Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Help with electrical issue - horn, lights only (Read 236 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Help with electrical issue - horn, lights only
Reply #30 - 05/20/24 at 04:41:32

If you have power at the yellow/white wire coming out of the right-hand multi-connector, verify that there is 12V at the yellow/white wire going into the left-hand multi-connector under the gas tank.  That would be this wire (green arrow).

LH_Multi-Connector_YW_in.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #31 - 05/20/24 at 04:43:57

Check the yellow/white wire with the meter probe.  With the ignition switch on, the meter should read 12V.

12V_at_LH_Multi-Connector_YW.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #32 - 05/20/24 at 04:50:23

If you have 12V going into the yellow/white wire on the left-hand multi connector, then check to see if voltage is getting to the lights and horn via the black/red wire.  Do this by inserting the meter probe into the female connector at the horn.  With the ignition switch on, the black/red wire should have 12V.

Insert the meter probe like this.

Horn_BR_12V_power.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #33 - 05/20/24 at 05:09:44

If you have 12V at the black/red wire at the horn it should verify that the horn and the lights are getting 12V.  They all get their juice through this black/red wire circuit.

The horn is always hot.  As long as the ignition switch is on and the starter button is not pressed, the black/red wire circuit should be hot.  The horn button works by grounding the other horn terminal so juice can flow from the red/black wire, through the horn, through the black/blue wire to the horn button contacts and back to ground via the black/white wire.

So, the horn and the lights are powered up by the black/red wires.  They also share the same ground.  You can verify that the horn and lights have a good ground by checking continuity between the horn black/blue wire and a good ground.

Turn the ignition switch off.  Set the meter to ohms.  Connect one meter probe to the horn black/blue wire.  Connect the other meter lead to a good ground.  Then press the horn button and verify there is continuity between the black/blue wire and ground when the horn button is pressed.

So, one meter lead to the horn female connector on the black/blue wire.    

Horn_BBL_to_ground_via_button_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #34 - 05/20/24 at 05:11:10

And the other meter lead to a good clean part of the engine.  No paint or powder coat, bare metal.

Ground.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #35 - 05/20/24 at 05:17:08

Press the horn button and the meter should read zero ohms or very, very close to zero ohms.  If the meter shows no continuity or high resistance, inspect and clean the connector pins in the left-hand multi-connector.  That would be black/white wire to black/white wire.  If those pins check out, then the horn button isn't making good contact, but that wouldn't prevent the lights from working.

If the power circuit checks out and the ground circuit checks out, the lights and horn should work.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #36 - 05/20/24 at 05:24:02

Regarding your "battery meter", it is likely that the meter either uses the same ground as your lights & horn, or the same power wire as the lights and horn, or both.  Given the location of the meter, it is highly likely that it was hooked up to the lights and horn circuits because they are in close proximity to the meter.  It would be a good idea to trace the meter wires and see where they are tied in.  I'm guessin that it might be in the headlight nacelle, or under the fuel tank below the speedometer.  The installation of the meter may have damaged a ground wire or a power wire.  Follow the wires and see where it's hooked up.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #37 - 05/20/24 at 05:59:55

Lots of good details and info, Mike!

Wiggling the positive battery cable got it going tells me bad battery connection, OR it worked because the handlebars were inadvertently moved/repositioned when the cable got wiggled.  To Verslagen’s point, the smallest detail could provide a clue.  You might not even notice to repositioned the handlebars.

Then, more things happened after the handlebars were swapped out.  My bet right now is that the contacts in the starter button switch are dirty (your first response).  The wiggling of the positive cable was unrelated and coincidental and it was movement of the handlebars.

I know when I was swapping out the throttle cable on my bike, that entire housing can get pretty dirty in there.  I think I used a 1/4 can of contact cleaner in there.

I hate electrical gremlins!  Continuing to follow this post and learn myself.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #38 - 05/20/24 at 19:00:24

Boy did I screw this up.  Odysseus, I apologize if I have caused you a lot of grief.  My test procedure that disconnects the negative battery cable is bogus, bogus, bogus.  I am working on a correction video and will post as soon as possible.  Doing the tests with the negative cable disconnected doesn't work correctly.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #39 - 05/20/24 at 20:13:39

So, I did another vid that does the test of the circuit from the main ignition switch through the multi-connectors and handlebar switches.  The new test leaves the battery negative cable hooked up.  I found that if you disconnect the negative battery cable your test device starts to serve as the negative buss.  It doesn't work right.

I think you will find this vid easy to follow and it's a pretty fast check.  Let us know what you find.  Again, I apologize for any confusion.  I'm sure there are probably a few EEs, ETs and electricians on this forum.  Maybe one of them can comment on the energized negative bus (black/white) phenomenon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1jqMqHoXxQ

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #40 - 05/21/24 at 05:22:14

Good video, DBM.  How did you realize the first testing was bogus?  I ask because electrical stuff always baffles me and I swear I get false positives and negatives all the time not knowing what I’m poking around on or following the correct procedure.

Also, if the contacts in the switch are hit/miss, couldn’t this test indicate it’s okay when it’s really not okay (like a false positive result).

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #41 - 05/22/24 at 01:34:42

I guess you could get a false positive test if the contacts are intermittent.  I personally would press the button repeatedly and with varying degrees of force, angle of attack, etc.  I guess I failed to mention that.  Thanks for calling it out.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Odysseus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 05/26/24 at 09:52:39

Ok, thanks Mike. Now I ran the new test. At 6:06 when you touched the yellow wire I'm getting .06 - that's it. Does that mean the culprit is the yellow wire - somewhere from there to the end?

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #43 - 05/26/24 at 10:31:16

I’ll let DBM explain, but you should have 12v+ with the ignition on BEFORE you touch the starter button.  And your lights should be ON when the starter button is NOT being pressed!  Once you press the starter button, the voltage in the yellow wire should drop down close to ZERO and the lights should go OFF.

This turning OFF the lights feature when the starter button is pressed is to allow as much battery power as possible to go to the starter relay and starter.

If you are getting no voltage with the ignition on and you are not touching the starter button, you have a power interruption in the line before it reaches the connection where you are testing.  It still sounds like your right side switch where the power button and kill switch live is the problem to me.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #44 - 05/26/24 at 18:51:51

"Ok, thanks Mike. Now I ran the new test. At 6:06 when you touched the yellow wire I'm getting .06 - that's it. Does that mean the culprit is the yellow wire - somewhere from there to the end?"

In reply #29 I explained what to do if the yellow/white wire was not hot.  I will try to elaborate.

To start, you said you "touched the yellow wire".  You should be touching the metal terminal on the yellow/white wire.  That would be a yellow wire with a white trace.  So, are you checking the yellow wire with white trace, and is your probe actually contacting the terminal in the connector?  Did you check the orange wire to make sure you had 12V to the multi-connector?  If yes to all, then there is no continuity through that circuit.

Check the switch for continuity.  

Here is a picture of the switch removed from the motorcycle.  You can also do these checks with the switch on the bike.  Just unplug the right-hand multi-connector so that the pins are exposed.

RH_Control_Switch_Assy.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:25:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help with electrical issue - horn, lights only

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.