Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sudco a go go (Read 34 times)
SpamyToo

Sudco a go go
05/17/24 at 08:44:04

Sorry if I had to refund any of you guys and cancel orders.

Sudco is closing its doors by the end of this month. No more orders coming through.

There currently is no importer for Keihin, so if you need something, they said at least a few months at the minimum before they find a new US distributor.

I was wondering if they were headed this way with their super antiquated ordering system and lack of security.  Too bad.

WWW   IP Logged
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

In the fog of San Francisco
Re: Sudco a go go
Reply #1 - 05/17/24 at 08:55:30

I used to buy as a dealer from Sudco, they've been around a long time.  I suspect the large amount of counterfeit Keihin and Mikuni carbs now for sale online, especially with the fake "Sudco" stickers on them, didn't help matters.  Having the OEMs reducing the number of bikes sold with carbs has probably also worked to reduce Sudco's business.

Another factor might be the age of the owners.  I'm seeing a number of businesses (like AirTech Streamlining) closing because the owners are retiring.  And with AirTech, which has a huge, make that HUGE, amount of molds for rare fairings/seats/fenders etc, if no one steps forward to buy the inventory to continue the business, then everything gets scrapped.

WWW   IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #2 - 05/17/24 at 09:04:34

Yeah for sure. They told me the owner decided it just wasnt worth it any longer to keep it going.

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 05/17/24 at 09:25:50

I have been a long term Sudco customer , feeds my addiction to Mikuni
carbs. Sudco stickers all over the tool box. What a shame ! Sudco manuals in the stack with all my other manuals/bibles.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/18/24 at 13:23:24

If I’m not mistaken, Sudco only sells to Dealers.  This model doesn’t seem to work in the 21st century with many DIYers avoiding dealership pricing.  And to Micheal’s point, they are getting their lunch eaten by Amazon and e.bay sellers of aftermarket parts and counterfeit (or knockoff) parts.

And OEM parts sellers like Partzilla and Revzilla and others have created a very competitive online marketplace that will sell directly to the public.  It’s like they failed to adapt like Sears and KMart.

IP Logged
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

In the fog of San Francisco
Reply #5 - 05/18/24 at 13:47:08

Paul, Sudco would do retail sales as well as wholesale.  But I think they've got real stock in a real warehouse which is a cost a lot of the mail-order discounters don't have to deal with.  There's been so much consolidation in brick and mortar shops over the last 20 years.  It must be really disheartening to have someone come in, try on different helmets/gloves and get advice on tires and things and then announce "thanks, now I know what to order from the mail-order place" as they walk out.  A lot of the small and mid-size shops weren't making a lot of money to begin with, and had to keep some product in stock instead of having everything drop-shipped from a distributor.

On the other hand, I've gone into local shops expecting to be able to get a carb jet or something simple/common like that and been told "we can order that".  I worked in a Suzuki/Triumph/BMW/BSA shop when at university and we kept a lot of parts on hand, but that doesn't seem to be as common as it used to be.

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 05/18/24 at 17:24:27

Good points, Michael.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print