Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Send Topic Print
Clutches, clutches, clutches. Where does it end? (Read 878 times)
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

In the fog of San Francisco
Re: Clutches, clutches, clutches. Where does it en
Reply #90 - 05/14/24 at 09:28:12

Surviving Philly, since you've got a new shaft and cam do you have a micrometer or very good caliper that will let you accurately measure the OD of the shaft and also the thickness at the flat? If you can do the same measurements on your cam that would be great.

I'm going to be pulling the clutch cover on my new to me 97 LS soon to check the condition of the chain tensioner, and while it is apart I'll get those measurements off of my 27 y.o. and 15K mile parts to see if there's any difference.

thanks,
Michael

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #91 - 05/14/24 at 17:17:15

So, here is the vid on shimming the release cam.  If you make a shim, it is important not to make it so thick that you have to force the shaft through the cam with shim installed.  The vid shows about how snug you want things.  The shim will have some ragged edges from cutting the material.  Use a small smooth file to knock off those ragged edges and burrs.  You want a nice smooth shim with good tight bends.  Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccZbhM9J5PA

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #92 - 05/14/24 at 18:58:37

Thanks for the honorable mention in the video Mike.  I learned from the best = you!  I actually kinda carefully messaged (bent) the new spring a bit.

Is the idea of the shim to save from buying a new release arm/shaft ($86 at Partzilla)?  The cam is $10.  A Sneeze can is like $35 I think.

IP Logged
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #93 - 05/14/24 at 19:23:18

ThumperPaul wrote on 05/14/24 at 18:58:37:
Is the idea of the shim to save from buying a new release arm/shaft ($86 at Partzilla)?  The cam is $10.  A Sneeze can is like $35 I think.

Except all of his cams were in the shop that recently went up in flames so he doesn't know if any survived.

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #94 - 05/15/24 at 05:09:32

Michael Moore wrote on 05/14/24 at 19:23:18:
ThumperPaul wrote on 05/14/24 at 18:58:37:

Except all of his cams were in the shop that recently went up in flames so he doesn't know if any survived.

Oh dang!  That’s awful news!  Forget the cams - hopefully he can recover from the loss of the shop!

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #95 - 05/17/24 at 12:10:20

Brief update here.

Michael I'll try to get that data for you.

Regarding the job itself I'm still waiting on parts and clear skys. Maybe Sunday God willing.

IP Logged
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #96 - 05/17/24 at 12:31:10

No rush on the measurements.  I've got a complete side cover coming and I can measure that without having to pull the cover off the complete bike right away.  Mainly, I'm curious if all the OEM cams are a loose fit on the shafts.

thanks,
Michael

WWW   IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #97 - 05/17/24 at 12:58:07

It's a pretty loose fit as far as I'm concerned, did you see the video I posted? I'll be curious to see the condition of my used one

IP Logged
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #98 - 05/17/24 at 15:02:09

Yes, I saw the video.  Are the all like that?

WWW   IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #99 - 05/17/24 at 17:48:59

Personally I don't have the experience to say, however this part specifically was just recently ordered from parzilla by the shop around the corner, deal fell through and he was sitting on the parts. Never used

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #100 - 05/18/24 at 05:47:40

It’s always good reading when dudes are talking about how tight their shaft fits.  I like when my shaft fits good and tight.  It shouldn’t be loose and sloppy.  Shocked

IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #101 - 05/18/24 at 09:02:12

ThumperPaul (you naughty guy) I think you just qualified for an honourable mention in the "classic quotes" category.

An expert is a person who has made all possible mistakes within a narrow field - Niels Bohr
WWW   IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #102 - 05/21/24 at 14:07:00

Alright,

So,

I dropped the ball here guys.

Sunday night my girl totaled her car hitting a deer of all things right outside the city limits. Car was totaled. I had to get the bike back together first thing this morning and didn't have time to get pictures before work.

Given all th effort of this forum to support me I apologize for that.

I will be posting pictures/ videos of the former release arm and cam lobe for any reference that may have.

Bike is running fine right now as would be expected with a new pressure plate and clutch pack, the issue of course is that if the problem hasn't been solved I'll be doing this whole thing again in roughly 4 months.

I just want to give a special thank yo to DBM for all of his insight and time. Sorry I had to throw things together so quickly this morning. I did want to contribute back to the forum with any useful info.

-paul

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #103 - 05/21/24 at 15:06:26

Well tell us about it….  

Did you see anything unusual?  

Was your release arm shaft to cam fit loose or tight?  

Which pushrod length did you install?

I forget - did you go back to OEM springs or did you install the Barnett springs?

Sorry about your girl’s car!  Was the deer totaled too?  Did you get any venison out of the unfortunate meeting?

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #104 - 05/21/24 at 17:35:38

Here's some info:

I believe my hub is worn, however not nearly as significantly as the pressure plate. We're I gto guess based off what I saw today, about half a mm.

The actuating shaft was worn. The cam lobe was not. However the amount of wear was surprisingly minimal to my eye without taking measurements and I will be posting pictures of both the arm and lobe. I believe the love was not worn.

I only exclusively use the middle length rod.

I used OEM springs and pack this time around.

Girls civic is totally done but luckily she's fine. Unfortunately no venison, I wasn't there to put it down nor collect the spoils, not that we have an area to dress a deer down town anyway.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 13:51:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutches, clutches, clutches. Where does it end?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.