Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How does my spark plug look after 25k mile? (Read 73 times)
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

How does my spark plug look after 25k mile?
06/20/24 at 13:45:45

https://ibb.co/P94VhXQ

Finally got around to changing the stock spark plug at exactly 25k miles. How does it look? The very end of the thread seems almost white. I read that can be caused by running hot/rich…is that correct?

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: How does my spark plug look after 25k mile?
Reply #1 - 06/20/24 at 15:07:43

Typically rich means cooler, not hotter. Lean would indicate hotter -- that plug looks pretty dark to me, indicating a slightly rich mixture. Are you having any running issues? If not I wouldn't worry about it. Motors can run rich all day, they don't care. It's when they are lean it could be detrimental.

IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/20/24 at 15:59:43

No real issues with how the bike is running. It does have a Jardine exhaust, KN air filter and a jet set of some sort that was put on before I bought it.

I always assumed it was running rich cause the exhaust has an odor to it when running and back when we did emissions for motorcycles I could never get it to pass.

I’ll leave it alone, was just curious.

IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/20/24 at 16:03:32

Btw…are you suppose to use anti seize on NGK plugs? I’ve heard different things about that.

I used some as I figured it couldn’t hurt. I pretty much finger tightened it and then did roughly 1/4 turn and left it alone. Figure better to under tighten a tad than over tighten and strip something out.  The old plug was super easy to get out so there wasn’t much torque on there at all.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/20/24 at 16:29:55

Personally I never have. This bike is like a big expensive vibrator.... Definitely don't over tighten the plug but every so often check on it to make sure it's not crazy loose.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 06/20/24 at 17:26:34

Ah ha -  The plug was only loose fitting and you have black carbon all the way up the threads.   Carbon escaping up the loose fit threads (and you’re losing a little compression with a loose plug.

No anti-seize for me.  Seat the plug hand tight and then about 1/2 turn until tight (per the manual). Per NGK 10.8–14.5 lb-ft for an aluminum head.

Snug that puppy up another 1/4 turn when the engine is cool.

IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/20/24 at 21:36:35

Thanks for all the help! I already put the fuel tank back on! Should I take it off again for the extra 1/4 turn or should I be ok?

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 06/21/24 at 05:15:04

It’s probably fine.  Your finger tight might be stronger than the manual assumes.  If you got it tighter than the loose one you removed, you made an improvement with the new plug and torque.

Butt test it.  I bet you can notice a difference with the fresh plug.

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #8 - 06/21/24 at 08:29:59

Are the tightening instructions are different with a new spark plug than with a used one because the used one has a pressed sealing ring?

I would rather use torque as an indication.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 06/21/24 at 08:35:21

yes! and the instructions are literally on the mfg's box.

1/4 turn if new 1/8 turn if used

WWW   IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/21/24 at 09:35:56

Well I took it the tank off and gave it another 1/4 turn just to be sure. Def felt a bit loose so I’m glad I took the time to recheck it.

I think ThumperPaul is right…the box says 1/2 turn after finger tightening. I hate using torque wrenches for stuff like this because I feel like they can be widely inaccurate at such low torque…rather just do it by feel.

IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/21/24 at 09:44:30

https://ibb.co/09YcV99
https://ibb.co/VHtx9Wk

Old hose on left, auto parts vacuum hose on right.

I do have a question regarding the fuel line. The rubber was so dry that when I took the tank off I cut part of the line trying to get it off. I did the Raptor petcock about a decade ago so I can’t remember what I used for the fuel line…whether it was OEM that I cut down or aftermarket. I went to the auto parts store and the closest they had was vacuum line. It fits slightly looser and isn’t as thick, but seems pretty close.  I know there isn’t any pressure in the system like a fuel injection bike, but would the gas break down the rubber on a regular vacuum line over time?

Any other idea where I can get the proper fuel hose? Do I just buy the OEM one and cut it down…from the photos it looks much longer than what I need with the Raptor petcock.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #12 - 06/21/24 at 11:32:25

O’Reilly’s has fuel line hose they sell by the foot.  You need 5/16th” ID fuel line.  The O’Reilly’s here always has it in stock.  Get 5/16th” not 1/4”.

Age, normal dry rot, and exposure to gas.  Nothing lasts forever.  I had a one crumble in my hand on a poor neglected old bike I bought once upon a time.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 06/21/24 at 11:43:45

so I looked it up on the denso website...

M14 15-22 ft-lb 20-30 n-m or about 1/2 turn new 1/12 turn used.

WWW   IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/22/24 at 12:45:44

ThumperPaul wrote on 06/21/24 at 11:32:25:
O’Reilly’s has fuel line hose they sell by the foot.  You need 5/16th” ID fuel line.  The O’Reilly’s here always has it in stock.  Get 5/16th” not 1/4”.

Age, normal dry rot, and exposure to gas.  Nothing lasts forever.  I had a one crumble in my hand on a poor neglected old bike I bought once upon a time.

O’Reillys is where I went for the fuel line. I did see a 5/16th ID fuel hose, but it seemed very reinforced for fuel injection so it would have been too big for the stock clamps. Did you use aftermarket screw clamps?

The vacuum line they gave me seems like a better fit, just not sure how it will last over time. I guess I can always buy the OEM one and cut it down to size.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/30/24 at 10:45:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How does my spark plug look after 25k mile?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.