Cam Chain Noise (Read 63 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Cam Chain Noise
07/07/24 at 05:51:07

I think I’m hearing cam chain noise.  While I don’t think I’ve met a Savage that has a quiet motor, I’m hearing this pretty distinctly.   Bike is a 2006 with about 6800 miles.  I wouldn’t expect much noise at this mileage, but….here I am.

The sound is most noticeable at cruising speed.  The sound is maybe getting drowned out under acceleration (or perhaps the chain is happiest accelerating).  Noise is nonexistent under deceleration.  Bike is running well otherwise.

Verslagen can probably speak to this the best given his experience with the CCT, and dealing with people like me that have bought his upgraded Versy CCT.  Verslagen - you kept a spreadsheet at one point.  Do you recall the lowest mileage a cam chain was stretched to the point of needing to use the 2nd hole on your modified CCT?

I need to pull the engine cover and take a look.  But, could the ‘pawn’ in the cam chain adjuster be stuck and not allowing the plunger to extend and do its job?

While mileage is only about 6500, I suppose it might have been a lot of stop and go driving that took its toll.  I’ve only had the bike about 2 months.

I guess I just need to open it up and take a look-see.

« Last Edit: 07/07/24 at 07:08:20 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Cam Chain Noise
Reply #1 - 07/07/24 at 07:59:00

Adjuster Life hasn't been a hot topic in some time so I haven't been collecting data in some time.

But I have about 30 data points and 2 were at about 8000 miles when they hit 20mm's extended. 18mm is the recommended rework limit.

I've never seen a stuck pawl.

Your best choice is to open her up and take a look.

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 07/07/24 at 09:39:30

Thanks Verslagen.  My vocabulary and spell check needs work too (pawn vs pawl).  Texans pronounce my name Pawwwll.

Yup, I gotta open ‘er up.  Dang, 20mm at 8k miles - poor bikes!

I can’t remember exactly, but the bike I installed one of your CCTs was at 17mm at something like 13,000 miles.  I remember just barely being able to use the 2nd hole on the Versy CCT.

« Last Edit: 07/07/24 at 15:25:44 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #3 - 07/07/24 at 14:03:54

I'll be really surprised if it's the CCT at that mileage. But if it's not that, then what Izzitt?
I think you should go open it up RatNoow and post pictures. You know you want to.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 08/29/24 at 15:17:46

JOG wrote on 07/07/24 at 14:03:54:
I'll be really surprised if it's the CCT at that mileage. But if it's not that, then what Izzitt?
I think you should go open it up RatNoow and post pictures. You know you want to.

You know me!  I do want to open 'er up!  Waiting for a CCT from Verslagen. I want to have it handy!

IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #5 - 08/29/24 at 16:39:27

You do have a piece of cardboard ready,with an outline of the cover and a slot for each bolt, right?

You do it your way, but I don't trust those wimpy bolts with a torque wrench shooting for factory specs. I just went by feel. Quarter inch ratchet, thumb on the head, fingertips on the the ratchet, making several passes. Just because I'm Going Around a fourth time doesn't mean Every bolt Must turn. If I decide to stop trying to get them tighter and ride it and discover something is weeping, I'll give it an eighth of a turn, The time invested in Not making a mess is less than the time to fix a mess.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 08/29/24 at 17:02:49

Yup, I have a template for both sides.  Clutch side is actually easier to remember where they go.  But I still use a template.  Good way to keep the bolts organized anyway.

I need to trust what I know is right.  But I'll still end up getting the torque wrench out.

IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #7 - 08/29/24 at 21:07:21

Well, if it Feels like the gasket is finished crushing,and it feels tight, you might want to run it. Leaks are easier than busted stuff to fix. I go slow and make more than three passes. Squeeze,move,let the gasket adjust, squeeze,go around.. That is soft metal.
I'm wishing the best for ya.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 08/30/24 at 05:19:27

Thanks JOG!  I may start this weekend ahead of parts arriving soon (hopefully).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 15:44:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Chain Noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.