Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike Starts and Runs Fine. But WONT move... (Read 56 times)
HotinTopeka888
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike Starts and Runs Fine. But WONT move...
06/30/24 at 13:53:26

Hi guys! Im new,  but Ive been surfing threads looking for answers, and I can tell that this is a great community. Ya should be proud.
But I can't be a good part if I can't even ride my bike!

I have this exact same issue: https://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1228436105

I can see it's a rare one and I'm hoping it's not a big one. I posted a thread here expressing my concerns not too long ago, but work and life got in the way.

This time I'm getting to work on my bike and I'll try to keep everyone updated. If Im lucky and can find a fix, then maybe this will be the place online with the solution for people like me
OK here goes:

The Bike
2005 Black Suzuki Savage / LS650 / Boulevard S40

Mileage
1,350 mi

The Problem
The Bike starts and runs no problem. It revs with each pull of thd throttle. But it cannot move/accelerate at any gear. It acts as though it were neutral on any gear.

Details About the Problem
- The bike shifts from gear to gear fine.

-  It does not seem like there is any more or less freeplay on the clutch cable. The cable is fully connected

- The problem came on suddenly, not gradually.

- The problem did not come with the obvious terrible smell of a burnt clutch, or at least the smell did not last long enough for me to notice.

- No abundance of smoke noticed when problem occured. No black smoke.

- What immediately preceded the problem was a snap (like a small backfire)

- I hear NO unusual noises up to this day.
No clunking, no rattling, no pops/no snaps
- I smell NO unusual smells up to this day
- The bike does NOT seem to  operate differently.
No tight or loose clutch, throttle, brakes

Details about Bike
- I bought the bike in April 2024 for $1.5k
At the time it had only 900 miles. I was a little concerned about lack of use.

- I did the basic surface inspection and all seemed A-OK. No funny smells, noises, all was intact

- Had a new working Diehard Gold battery that is currently being charged/naintained. Was missing the chrome cover to the battery box though...

- Was able to ride it on a 150 mile trip back home! (Avoided highways)

-Purchased to make a daily 60 mi round-trip commute.
Worked for a week or so. I racked up about 500 miles... then the problem happened on the road

- I'm admittedly an inexperienced rider. Probably made excessive use of the clutch for comfort in the friction zone within the town i live in, but I honestly don't think I was going too crazy...
Stupidly thought I could coast down hills with clutch pulled all the way down. Got tired of the constant thumping on long rides I guess.

Questions
-  Biggest noticeable problem when I bought it was that the tail light was hanging by a wire  I rode back home in bad rain, did I damage the electical or any other parts??

It seems that the most likely culprits are clutch OR transmission, with the drive shaft in particular.
Is it likely for the drive shaft to be stripped in just 1350 miles of use?

Shouldn't a transmission issue of this effect come with tell-tale signs like unusual metal noises, smoke, smells?

Shouldn't a clutch issue change the way a bike feels, operates, switches gears?

When I look at the clutch today what should I look for to see if it's bad or good?

Updates 1
I've gotten to work on my bike since yesterday. I plan on doing full maintenance and basic checkup as I make my way to the clutch.
1. Removed Battery. Is currently being charged/maintained

2. Took off seat. Checked fuses. Both 20A  and 25A are fine

3. Drained gas/removed gas tank. I'm considering replacing the petcock/vacuum hose with a Yamaha Raptor 660 petcock and cap.

Today I plan on
1) replacing the spark plug,
2) removing the exhaust system so I can get to the clutch case, and
3) draining the oil.

I plan to update thread and show a picture whenever I get to see what my clutch looks like.

Long post. Sincerest thanks to anyone who chooses to get through it all and help.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Bike Starts and Runs Fine. But WONT move...
Reply #1 - 06/30/24 at 16:29:38

Summary: Starts, runs, goes into gear - but no go....

Are you sure it's going into gear?  And you're sure you can move it through all 5 gears?

Does it stall out when you put it in gear and release the clutch?

I'd guess the clutch is failing to disengage.  Or the clutch plates are seized.

When it quit on you while riding, what were you doing when it decides to stop moving?  Sitting at a red light?  Hauling a$$?  Testing the clutch friction zone on an uphill incline?  Power shifing from 1st to 2nd?  Just cruising along like a grandpa minding your own business?

Can you be more specific about the "constant thumping" you hear when coasting downhill without pulling the clutch?  There shouldn't be any thumping when coasting/engine braking down a hill without the clutch pulled.  Just a smooth nice sounding "growl" of the engine slowing.

Have you drained the oil to see what it looks like?  Correct amount?

Reading the post you shared from 2008, it ended without a happy ending or resolution.  (I hate when stories end that way.)  Just Verslagen suggesting to look at the front drive pulley.  Since you were hearing a thumping while coasting downhill without the clutch pulled, that might have been the front pulley throwing a hissy fit.  It's possible the nut was never tighten properly in the first place, or somebody fiddled with it over the last 19 years.  Only 3 bolts holding the pulley cover in place (don't lose the spacers or rubber grommets, they like to roll off to never-never land in the abyss of the garage).  Pop it off and check the pulley.  Verslanger was betting dollars to donuts on this one!!  That's a good bet even if a donut costs more than a dollar these days.

Riding the clutch in the friction zone can burn up the clutch pretty quick.  I doubt its the transmission (pretty bullet-proof until it meets a really souped up motor).  You don't hear about too many transmission issues on these bikes especially at low miles.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/30/24 at 18:25:02

I'd bet money on you having a broken cam lobe on the clutch actuating arm, you should be able to tell when you open it up.

If this is your first time removing the clutch cover get a cardboard box, drill 11-13 ( can't remember how many bolts) into it and put all the bots from the cover in sequence so you can remember which ones go where when you put it back together.

Get a replacement gasket just in case.

When you put the cover back on make sure the release arm is clearing the case. It needs to be pointing slightly upward or it can get jammed against the case.

Good luck

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/30/24 at 19:30:50

a broken cam would give zero clutch pull, doubt that is the problem as you said it was normal.

electrical or water damage shouldn't be a problem.

a seized clutch wouldn't allow you to put it into gear w/out lurching you forward and getting it into 2nd is a beotch.  (a friend told me)

drive pulley is a possibility but at 1300 miles I hope not, it would a factory issue as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't do any work on the bike until you've isolated the problem.
It's better to work on 1 problem at a time and working on it introduces new possibilities.

Quote:
Got tired of the constant thumping on long rides I guess.

Are you referring to the exhaust note?  or something else?

'I don't wanna work, just bang on the drum all day'

WWW   IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #4 - Yesterday at 01:01:13

I think the crankshaft is broken just at the bearing and the clutch is no longer driven.

I find it annoying for the topic starter, so I'm not going to be triumphant about the correct answer, but you can congratulate me via PM on my genius  Cool

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - Yesterday at 04:52:38

'I don't wanna work, just bang on the drum all day'

Ever since I was a tiny boy
I don't want no candy
I don't need no toy
I took a stick and an old coffee can
I bang on that thing 'til I got
Blisters on my hand because

Cool Grin

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #6 - Yesterday at 18:48:24

Wow, you are really grasping at anything you can think of.
If the crank was broke the engine would NOT run. To drive the cam gear and the cam the crank must be turning, along with the primary gear.
You are going to have to pull the clutch cover (right side case) to see what the issue is. Not the answer you wanted, but the reality.
Don`t mix up the bolts, there are different sizes, and the bolts to take the pipe guard off are thru bolts, no studs. You will have to hold it on the other side, not a problem if you have 5 foot arms with 2 elbows each, otherwise you can jam the wrench.
Good Luck!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/02/24 at 10:49:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike Starts and Runs Fine. But WONT move...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.