so it's uphill for a while then the oil vapors that turn to drips can drip back into the engine.

I wish it was just vapors that convert back to oil.  These bikes flat out puke oil out the vent tube from pressure.  The harder you ride, the more it pukes.  Overfill the motor oil by more than 2-3oz, and it will really puke!

IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #5 - 07/28/24 at 06:39:15

I rode the snot out of mine,, at least, I Felt like I was. Not all the time, but enough to get my giggle on.. My riding skills are not road racer territory. I never had excessive oil losses out that tube. I did open the drain tube at oil changes. I never got 3,000 miles. I was running, EauxMuGawwd,, Ah,,Rotella Dino squeezings. Immediately after an oil change I could ride and ride hard ,get home, check the level, all good. As the miles added up, though, the same good fun hour would leave me adding a little. As miles continued to add up, that same fun ride would need more oil. I would change it just so I didn't hafta worry about running low. Around 2,000 miles was where I generally would do a.
IDK if synthetic would have been different. I'm guessing the Dino squeezings were getting their molecular chains sheared  in the transmission gears?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/28/24 at 08:00:02

Sustained rpm in the upper speed ranges tend to create more oil blow by for the Savage.  If you stay below 60mph and ride casually there us very little oil that comes out the airbox drain.

Sustained interstate riding at 70mph and above with stock gearing - you better start checking your oil level frequently.

IP Logged
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/28/24 at 16:35:42

Thanks guys. I've gotten alot done on the bike today. Got the rear light mounted the new seats mounted as well as the tank with new rubber since it didn't have any when I got it. I ordered the raptor peacock so that will be changed out soon.

03 savage bobbed by previous owner. (Hack job) custom handle bars, springer seat, wrapped header, pod filter. Work in progress
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/28/24 at 17:52:48

Dave wrote on 07/28/24 at 08:00:02:
Sustained rpm in the upper speed ranges tend to create more oil blow by for the Savage.  If you stay below 60mph and ride casually there us very little oil that comes out the airbox drain.

Sustained interstate riding at 70mph and above with stock gearing - you better start checking your oil level frequently.

------------------

My bike used a little oil when my commute included 25 minutes of freeway riding.  My new commute is all "city" riding and it hasn't used a drop of oil between oil changes.  

IP Logged
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/29/24 at 18:54:41

Dave, can you send me pics of what you did? My squirrel brain takes a few hours to figure out what people describe sometimes.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 07/30/24 at 01:36:48

Bohica, this old post provides all the details you need to make a breather system.  You have your filter clamped right onto the carburetor; do I have that correct?

If your filter clamps directly onto the carb, then there isn't any way to vent the breather back into the intake tract (like Dave's).  In that situation, a catch can/breather with a small filter on top is a viable option.  That's what this old post shows.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1570415428

Paul, the setup you describe vents your breather directly to atmosphere.  Air goes both ways in these breather systems, out when the piston goes down, in when the piston goes up.  What you describe will result in dirt being pulled into your engine.  You need a breather filter on the end of the hose.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 07/30/24 at 01:46:29

In the event that you have installed the pod filter on the end of the rubber air boot, then you can set up your breather system like Dave's.  That will route the vapors back into your intake tract.  This old post provides sufficient details to construct a breather system that is more Earth Friendly.  Both systems are very easy to construct, and they are inexpensive too.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1655271553/0

Hopefully Dave can provide some pictures of his setup.  It sounds to me like his catch can is underneath the motorcycle.  That might be more appealing to you since it hides the catch can.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #12 - 07/30/24 at 05:19:08

DBM - I have the stock set up with the breather tube from the head connected to the stock air box.  Yes, it goes to atmosphere, but the puke lives in the bottom of the air box until you open the clean out “puke tube”.

Yes, the oil vapors could make their way into the stock air panel filter (if you’re still using it) and ultimately make it into the carb and combustion chamber.  This is a very common setup for all sorts of cars and bikes.  Is it ideal, no.  Does it get the stock air panel filter a little yucky, yes.  Is it a huge deal, no.

With my pod filter outside the air box, there is zero chance of liquid oil getting on the filter.  The small amount of oily smelling air that the pod filter sniffs is negligible.

And I live in Texas, not LA-LA land.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 07/30/24 at 09:15:49

This is the carb and filter photo.  There is a piece of the rubber boot from the stock bike attached to the carb inlet.  The boot was cut off in the back and a PVC pipe is inserted inside - the UNI filter attaches to the PVC.  A 1/8" pipe nipple was threaded into a hole cut in the side of the rubber/PVC tube and epoxied into place...I did drill out the ID of the fitting to make it a thin wall and make the inner diameter larger than 1/8".

This is what it looks like with the breather hose taken off.

IMG_3730.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 07/30/24 at 09:16:21

This is what it looks like with the hose attached.

IMG_3731.JPG

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 14:48:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pod filter and breather hose

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.