Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Starter Clutch Idle Gear (Read 96 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Starter Clutch Idle Gear
Reply #15 - 07/29/24 at 04:56:49

Republishing Verslagen’s and Och’s pics here for easy of reference for the future.

Verslagen used a vise and 3 sockets to mash it all together and install the circlip.  This looks precision and safe and captures the shaft and thus captures the 2-piece keeper next to (almost under) the starter gear on the shaft.

Och manhandled it with a pair of vise grips!  This somewhat crude approach is right up my hacker novice alley!  The problem I see with this (and maybe Och can chime in), is that it doesn’t capture the shaft.  The shaft is free to slide back and forth through the cluster-F stack of parts.  The 2-piece keeper is just begging to fall out of its groove and go to never-never land on the garage floor or elsewhere.  Och must have used one hand to hold the shaft in place while he used his other hand to get the circlip installed.  Being somewhat challenged with stuff like this, I would need 3 hands.

I’m gunna try Verslagen’s vise/sockets method, but Och wins my heart and gets honorable mention for the vise grip method!

IMG_5205.png
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #16 - 07/29/24 at 04:58:38

I really like Och’s vise grip method!  I think we could be good friends!

Note: In the photo, the 3 gears don’t have their teeth lined up in the stack.  You should be able to line them up once assembled, but I think Och had a little trouble with it.  Thinking ahead, that this will happen to me, a good coat of oil on everything as you stack it back together seems in order.  And line them up as close as possible before you smash the stack together.
« Last Edit: 07/30/24 at 05:04:02 by ThumperPaul »  

IMG_5206.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #17 - 07/31/24 at 05:02:10

Dave noted that the outside circlip retainer is 14mm.

A 9/16th is a little too big.  A 1/2” is a little too small.  It was worth a try getting one from my favorite local Ace Hardware.  But no cigar.

I found some online that are sold as 14mm with the actual bore size ID being 13.4mm.  It should fit like a dream.

Mashing the 3 spring washers that are as tough as nails is quite the challenge.  My vise is an el cheapo.  And Och must have really strong hands to get enough clamping force on the vise grips.

I’m going to try really hard to get all 3 spring washers in there.  BUT, what would be the impact or result of only installing 2 spring washers?  Obviously, the setup would be less tight, thus giving the little fiber discs and steel plates (washers) more freedom to move.  But, would this really impact or drastically change the performance of the anti-backlash gear?  I think of a slipping clutch, but this thing is so tightly fitted with 3 spring washers, it almost seems too tight with 3 and toning it down to just 2 spring washers could actually be an improvement.  I’m obviously not an engineer…

Suzuki designed this upgraded contraption (anti-backlash gear) to replace what was a simple gear.  It seems 2 spring washers instead of 3 spring washers just eases up on the design a little.  Again, I’m no engineer.

« Last Edit: 08/04/24 at 10:35:40 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #18 - 08/04/24 at 10:33:23

Welp…the 13.4mm bore size is a tad too small.  Apparently it’s a true 14mm.

Darn little retainer clips are confusing the way they are sold and described - external vs internal, blah, blah, blah…. Some mention bore size, some don’t…. Maybe it’s “steel” or stainless steel or something else.  Just tell me how strong it is and not rust or corrode.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 16:50:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starter Clutch Idle Gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.