Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Help with electrical issue - horn, lights only (Read 236 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Help with electrical issue - horn, lights only
Reply #45 - 05/26/24 at 18:57:50

You will note that on this side of the multi-connector, the wire colors change a bit.  Where you had an orange wire coming into the connector, you now have an orange/red wire.  That would be an orange wire with a red trace.  The other wire in question is still yellow/white (yellow with white trace).

Like this.

OR_Pwr_In_YW_Pwr_Out.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #46 - 05/26/24 at 19:00:00

You will need some small female terminals that fit snug on the male pins in the connector.  Connect your multi-meter to the appropriate pins in the connector socket.

Like this.

Meter_to_OR__YW_Pins.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #47 - 05/26/24 at 19:01:43

Use your meter to verify continuity.  There should be no resistance, zero ohms.

Like this.

Zero_Resistance_OR_to_YW.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #48 - 05/26/24 at 19:04:50

Sorry about the clarity of the pictures.  Best I can do.

With the meter still connected, push the starter button.  The circuit should break, and the meter should read infinity or some very high resistance value.

See how my meter is reading 100 megohms.  That's essentially infinity.

Press_Button_100_Megohms.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #49 - 05/26/24 at 19:10:41

So, with the button released you should have zero ohms, and with the button pressed you should have infinity.  I suggest you cycle the button a whole bunch of times to rule out an intermittent problem.

In the event that the switch checks out good, then your problem lies in the pins and sockets in the multi-connector.  But I'm betting that your problem is in the starter switch.

If you determine that the starter switch is bad, it's most likely the result of dirt, water & corrosion.  Here's a look inside a typical switch assembly.  See how dirty and corroded it is in there.

Dirty__Rusty_Typ.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #50 - 05/26/24 at 19:13:47

You can clean the contacts, but it is tricky and frustrating.  Do it on a table where you can sit down.  There are small parts inside that are easily dropped and lost forever.  It's a bit like watch making.

There are two screws that hold the switch in place.  This is the first screw.

Rmv_Screw_1.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #51 - 05/26/24 at 19:14:25

And this is the second screw.

Rmv_Screw_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #52 - 05/26/24 at 19:22:04

The switch kinda pulls out of the housing with the wires attached.  That white plastic cover has to be removed but it's fragile and easy to break.  The black plastic piece has barbs.  You must depress the barbs a bit in order to remove the white plastic piece.  You gotta be gentle and go slow and have about six hands and thirty fingers and x-ray vision.  There's springs in there and they tend to pop out and get lost.  Good luck.

Switch_Removed.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #53 - 05/26/24 at 19:27:07

Once the switch is opened, you will see the wiper assembly along with the springs.  One problem with these junk switches is heat.  IMO, they carry way more current than they should.  When they get dirty, they start to arc and get hot.  That heat gets transferred through the copper wiper to the springs and the springs get annealed and go soft.  It's a crash dive downward spiral from there. Luckily, on this particular switch the wiper appears to be isolated from the springs by a plastic holder. I can't recall for sure if the springs are in plastic sockets are if they actually touch the copper.  I have plenty of trouble with these switches on both my LS and my AN.

See the dirty wiper and the cheesy springs.  I hate these cheap switches.

Starter_Switch_Wiper_Dirty_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #54 - 05/26/24 at 19:32:48

A little bit of work with some SkotchBrite pad and the wiper can be cleaned up.  That assumes it isn't severely pitted.  See how there is a pit in the wiper (green arrow).  It's not too bad, but this switch isn't gonna last a whole lot longer.  

Note that in this view you can see a spring that pushes the wiper (yellow arrow).  Alas, there is a spring in direct contact with the copper wiper, so it gets cooked good when the switch starts goin south.  If you get into this switch, check that spring.  Make sure it isn't dead soft.

Starter_Switch_Wiper_Cleaned_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #55 - 05/26/24 at 19:42:31

The black plastic part of the switch has two sets of contacts.  See how dirty these contacts are.

Starter_Switch_Contacts_Dirty.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #56 - 05/26/24 at 19:44:26

Same deal with cleaning the contacts.  SkotchBrite pad and some electrical contact cleaner should do the trick, provided the contacts are not severely pitted.

Starter_Switch_Contacts_Cleaned.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #57 - 05/26/24 at 19:48:02

Put it back together and check continuity again.  Now, when the start button is released, you should have zero resistance across the orange/red and yellow/white wires.  When the start button is depressed, you should have infinity across the orange/red and yellow/white wires.

Let us know what you find.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Odysseus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #58 - 06/01/24 at 11:48:38

DragBike, you are the man! I finally got her up and running. Here's what went down:

I focused on the switch apparatus, as you suggested, taking it off and meticulously going through the points to clean it. On the actual ON - OFF swith itself, I removed everything and cleaned the copper connectors. Put it all back, plugged in the tank, and voila! Lights. But here's where it gets interesting. I then peiced everything back together, check as I went to make sure I still had power. When I got the tank secure, there was none again. I move that big section of wires that was plugged in to the ON - OFF switch assembly, and it worked?? So, I tightened everything up and now am a go to finally take it back on the road. Hopefully, it stays together. I wil keep you posted.

Thanks again Mike. Cool

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #59 - 06/01/24 at 12:58:26

Mike is the man!

So a good cleaning of the switch seemed necessary.  Good job cleaning it up!  

But are you saying you also have/had a bad connection or bad wire at the connection under the gas tank?  Did you find where your connection or wire(s) is/was bad under the tank?  Did I understand you correctly?

I'm always worried about pinching or cutting into the wiring under the tank when reinstalling the gas tank.  It's always kind of an awkward nerveracking process installing the gas tank without bumping around and damaging all the wires, connectors, and cables.

Happy Trails to You!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/30/24 at 10:30:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help with electrical issue - horn, lights only

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.