Send Topic Print
Connecting rod lengths (Read 54 times)
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

In the fog of San Francisco
Connecting rod lengths
05/10/24 at 20:01:55

I've not seen any mention in the forum of the connecting rod center-center length.  Carrillo doesn't list a rod with dimensions for the 650 and neither does the OEM service manual, so I'm wondering if someone has measured one while they had an engine apart.

Generally, the longer the rod (compared to the stroke) the better, but a long-rod 650 could be a VERY tall engine.  Smiley  

thanks,
Michael

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Connecting rod lengths
Reply #1 - 05/10/24 at 20:42:17

The connecting rod center-to-center is 6.535" (about 166mm).  Yes, a longer rod would be sweet.  Not only could you take advantage of longer dwell time and better mechanical advantage, you could also raise the compression about 2 points.  The LS has a negative deck, somewhere on the order of .15", so a rod that was 3mm to 4mm longer would work out real nice.  You could achieve a zero deck for good tight squish, and the compression ratio would go up about 2 points.  The added dwell and better mechanical advantage would be a bonus.

I have no idea how you could get the thing balanced.  Are you aware of any vendor that will balance a contraption like the LS?  Do they need to use the balance shaft and balance both items (crank & balancer shaft) together?  Seems to me they would need to do that.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/10/24 at 21:29:21

I have a friend who understands balancing with balance shafts, but I'm not up on the details of what to do when modifying weights of the different parts.  He's written freeware for analyzing a basic single cylinder (no extra shafts), but balance shafts seem to add a fair bit of complexity.

John Ulrich's "Road Racing World and Motorcycle Technology" magazine has very useful spec sheets on road tests.  They adopted my suggestion to add rod c-c length to the specs so that people could see the rod/stroke ratios.  It is interesting to see what different manufacturers do, and how it might vary for different applications (street vs MX vs roadrace).

I road raced a Yamaha TT500-engined bike for 6 years in the late 70s/early 80s.  The Yamaha has a fairly short rod ratio.  I recall being told that Mert Lawill was involved in a TT500 short tracker project and that it wasn't putting out the expected power until he suggested they put in a longer rod.  The person who built several of my race engines would put long rods into 4T trials bike engines as he said it made them smoother at the very low RPM they usually used in a section.  I was going to build a TY400 Yamaha vintage trials bike for the AHRMA Modern Classic class using a short stroke/long rod SR400 crank in a TT500 engine (another project that didn't get very far).  He also built some short stroke/long rod Yamahas for racing.  

I talked with a former American Federation of Motorcycles (AFM - a California race club started in the 1950s that I raced with for decades) #1 plate holder who had a lot of success with big-displacement Yamaha FZR400-based engines.  He told me he'd built one with 3:1 rod ratio and it was a big improvement, and he'd have been happy to go even longer on the rods but there was no way to squeeze them in.

I got a long rod/high-pin piston kit from a racer who specialized in the BSA unit single 500cc, mostly for dirt track, and he claimed it made a big difference.  Other people who used them confirmed his claims

Your nominal 166mm figure gives a rounded off 1.76:1 rod/stroke ratio which is better than I expected.  An additional 4mm for a zero deck would be 1.81:1.  Unfortunately, the longer the stroke, the less impact a couple of mm of extra length makes.  I haven't had a chance to measure a piston to see how much the pin could be raised in one.

A TT500 is 1.72:1, a unit single BSA 500 is 1.69:1, Yamaha R6 2.05:1, some GSXR600s at 2.6:1 (some variance with different model years on the modern sport bikes), but 2:1 is often mentioned as a target for a good rod ratio for high performance.

Adding 22mm to the rod on a 650 would be a chore, but interesting.  What my friend did on the long rod engines is he increased the rod lengths based on cam chain pitch to make it where he didn't have to add a 1/2 link into the chain.  Smiley  

I suspect that for reasonable street use the 650 is in the "not bad but could be better" range since it is RPM limited by the stroke.  6500 RPM is about where it hits 4000 ft/min mean piston speed and while I've seen mention of people going to 7500 RPM (4626 ft/min) and a bit higher, those speeds sound chancy to me with an OEM rod designed for a low horsepower engine.  I had a Carrillo rod in my 500 Yamaha with an 84mm stroke and I still tried to keep the red line below 8000 RPM which was 4400 ft/minute as I saw other Yamaha 500 racers with blown engines from revving them to the max.  That little bit of extra power didn't make any difference in my lap times because I was the limiting factor, not the bike.  Smiley

Thanks for the rod info, and all the other stuff you've shared (and I've been busy copying off for study).

cheers,
Michael

WWW   IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #3 - 05/11/24 at 14:41:09

Michael Moore wrote on 05/10/24 at 21:29:21:
I suspect that for reasonable street use the 650 is in the "not bad but could be better" range since it is RPM limited by the stroke.  6500 RPM is about where it hits 4000 ft/min mean piston speed and while I've seen mention of people going to 7500 RPM (4626 ft/min) and a bit higher, those speeds sound chancy to me with an OEM rod designed for a low horsepower engine.

The rod is plenty strong enough. The piston and rings are what is setting the rpm limits with the LS engine. You can make short visits to 7500 rpm fairly safely, but if you decide to visit too often and stay for too long, you will have an interesting looking paperweight that used to be a piston.

IP Logged
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/11/24 at 15:02:53

I've already got one of those paperweights from my Honda 216 vintage racer, though it was due to a pattern valve breaking where the stem and head were joined.

WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #5 - 05/17/24 at 07:22:09

Michael,

I enjoyed your post because it reminded me to rewatch this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C_YNn3ZkJmU&t=63s&pp=ygUVY29ubmVjdGluZyByb2QgbGVuZ
3Ro
You ask about raising the gudgeon pin in the piston, that will not go well, if you will watch the attached picture, where there is only one millimetre up to the bottom of the oil scrape ring. The rings could sit closer, perhaps but I don't know.
Another thing you brush over is the mean piston speed. I read about it when I was 16 in a motorcycle journal, describing the overhaul of an old Norton 500cc longstroke, and since forgot about it.
I never realised it would have a bearing on the Savage engine, but now I will feel totally comfortable restricting byself to revving to only 6500rpm.
I read in another thread that you are into flow optimising the ports, and I hope you will share your methods and results.
I heve tried to do a bit of it, with good results on the exhaust, not so good on the inlet.
Cheers, Finn Hammer

IMG_20240517_161218_NR.jpg

An expert is a person who has made all possible mistakes within a narrow field - Niels Bohr
WWW   IP Logged
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/17/24 at 08:15:27

FinnHammer, I've enjoyed reading your build thread, you are doing some nice work!

Thanks for that video, the presenter does a good job of explaining the situation.

In "Tuning for Speed" Phil Irving gives a formula for calculating piston loads, and I ran some Savage numbers through my spreadsheet.

stock rod, Wiseco piston, 6500 RPM:
2864.04 lbf load      TDC      1.766:1 rod ratio
1600.10 lbf load      BDC      

long rod:
2790.09 lbf load      TDC      2:1 rod ratio
1674.05 lbf load      BDC      

That tracks the video with the longer rod reducing both the load at TDC and also the variance between the TDC and BDC loads.

Piston pin offset can also make some difference in things like sideloads at midstroke.

But as far as the rod, I think the Savage will be one of those "it is what it is" situations.

I've seen some vintage pistons with thick rings that were widely spaced, so fixing that can help to make space to raise the pin in the piston.  Also, race pistons will try and bring the top ring closer to the deck to reduce the top ring volume as the gasses above the ring aren't helping the compression ratio or doing much work, but if that is pushed too far the top ring will be exposed to too much heat and fail.

Here's a handy calculator for pistons:
https://www.wiseco.com/compression-calculator/

I'm going to play with the ports.  I have an Audie Technologies FlowQuik that I will have to drag out of hiding.  I've pulled molds from the ports but I should put those photos into a different thread.

Here's some information on the new Ducati 659cc Superquadro single for comparison:

https://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle-news/ducati-new-superquadro-660-single-...

659cc Ducati Superquadro 77.5hp @ 9750 RPM, or 85hp @ 9500 RPM with exhaust changes, 116m x 62.4mm, 46.8 and 38.2mm valves.  110mm rods for 1.81:1 rod ratio (which Cameron considers "shortish") where Ducati twins are usually in the 2-2.2:1 range.

Putting the Ducati numbers into Irving's formula @ 9750RPM and keeping the same piston weight (though I'd expect the larger Ducati piston to be heavier) gives

TDC      4279.47 lbf
BDC      2388.26 lbf

At 6500 RPM to match the Savage calculation:
TDC      1901.98
BDC      1061.45

A short stroke helps too!  But if a person wanted a short stroke high revving single, they probably wouldn't have purchased a Savage.

cheers,
Michael

WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #7 - 05/17/24 at 14:05:27

Funny you should mention that Ducati, because I have been drooling over pictures of that engine, since it was the centerfold story in a local mc-magazine.
But when I go out and look at the Savage Thumper engine, I know I have chosen wisely.
Only drawback is the handling caracteristic of a flat rake angle, 10 degrees too flat for my liking.
Perhaps wrangle the engine into another chassis...

An expert is a person who has made all possible mistakes within a narrow field - Niels Bohr
WWW   IP Logged
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/17/24 at 15:05:08

For the price of one of the new Ducatis you could have 5-10 Savages.  Smiley

It seems like you could handle the job of cutting the steering head free (or mostly free) and welding it back on after steepening the rake angle.  That was not an unknown modification on TT500 Yamahas, especially if being used for dirt track.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/18/24 at 03:42:48

FinnHammer wrote on 05/17/24 at 14:05:27:
Only drawback is the handling caracteristic of a flat rake angle, 10 degrees too flat for my liking.
Perhaps wrangle the engine into another chassis...

When I ride a stock Savage - it feels like the bike "flops" into the turns.  It is the same feeling when riding a Sportster or some other cruiser style bikes.

You can improve the steering by using longer rear shocks and/or dropping the height of the front.  An inch longer rear shocks doesn't alter the look much, and you can either drop the front by using an adjustable top clamp of installing spacers in the forks.

RYCA would install 2" spacers in the forks - but the ride was horrible with the reduced travel.  I installed 1/2" spacers in my forks and I have the tubes dropped about 1" in an adjustable top clamp.

If you can cut internal threads - you can also shorten the fork tubes and re-thread the tubes for the caps.  I don't have the ability and I sent my tubes to a fellow who did that for me.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #10 - 05/18/24 at 05:24:43

Dave,
Your description of the steering is good, I lacked the vocabulary to phrase it so well, but it does indeed "flop" into the corner. That is a spot on description.
It feels, to some extent, like the top half of the wheel is too heavy, and I am in the process of building a lighter wheel with a 1.85" h-profile alluminium rim, it will be fitted with a 3.6 " TT100 dunlop tire, for the period look. Not the Savage period, but my period which was in the early seventies. Rear tire will come next, with 18" h- section allu rim and a 4.1" wide TT100 tire. That big balloon in the rear can not be beneficial for cornering, and skinny tires are beautifull. Back in the day, this tire selection would support much larger bikes than the Savage. Longer rear shocks will follow by then.
I also intend to lower the front, by using the modified lower yoke as the top one.Visually this slants  the cylinder slightly forward which I like. I don't quit undertand what you mean about the spacers..

WWW   IP Logged
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/18/24 at 09:08:05

Quote:
If you can cut internal threads - you can also shorten the fork tubes and re-thread the tubes for the caps.  I don't have the ability and I sent my tubes to a fellow who did that for me.

Often it is easier to work from the bottom end, where after shortening and putting some radius on the end you just need to do a counterbore for the bottoming cone outer block and then add a circlip groove.  No pesky threads to deal with.

FinnHammer, you can put a spacer on the damper rod, basically shortening the shaft, before you drop it down the stanchion tube to bolt to the slider.  That will increase the engagement between the tube and slider but also shorten the travel.  Also, I've seen bottoming cones that have  5-10mm of straight diameter at the base so that the hydraulic lock takes place before full bottoming travel.  What I've done is chuck the cone in the lathe and extend the taper above it down until the straight section is almost gone.  That still gives an increasing hydraulic lock, but might pick up a few more mm of travel when in use (as opposed to being checked without oil on the workbench).

WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #12 - 05/19/24 at 12:18:33

I think I have to back out of any further discussion about the front fork, for the moment,  because I am unfamiliar with the nomenclature used, and I have not found a proper cross section drawing of the fork, so that I might visualise how it actually functions.
Dave, Michael, for now, thanks for your input, I will return to this subject when I have gotten myself a better understanding of the innards of the fork.

Possibly read this thread from start to end:
https://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1421689358

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 16:45:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Connecting rod lengths

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.