Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Keihin PWK38 Air Striker Carburetor Installation (Read 328 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Keihin PWK38 Air Striker Carburetor Installati
Reply #60 - 09/20/24 at 14:40:43

Well, at least your bricks are still flesh colored.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #61 - 09/20/24 at 14:51:50

LANCER wrote on 09/20/24 at 14:40:43:
Well, at least your bricks are still flesh colored.

Grin Shocked

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #62 - 09/21/24 at 05:51:39

Well, something isn’t exactly right trying to tune with the Dyna muffler…

The #32 pilot jet seems perfect.  The idle is very steady at 1250-1300 rpms.  This is actually an improvement.

During “roll on” testing of the main jet in 3rd and 4th gear, it stumbles or hesitates and isn’t smooth when I ease off to 7/8th throttle.  Suggesting the #130 main jet is too big.  I will go back down to a #128, but this is the main jet I was using with just the UNI air filter (no Dyna muffler).

Since I also moved the e-clip from the 2nd to 3rd groove on the needle, I’m wondering if this isn’t contributing to the issue as well.  In the low/medium midrange, it almost feels too rich as well.  I went back and forth with this when I installed the UNI filter and found I liked the 2nd groove (leaner) a little better for crisper acceleration in the midrange.  But I’m always scared of being too lean in the midrange where I do 90% of normal riding.

Now I’ll be doing 1 change at a time (like I’m told).  

I’m also still wondering if a different needle may be needed to get everything dialed in right.  

DBM - you changed the needle on your hotrod.  Ideas?  I think mine is a DDJ.  If I wanted to keep some of the low midrange richness (or correct mixture), but I wanted to lean out the upper end of the midrange, can you suggest a different needle?  Do I need less taper?  This type of advanced tuning is above my pay grade.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #63 - 09/21/24 at 09:37:54

Well… Dropping down from the #130 to #128 main  virtually cleared up the issue entirely (it’s definitely noticeably better).  The dilemma now though is a know a #125 will be sightly lean.  And I don’t think a #126 or #127 Keihin main jet is available.  I need to look.

I’m going to leave the e-clip in the middle groove for now as 1/4 - 3/4 throttle feels ok.  I think it could be crisper, but I’m concerned moving the e-clip up a groove will be too lean.

I’m just gunna try some normal riding for a while and see.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #64 - 09/21/24 at 16:28:47

I wouldn’t worry too much, the Dyna muffler is very restrictive.  I suspect you could reduce to a 125 main.  Lower the needle a notch first.  Keep an eye out for surging or any other lean indications (spark plug, hesitation, hiccups, etc).

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #65 - Today at 10:42:43

Thanks Mike.  I'm going to leave it as is for a bit.  Acceleration is good.  Roll off testing in 4th and 5th is fine (when I'm not getting over 6000rpms).  It's 2nd/3rd where I still notice it a bit.  

It would be nice to be able to roll off in 3rd when doing 65mph and it be smoother.  It's kinda a jerky bog, hard to describe with words, it only happens when I've really got the RPMs up like 6300+, wish you could ride it and tell me.  Maybe that's what you call hiccups.  It'll sometimes throw a pop backfire when I ease off 1/8th from WOT.  If I roll off in 3rd when under 6000rpms, it's fine.  2nd acts about the same way.  

I'm thinking about how I'd like it to be able to run while riding in the twisties/hills -- where you might spending a fair amount of time in 3rd accelerating, holding speed, and engine braking and possibly pushing 3rd over 6000rpms.

I want to see how cooler weather affects it.  It's still over 100 degree heat index here.

« Last Edit: Today at 13:14:23 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 13:26:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Keihin PWK38 Air Striker Carburetor Installation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.