Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
97mm Wiseco Piston Detonation (Read 210 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: 97mm Wiseco Piston Detonation
Reply #30 - 07/14/24 at 05:14:58

Maybe Zevenenergie is on to something here about fuel atomization and timing.  Rather than another carb shootout, how about trying fuel injection with an ECU!  Just kidding…

Zevenenergie’s mention of 2-strokes does make me think about the PWK carb.  Weren’t the PWK carbs initially designed for 2-stroke engines and subsequently adapted and experimented with in 4-stroke engines?  Just thinking out loud.

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #31 - 07/14/24 at 05:57:21

This is the biggest difference between a 2-stroke and a 4-stroke carburetor. A 2-stroke has a shield at the gas needle. This is because a 2-stroke has the intake gases flowing back and forth in the carburetor. The shield ensures that the mixture does not become too rich, and the air only gets fuel when it flows towards the engine.

You also need to replace the atomizer.

If you convert your carburetor to 4 stroke.

The change from 2 to 4 stroke in the dirtbike world has of course produced very good 4 stroke carburetors, I would look for a carburetor there.
You will always have to search for the right atomizer,
but that is a relatively simple search for power.

Converting to an injection system is something I have never looked into.
But sensors capture many variables where the carburetor cannot.
Also adjusting with a laptop is of course much easier.

Think about what you can do with your laptop if you have a programmable ignition and an injection system. Smiley

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #32 - 07/14/24 at 10:04:47

DragBikeMike wrote on 07/13/24 at 23:03:32:
Dave, regarding the dual plugs.  That setup on the DR is strange; both plugs on the same side of the combustion chamber.
Thanks for the pics of the DR head.  Do you have that in your possession?

Back in the day of dual plug heads on the Porsche cars - they only had 2 valve heads so the spark plugs were on each side of the head with the valves in between.  On a 4 valve head there is 1 spark plug in the center and 1 spark plug on the side.  The side plug is over on the accessible side.........the side opposite the cam chain.

I deleted those photos in this thread as I didn't feel it was adding anything - nobody is likely going to go the dual plug route.  Those photos were taken from eBay listings.  What I did find interesting is that the hump in the combustion chamber between the Savage valves is no there in the Dr650 head.

DR6502.PNG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #33 - 07/14/24 at 13:58:25

Interesting comment you made Dave about the DR head not having the little bump in the center of the chamber, while the LS does.  It’s been a long time since I had a DR head in my hands, but I have no memory of noticing the difference.  But, the memory is not what it use to be either.

IP Logged
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

In the fog of San Francisco
Reply #34 - 07/14/24 at 14:34:28

The Aprilia RSV1000 (Rotax) Vtwin heads have both twin plugs and the chamber filled with extra quench material.

ApriliaRSV1000.png
WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #35 - 07/15/24 at 01:10:15

Oh boy Michael I can dig those heads.  Look at the size of those valves.  I bet they are at least 38mm.  And look at the angle of that intake.  That sucker is steep.  About as straight a shot as you can get.  What is the HP and redline on that badboy.

Dave, I pondered eliminating that bridge between the valves when I was trying to find more combustion chamber volume.  I was reluctant.  When you start staring at the thing, it just sort of yells at you "Don't do it".  Don't know why, can't justify my reluctance, no sound technical basis for the aversion, but it's one of those things that sort of looks like you will regret.  It just looks like it needs to be there.  It does add additional quench surface.

Zevenenergie, I am confused a bit.  Please help me understand what you are trying to share.  I want to be sure I understand exactly what you suggest.

First, I believe you are telling me that I should tighten up my quench.  Yes, or no?

Second, it sounds to me like you suggest I either leave the CR where it was, or even increase the CR.  Yes or no?

Third, I think you are suggesting that my problem lies solely in the carburetion.  Yes, or no?

If I understand correctly, you think that the sand blasting has nothing to do with detonation.  Yes, or no?

I can see how the sand blasted appearance could be the result of some sort of liquid blasting.  All sorts of stuff is going on in that crevice, and my cheap knock-off carb certainly could stand some improvement.  It wouldn't surprise me if the fuel droplets are waaaay too big for satisfactory performance in a four-stroke engine.  But any sort of blasting will require a motive force, like an explosion of some sort.  What is that motive force?  What propels the blast media?

How does this trapped fuel deform my ring land?  Why is my ring land deformed?  Why did the ring land pinch the second ring?  Wouldn't that also require tremendous force, like an explosion, like detonation?  Are you suggesting hydraulic lock?

I agree that the carburetion is less than ideal, and I agree that the carburetion could be contributing to this problem, but I am reluctant to say that detonation is not in play.  All that blasting and deformation requires a motive force.  I don't think fuel condensing and flashing off provides enough energy to deform the ring land, and corrosion certainly won't deform the ring land.  The deformation of the ring land requires BIG TIME FORCE.  Extreme pressure all at once; a hammer. Detonation.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #36 - 07/15/24 at 01:18:47

Fast650 reminded me that my first tight quench engine had a piston failure and that too was predominantly on the intake side of the piston.  I had not included that particular failure because it was not a Wiseco piston, but the deeper we get into this problem it seems pertinent.

I had attributed that failure to insufficient ring gap.  I arrived at that conclusion because the top of the piston was ripped upward.  I didn't think it was a detonation issue because I thought detonation would deform the piston downward, not upward.

This piston was a stock piston used in a cylinder that was shortened 3mm.  It was set up with .070" quench clearance.  The quench was very loose in an effort to try and keep the CR somewhere close to like 11.5:1.  This thing had way too much CR.

Note that there is no sandblasting on the OD of the piston, but there is a lot of missing piston.

Stock_Piston_Broken_Top.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #37 - 07/15/24 at 01:20:01

Here is another view so that you can clearly see there is no sandblasting on the OD.

Stock_Piston_Failure.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #38 - 07/15/24 at 01:26:40

This is a good view of the lifted piston top.  It is evident that the ring pulled the top of the piston upward.  I had those gaps waaaay too tight, and I ran the guts out of the thing with the mixture on the lean side.  I shoulda known better.  But could detonation also have been in play?  The CR was way up there, at least 11,5:1.  Cranking pressure was about 245 psi.  Pump gas was in the tank, and my A/F ratio meter was tellin me no.  It was like 13 at WOT.  I was on a mission and sustained WOT was in order.  

The results.

Stock_Piston_Lifted_Ring.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #39 - 07/15/24 at 01:31:10

I pulled that old piston out of the junk box today.  I wanted to see if the ring land was deformed.  It is.  Just like the Wiseco the ring land is deformed .002" on the intake side.  That would require downward force, not upward force.  I don't think the tight ring gap lends itself to the deformed ring land, especially not on the intake side where things should be much cooler.

If you look at the skirt you can see it was seizing on the intake side too.

Stock_Piston_Int_Side.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #40 - 07/15/24 at 01:34:27

And the exhaust side was also seizing.  Stands to reason, that piston was gettin bigger so both sides were being pinched.  If you look at the OD above the top ring there is no sand blasting.  There is no sand blasting anywhere on the piston.

Stock_Piston_Exh_Side.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #41 - 07/15/24 at 01:39:28

And what about all the missing aluminum?  This huge chunk of aluminum was just plain gone.  It was flame sprayed all over the place.  It was on the exhaust valves, and the intake valves, and the combustion chambers.  That sucker had to have been extremely hot.  It's a lot of aluminum.  You would think that I would have found a chunk or two, but it was all sprayed onto the surrounding parts, sorta like paint.  That thing had to have been really hot.

Stock_Piston_Broken_Top_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #42 - 07/15/24 at 01:49:50

The underside of the piston?  Clean.  No coking, discoloration, nothin.  So I'm gonna take the position that this mess that I originally thought was solely the result of insufficient ring gap was more a colaboration between tight rings, too much squeeze, inadequate octane, and too little fuel.

The point here is that you can get one of these things so hot that it melts away, but the underside of the piston can remain pristine.  I don't think the underside of the piston is a good indicator to use to differentiate between detonation issues and liquid blasting issues.  The underside of the piston might be useful to evaluate how things are running during sustained operation, but for catastrophic failures it can only give you a small piece of the picture.  There's no doubt that this piston got really hot, but it was a brief excursion and didn't result in coking.

Stock_Piston_Underside.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #43 - 07/15/24 at 02:01:57

I appreciate your comments and suggestions regarding the carburetor.  I have been wanting to improve on the carburetion for a long time now.  I am running a Chinese knock-off PWK.  There is no emulsion tube, it's just a needle jet with an air correction port.  I have a new PWK knockoff that I have been wanting to try.  It's an upgrade.  It incorporates a bona fide emulsion tube.  That should dramatically improve atomization.  I was mainly interested in flattening out the fuel curve, but the improved atomization seems like a bonus.

Why do you feel that 2-stroke engines require the hood over the needle jet to mitigate overly rich mixtures resulting from reversion?  Shouldn't the reed valves prevent any reverse flow back through the carburetor?  BTW, don't think for a second that 4-strokes don't have the same problem.  Most Savage cams close the intake valve just after BDC, so they don't have much intake reversion.  But if you run a super-hot cam with lots of overlap and a late closing intake, you can form a little rain cloud of fuel over the mouth of the carburetor.  That charge can run back & forth through the carb several times before the intake finally closes.  It's especially problematic with drag pipes.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #44 - 07/15/24 at 04:11:02

That's a lot of questions Mike I have to think about it especially about that piston damage

About the squid gap
I was talking about as small as possible.
So with a Savage I would do deflection tests, especially if I were to mount a heavier piston. I also wonder what the bearing clearance is.
I would like to come out around 1 mm if possible.
With two strokes you can only handle higher compressions without detonation if the squid gap has approximately that value. 0.5 mm to 0.7 mm is often used in smaller engines.

Two strokes with reevalves still have the hood in between because at higher revs a reed valve starts to behave like a piston-driven intake. There is even a point where the intake only sucks you can leave the reed valve out completely at a certain revs.
It is all much more complicated with a two stroke.

The dynamics of evaporating and condensing mixture in a 4-stroke is complex. In a two-stroke it hardly plays a role.

I don't have enough insight into it to adequately answer your question What is that motive force? What propels the blast media?

I will certainly delve into it because this whole topic has made me think about what I do and don't know.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/07/24 at 17:24:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 97mm Wiseco Piston Detonation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.