Send Topic Print
Bike Won't Start (Read 174 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Bike Won't Start
Reply #30 - 01/29/24 at 05:25:08

I see a lot of brush wear on the comutator. I would clean that up (no abrasives) and inspect the brushes for wear. You may be able to square them up with a file and flip them. But since they are wear items, it's best to replace them.

(EDIT: I responded at the end of page one not realizing there was a page two)

So i see that my suggestion was already covered verslagan...I would clean the comutator with alcohol. Measure the diameter of the brushes and estimate a length...brushes can be found on Amazon or eBay.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #31 - 01/29/24 at 05:36:29

Good to know, Verslagen.  I replaced the relay, but I will be listening closely for continuous running of the starter from now on.  It’s interesting you brought that up because when I tested the relay it had continuity but I didn’t consider if it was breaking the circuit and shutting down.

I cleaned up the kill switch and start button housing assembly with electrical contact cleaner.  It was functioning before I cleaned it, but it felt pretty sticky.  You have me thinking the start button could get stuck and continuously sending juice to the starter.  Hopefully I’ve got it cleaned up; I don’t need any more things to worry about and monkey with on this bike.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #32 - 01/29/24 at 06:02:02

Hi Gary, I did clean up the commutator with electrical contact cleaner, but I did use fine grit sanding block as well. Maybe I added insult to injury with the sanding block.  It is nice and shiny now though  Roll Eyes.

The “brushes” are rectangular and I can’t tell what they are made of.  Interesting little gizmos to be called brushes.  Part of me wants to try to fix it because it still “looks good”, and part of me says screw it and just install the new starter that’s already on its way here.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #33 - 01/29/24 at 07:01:38

Brushes are made of carbon-graphite. As they wear they make a mess inside the motor and can actually inhibit the motor from starting just from the dust. You will note that the brushes have springs under them, that is to ensure constant contact. When the brushes become too short they will not longer make strong contact with the comutator.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #34 - 01/29/24 at 10:02:39

Thanks Gary.  And I learned how tight the brushes can get with those springs.  Holding back the brushes in those springs while getting the assembly back on the commutator takes 6 hands as Dave said.  I ended up wedging screws on the outside of the circular springs (in the gap) so I could get it back together.  They are definitely making good contact and didn't appear to have much wear.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #35 - 02/01/24 at 05:42:32

Installed the starter and previously installed new battery and solenoid and Woody fired right up!  A buddy and I took a ride for Woody’s longest ride yet, about 30 miles of suburban boulevards and back roads.  I must toot my own horn and say all the work we’ve done worked out well.  Woody runs pretty darn good.  Barnett clutch springs give new life to the clutch and it feels great. Verslavy CCT has the chain humming nice and quiet.  New semi-metallic front brake pads work too good - I’d like a bit more progressive feel (that should improve with a few more miles).  Valves sound nice and quiet but not too tight after re-doing the valve lash a second time (didn’t want to go too tight and not enough clearance the first try).  The rejetted and rebuilt Mikuni VM36 performed marvelously.  Murray at Murray’s Carbs is still in disbelief that I swapped out the 165 main jet he installed with a 200 main jet (Lancer’s recommendation).  No signs of being too rich at WOT and I’m interested to find out what kind of gas mileage Woody will get with the 200 main.  All in all, Woody is finally running pretty darn good!  Thanks to everyone for all your help and patience with me!

Now, do I sell it or keep it?  I’ve still got a small pesky oil leak which I think is where the stator wires come out of the crankcase cover.  Just enough to be annoying!  It doesn’t leak if the bike is level on the motorcycle stand.  Only leaks when leaned over on the side stand.  I may have to try to fix that.  It’s bugging me!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 09:31:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike Won't Start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.