Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
Clutches, clutches, clutches. Where does it end? (Read 894 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Clutches, clutches, clutches. Where does it en
Reply #135 - 09/09/24 at 15:45:30

The stock fiber discs are (per Clymer) 2.92-3.08mm not 2.5-2.6mm when new.  So average is 3.0mm just like Barnett 3mm.

The wear limit is 2.62mm.

The measurements I shared in Reply #128 were from a Caltric clutch kit and they advertise 2.9mm.

Barnett springs are stiffer.  I can confirm that.  Their steel discs probably aren’t meaningfully different than stock.  Their fiber discs aren’t any thicker (they would be foolish to mess with that metric).  About the only differentiation could be in fiber discs material.  I don’t know what Barnett uses.  Maybe it’s a superior organic formula.  Then again, maybe the little Savage doesn’t like premium and prefers vanilla.

You already know you need a new pressure disc and clutch basket?

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #136 - 09/09/24 at 16:15:48

Kevlar I think. But people use it without any issues. I think it's actually cheaper than stock brand new.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #137 - 09/09/24 at 16:25:48

Are you getting the big nut torqued down all the way?  The big nut that has the locking washer.  

I don't see how the shorter rod would allow the spring bolts to hit the release arm, but I guess it's possible.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #138 - 09/14/24 at 13:57:36

Does anyone know Is the pressure plate anodized?? Dave mentioned in the past it is but from what I understand anodized aluminum typically has a dark(er) surface than non anodized and usually a matte finish. The pressure plate new has a shiny, polished surface.

Any insights here?

I think the Barnett clutch material is simply harder than the plate. Call me crazy but this is my current idea.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #139 - 09/14/24 at 17:16:15

Surviving Philly wrote on 09/14/24 at 13:57:36:
Does anyone know Is the pressure plate anodized?? Dave mentioned in the past it is but from what I understand anodized aluminum typically has a dark(er) surface than non anodized and usually a matte finish. The pressure plate new has a shiny, polished surface.

The wear surface is going to be polished and bare as it's going to end up that way anyway.  The rest of it may be anodized/parkerized/whatever.

WWW   IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #140 - Yesterday at 15:45:56

Since putting the stock clutch pack back in, I've been fine... However it doesn't grip as aggressively as the Barnett. Time will tell.

I really think the Barnett clutch was the issue here. I'll keep this thread going over time regarding any clutch issues.... I suspect, though, given the material of the stock clutch that my current pressure pate is not being worn away as it was with the Barnett.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #141 - Yesterday at 16:34:29

What do you mean it doesn't grip as aggressively?  Can you feel slippage?

I recall the Barnett springs making the initial engagement of the clutch bite very firm.  Feathering the clutch in the friction zone took some getting used to.

Did you notice anything unusual in there?  Did you measure the fibers and steels?  You can't go thru all that and not share some gory details!  Did you change the push rod length?

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #142 - Yesterday at 21:31:17

I don't believe the pushrod length should be changed. I think the middle length rod should be used as per factory specification unless an aftermarket with different clearances is being used which could put the actuating arm outside the case in an undesirable position -- i.e. above or below the case marks.

Nothing unusual was going on Inside the case except for, once again, the pressure plate being severely worn away. The hub mating surface was at stock thickness when I checked via micrometer. Both basket and hub shows some minor grooving from the friction disks, not enough for me to consider filing them down as there is no chatter or impediment.

The Barnett kit, with its stiffer springs, felt better to use than the stock clutch pack. It had a tendency to keep the friction zone closer to the bar, which was nice. That's what I mean by gripped aggressively. The stock clutch reaches full engagement further out based on what I've observed.

All in all, I attribute this wear to the Barnett kit. I believe barnette makes a fine product, and I would not knock their product line, but I believe that their plates were causing the pressure plate wear at this point. In roughly 4 months from now, if the clutch starts slipping and I open it up and see another seriously worn pressure plate, I'll revise this theory. But that's my current thought.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 00:30:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutches, clutches, clutches. Where does it end?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.