Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Supertrapp Muffler for Savage (Read 114 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Parts Bike or Big Project ?!
Reply #15 - 06/12/24 at 03:58:16

The next thing I tried was to take the first baffle and remove the interior plug to allow the gasses to flow straight through - then wrap it with stainless steel shavings that came from cutting down a brake disc OD.  I used stainless packing as this area gets really hot and glass wool would burn out instantly.

This didn't seem to work any better at cutting down the noise....and it actually got a bit louder.  It likely did cut down the heat on the muffler shell a bit - but the blue/black discoloration at that spot is permanent and can't be buffed out anymore.

StainlessPacking.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 06/12/24 at 04:09:20

I don't have a photo of the current (and final) iteration of the baffle system - but it works like this:

The first baffle was returned to being a perforated pipe with the plug in the center - I did drill the holes to make them larger.  The second baffle got the plug removed and is now wrapped with glass muffler packing.  When I tried this it was just a bit too loud - so I welded a perforated metal screen over the back of the muffler to help keep some of the sound in where the glass packing could work on it a bit more.

This setup is a little bit louder than I would like - but it is acceptable and works fine for the way I ride.  
« Last Edit: 06/12/24 at 08:22:35 by Dave »  

End.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #17 - 06/12/24 at 05:50:38

Great info and discussion guys!

I do like the Shell and inlet angle designed for the Savage.  Just not sure I’m up to the job of modifying it.

Mike - you must have really hated this thing since you omitted it from your muffler shootout.  Or too many iterations/scenarios needed to give an evaluation!

Texas motorcycle safety inspection:  beep beep, blink blink, can I still see George Washington’s wig on a quarter…. Here - have a sticker.  That’ll be $7.  Actually don’t get the sticker until you renew the registration after passing the safety inspection.

« Last Edit: 06/13/24 at 05:26:16 by Dave »  
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #18 - 06/12/24 at 10:02:25

My muffler was longer , when it got chopped I made a repackable core. Repack every other year.  Packing keeps exhaust note down , removes hollow sound of an empty metal can. Straight thru at a reduced diameter from header with 2 optional crumb cups that further breakup the note. Flows great , has a quiet growl with an annoying decel crackle , needs a repack. Great match with the VM38 , all throttle , big fun !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:19:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Supertrapp Muffler for Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.