Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Cylinder Head Assessment Help (Read 182 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Cylinder Head Assessment Help
Reply #15 - 07/20/24 at 07:07:53

A more thorough inspection and some measuring is needed, but the cam looks pretty good.  Clean sharp edges and no scaring on the lobes.

IMG_4974-compressed.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #16 - 07/20/24 at 07:55:22

The other ones were tough, but this guy is an A-Hole!  Can’t get a socket or box end on it.  And now I’ve rounded it off with an open-end wrench.  Vise grips are slipping too!  Argh!

IMG_4980-compressed.jpeg
  IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #17 - 07/20/24 at 07:56:21

The cavity below the lumps on the cam should have oil in it.
Your diagram for bolts? It would be great if others could print that.
That is Noice!
Don't forget to drop the middle bolt in before it gets set in place.
IIRC there is a corner bolt that goes in the jug and up through the head,,right?
As dry as that is I'm surprised stuff doesn't look galled and scorched.

I'm wondering if you shouldn't give the oil pump a test.
YaKnow, the drive gear for it goes in wackberds and Looks like it's just Fiiine.. ButitAin't..
Have you been in the clutch recently?

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #18 - 07/20/24 at 08:03:37

So while stewing on how to remove the A-Hole nut, I decided to remove the rear cam chain adjuster/guide.  I’ve decided that the bigger your banana, the more you need a Versy CCT.  I could have waited until I pulled the head to remove the guide (easier), but I felt like fighting the guide out.  I’ve also decided that the bigger your banana bend, the harder it is to get the sucker out!

Aside from being a bit banana-shaped, the thing looks brand new.

IMG_4978-compressed.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #19 - 07/20/24 at 08:22:25

JOG wrote on 07/20/24 at 07:56:21:
The cavity below the lumps on the cam should have oil in it.
Your diagram for bolts? It would be great if others could print that.
That is Noice!
Don't forget to drop the middle bolt in before it gets set in place.
IIRC there is a corner bolt that goes in the jug and up through the head,,right?
As dry as that is I'm surprised stuff doesn't look galled and scorched.

I'm wondering if you shouldn't give the oil pump a test.
YaKnow, the drive gear for it goes in wackberds and Looks like it's just Fiiine.. ButitAin't..
Have you been in the clutch recently?

Yes, at least there was some oil in the cavity below the cam lobes.  As dry as everything else was, this was a relief.

I found that bolt diagram here on the forum somewhere.  Then took it to the copy place and enlarged it onto like 14x17” paper.  Then taped it to a piece of cardboard box.

If I was working with the motor in the frame, then yes “B70” needs to be in place on the head cover before you slide the head cover under the frame and onto the head.

I don’t know what IIRC is, but “B65 bolt” does need to get trapped in its spot before you put the head cover on.  I’ve got it positioned upside down in my diagram (the other side should have a pretty cap nut, but this one just has a regular nut).

Clutch pack will get inspected next.  I want to get this head off right now.  darn A-Hole nut!

IP Logged
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

In the fog of San Francisco
Reply #20 - 07/20/24 at 22:25:13

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 07/21/24 at 03:31:32

That stubborn nut should only be attempted with a box end wrench - as you can tell an open end wrench will just round things off.

I would be tempted to try a couple of things - not sure which would work better:

You could try using a chisel on the side of the nut that will move it in the direction it needs to go to be loosened.  This is a bit brutal - but it has worked for me in the past.

Another option is to screw a nut on the few threads that are remaining - then weld the new nut to the existing nut.  One potential problem in doing this is if you have enough room to get a box end wrench on the new nut when you do this.  Also.....if the stud comes out of the head rather than the nut coming loose - now you have a stud and welded double nut stuck in the head.  The potential good news is that if you are able to put the wrench on the nut while it is still hot - it likely will come loose easier.

Are you starting to realize that working on old motorcycles is not all that relaxing? Huh

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #22 - 07/21/24 at 04:47:47

Thanks Michael and Dave.

IIRC - I never remember correctly according to my wife!

Dave - You nailed it with the relaxing hobby comment!  All 4 of the Savages/S40s I’ve bought and owned were with the intent of keeping for myself once I got them running well and given some TLC.  It is rewarding and kinda fun bringing them back to life and made truly road worthy again.  But as you know, I keep running hot/cold on how much I really like the Savage and end up selling.

This bike, Bumblebee (#5), was bought with the intent of getting some usable parts, like a head to practice porting, and then part-out the rest to cover my initial cost and maybe finance a few extra goodies.  Now I’m questioning my want to play with and practice porting the head.  Wanna buy it and save me some torture?  Save you some torture too when I have to post about it and ask 47 questions.  Lol.

Mad at myself for rounding off that nut.  I knew the open end was a bad idea but it worked fine on the nut up front.  The 12 point box end that I could fit in there wasn’t any better.  I’m getting a new set of small 6-point 15° offset combo wrenches today. I needed some metric 6-point combo wrenches anyway.  Perhaps just using the right tool will work.  Add some heat and try that if I have to.  It’s not a good spot to try to get penetrating oil or PB Blaster in there, but I’m trying that too.

I like the welded double-nut idea, but I don’t weld or have the equipment.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #23 - 07/22/24 at 15:40:02

I finally got the pesky nut off.

It has 4 valves and carbon to look at.

IMG_5053-compressed.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #24 - 07/22/24 at 15:41:50

Another view.  Spark plug hole looks good!  Lol.

I need better lighting in the garage.

IMG_5054-compressed.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #25 - 07/22/24 at 15:43:55

A cursory look at the piston.  Most of that carbon vacuumed right off.  More pics when I remove the jug in the next couple of days.

IMG_5055-compressed.jpeg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 07/22/24 at 19:32:31

That looks like a lot of carbon on the top of the cylinder.....maybe it is just looking like that from sitting a while.

The weird part about carbon......is this:

If you take your bike apart soon after you last had it running.  The exhaust valves and the inside of the header are light tan or nearly white.  If you take an engine apart after it has sat idle for a while - the carbon on the exhaust valves and header has turned completely black.  And as you have noticed - some of the carbon has become soft or flaky and loose.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 07/22/24 at 20:11:17

Does that bike have a 155 main jet by chance???

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #28 - 07/23/24 at 04:00:58

Interesting observation, Dave!  Thanks. Along those lines, the carbon on the exhaust valves is less thick and more of a tannish brown color while the other areas are black.

OhioMoto - I bought this bike for parts.  The carb was gone when I got it, so I have no idea about jetting.  It did have a SuperTrapp muffler on it, so a prior owner probably did tinker with the carb.  And the air box was cut open around the snorkel area (rather crudely butchered) presumably to accommodate a larger air filter setup.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 07/23/24 at 04:14:00

ThumperPaul wrote on 07/23/24 at 04:00:58:
 And the air box was cut open around the snorkel area (rather crudely butchered) presumably to accommodate a larger air filter setup.

I am pretty sure I have a good stock air filter box...only 1,200 miles on it!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/17/24 at 23:16:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cylinder Head Assessment Help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.