Send Topic Print
Ignition switch (Read 55 times)
Melissa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ignition switch
04/06/24 at 17:44:02

Hello all, I've posted my issue on here once before and tried some suggestions recommended in previous thread with no luck so I am looking for some more advice. When I purchased my Savage last year the previous owner installed a toggle switch in place of the ignition switch. (Title was transfered, bike is not stolen) It's a 2 pin toggle switch, one side of the switch has the orange, brown, and gray wires and the other pin has the red wire connected to a black wire. The black wire was then ran to the positive battery terminal. The 4 pin connecter is still present so I was told to remove the toggle switch and the black wire and just plug in an ignition switch. I got a new OEM switch and tried this but it does not work. I get no power to the bike, but as soon as I reconnect the toggle switch it works. What completes the circuit to the ignition switch? It's almost as though it's not grounded. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Ignition switch
Reply #1 - 04/06/24 at 17:53:33

that's true, the ig switch is not grounded.
it just supplies power to the components that are in turn grounded.

old thread...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1696599411

WWW   IP Logged
Melissa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/06/24 at 18:24:21

Yes, that was my original post. I got an ignition switch as suggested removed the toggle switch and black wire going to battery and the ignition switch doesnt power up the bike. Any suggestions as to why this may be? Is there something else that I should look at that may be disconnected?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/06/24 at 21:59:47

You said you have a '95, I'm not sure I have a wiring diagram for that year.
So, you'll need to describe the wires going thru the green connector.
In particular, the big orange and big red/white, those should be the power cables.

According to the '96 wiring diagram, red/blk should be suppling power to the ig switch and big orange should bring the power back to the bike.

I suspect the guy rerouted the original wires so the wiring is no longer stock and just plugging in the correct ig switch isn't going to fix it.

WWW   IP Logged
Melissa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/07/24 at 06:08:14

I posted my question in the Facebook forums as well and someone suggested that maybe the red wire doesn't have power and that the black wire was being used to supply power to the switch from the battery, since they are both connected to the positive battery. Would a toggle switch hooked up like this bypass a blown fuse or bad starter?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/07/24 at 07:07:57

Melissa wrote on 04/07/24 at 06:08:14:
I posted my question in the Facebook forums as well and someone suggested that maybe the red wire doesn't have power and that the black wire was being used to supply power to the switch from the battery, since they are both connected to the positive battery. Would a toggle switch hooked up like this bypass a blown fuse or bad starter?

yes, or a bad wire (burnt, broken, etc.)

the red/white and red/blk wires should come from the fuse box on the other side of the frame.

96-03_wiring_diagram.jpg
WWW   IP Logged
Melissa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/07/24 at 07:33:28

So the toggle switch hooked up the way it was could bypass a blown fuse, bad starter, or broken wiring. Is there anything else that could be bad as well? Like the decomp? I will be looking at the fuses today, as well as the red/black and red/white wires that should be coming out. The red wire is soldered inside the ignition switch or I would just connect the black wire they had to it, like they had on the switch. What I am guessing is the black wire supplied power to the red wires components up until the faulty part or wire?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 04/07/24 at 08:39:35

You said the bike works before you installed the ig switch.
So why do you think the problem is somewhere else?

I gave you a wiring diagram, look at the wires going into and out of the green connector.

WWW   IP Logged
Melissa
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/07/24 at 08:57:31

Yes, it worked with the toggle switch hooked up and then didn't when I connected the ignition switch. Someone said it sounded like the the installed black wire was supplying power to the red wire and that's why it was hooked up in the manor it was and the ignition switch does not work because it is not getting power from the red wire. I have the clymers for the bike and have traced back the red wire to the 20a fuse then the battery. So it could just possibly be that red wore or the fuse causing the ig switch not to work?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 20:12:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ignition switch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.