Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Drag Specialties Tach Installation (Read 81 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re:  Coil Wires and Horn Wires
Reply #15 - 07/03/24 at 00:23:33

Then use spade connectors and butt connectors to branch the wire to accommodate the desired accessories.  In your case, it should only be one spade connector (for the tach).  On my installation, I have three branches (tach, air fuel ratio meter, and voltmeter).

Distribution_to_Accessories.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 07/03/24 at 00:57:54

I have no idea why your tach needle rests at 500.  Mine parks at zero.  

I do recall several instances where it parked at random locations when the power was interrupted before the tach could complete its initial power-up routine.   That was associated with those aux contacts in the starter button.  Those contacts gave me a lot of grief before I figured out what was goin on.  Those wimpy contacts have to continuously carry 5.4 amps.  While that's not a whole lot of current, it takes a toll when the contacts are always opening and closing, and the switch assembly is exposed to weather. Once it starts to arc and get hot, the heat transfers to the main contacts and those start to screw up. Then it won't crank. 

Toot the horn and the current increases.  Its resistance is 1.9 ohms so if it was just a static load you can add another 6.3 amps.  Now your up close to 12 amps total.  But the horn is a dynamic load.  No tellin how it behaves.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #17 - 07/03/24 at 06:00:59

Thanks a million, Mike!  I really appreciate the step-by-step with photos!  I think I can handle this now!

The tach is now at ZERO.  You’re right.  The first photo at 500rpm was straight out of the box before powering it up the first time.  Not being very observant, I didn’t notice until 5 minutes ago when you mentioned it.  Duh!

IMG_4732-compressed.jpeg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 09:06:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drag Specialties Tach Installation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.