Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
ShellRotella T6 10w/30 Full Synthetic (Read 298 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
ShellRotella T6 10w/30 Full Synthetic
01/10/24 at 05:49:50

Shell added 10w/30 weight oil sometime last year.  In Houston, I’ve always used 15w/40 year round.  The 10w/30 might make sense in colder climates for those that can tolerate riding in colder weather.  Has anybody tried the new 10w/30?

I’m a T4 Dino juice guy and haven’t made the leap to full synthetic.  I’d rather be cheap and do more frequent oil changes.  While many of us use Rotella T4 or T6 and know it’s safe and good (with ZDDP) for our old design thumpers, it’s actually not JASO MA/MA approved/certified.  You can check the JASO list (it ain’t listed).  The bottle says something like “meets or exceeds the requirements of MA/MA2”.  Curiously the T5 (synthetic blend) container doesn’t include this language.  I highly doubt Shell would make the statement if it wasn’t true.  They don’t want lawsuits, but they also don’t want to pay or spend the time getting it JASO certified is my thinking.

Sharing for thoughts and to let people know the new 10w/30 T6 is available.  It’s also about 33° in Houston this morning, and my jug of 15w/40 in the garage is like cold maple syrup.  I brought it in the house to warm up before I fill my bike today.  It got me to thinking about using 10w/30 weight oil for a couple months.

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/products/full-synthetic-oil/T6-10W-30-full-synth
etic.html

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: ShellRotella T6 10w/30 Full Synthetic
Reply #1 - 01/10/24 at 10:15:32

I kinda wish they did  a 20/50 for my BSA projects and I’m still wanting to use Castrol in them. I’m pretty sure ROTELLA 15/40 will be just fine in the BSAs. As far as changing to different weight of oil  at different times of the year, I wouldn’t. Pick a good oil in the proper weight and stick with it. Every builder I ever talked to said the same. I just want one brand & weight of oil for all my singles , a couple of jugs on the shelf not a bunch of different brands. Todays oils are great but cannot recommend changing weights just cause it’s cold out.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 01/10/24 at 12:02:56

That’s interesting.  I’ve never heard of changing weight for different temperatures being an issue.  I’ve even read and heard people mixing brands and alternating between conventional and synthetic.  It’s probably fine, but I’m like you - find something that works and stick with it.  Of course, the main thing is have the right amount and keep it fresh!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/11/24 at 02:53:39

For my motorcycles - the "5W", "10W, "15W" is of no concern.  That rating is established at 0c/32f and I am never going to be starting my motorcycle at that temperature.  For the temperatures I ride at the difference in force required to start a cold engine is negligible.  For my cars it is a different story, as I do drive my cars in the winter and our weather forecast for next week drops below zero!

The higher 30/40/50 number does have a meaning to me - I mostly run 40 weight oil and use either Rotella 15W-40......as 5W-40 likely has more additives to keep the oil flowing at lower temperatures....and I don't need those additives taking up space in my oil.  I never use 30 weight oil in my air cooled motorcycles....once the riding season arrives I often ride at temperatures over 90 degrees (summer).

Oil_Chart_001_003.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 01/14/24 at 08:48:51

Has the package (ingredient list) (zddp amounts)(etcetera) for Rotella 15w40 full synthetic changed over the past decade or so,...... or has it pretty much stayed the same; being the preferred oil for our beloved 650 thumper?  I have a 5 gallon bottle I bought several years ago, and I plan on using it shortly unless I find out some reason not to.  Verslagen recommends I use it, and he has always been one of the experts I like to query about these types of issues.

« Last Edit: 01/14/24 at 17:16:33 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 01/14/24 at 10:52:09

Good question.  The Shell website, product description, nor brochure disclose their proprietary concoction.  

This 3rd party independent analysis by the Petroleum Quality Institute of America conducted in 2021 indicates 1,130ppm of ZDDP. Other good information on the ingredients.  Link to analysis below.

https://pqia.org/shell-rotella-t4-sae-15w-40-heavy-duty-diesel-engine-oil/

There are other anecdotal comments on "Bob is the Oil Guy" that supposedly quote emails from Shell indicating that the amount of ZDDP hasn't changed.

I'd use up your 5 gallon bucket - "Good to the last drop". (wait...that's a Maxwell House coffee jingle).  Of course, someone will say that oil goes bad after 5 years or the expiration date.  I've never had an extra container of oil for more than a year, so I have no clue.  While some of the reasoning as to how it can go bad makes sense, if you keep it properly stored in a good sealed container, I'd suspect 5 years is on the conservative side and they just want to sell you more fresh oil.

IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/22/24 at 07:45:08

As this is a fairly recent Oil thread, let me pipe in!
I keep looking, but see both con and pro answers whenever i search for some Rotella equivalent in Europe. I only saw Rotella once in my life, on a Thai holiday, a bottle of it bobbing up and down in the bilge water of a long tail boat. Cheesy
We have Rimula R4 instead, but again, as with internet always, you just won't find a straight answer. I got hold of a certificate of analysis of that product and it states 1080ppm phosphorous content. That's all, the rest of the report is only viscosity and specific weights etc.
I found an oil with Jaso rating, that has "higher zddp" (though it does not say how much), Millers Classic 20w50, dino oil... Again, no info of specifics

I'd like to find a dino oil that i can get off the shelf in the local tractor store, and be happy with it.  Anybody has experience with European market / Eastern European market?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 01/22/24 at 16:02:31

I use Rotella T4 (Dino oil) most of the time, and if found and on sale I also use ….cal , but it’s hard to find.  Both have good levels of ZDDP.  I use T4 because of price, because I change my oil when it begins to get dirty.  It’s the carbon/grit/etc that the oil collects as it moves through the engine, and that causes most/a lot of the wear, and clogging things.  Our filters are barely adequate.  Clarity begins to leave my oil in the 1500-2000 mile range, and by 2500 it’s cloudy.  If it’s cloudy then Im circulating particles that cause wear.  So I change it.
T-6 is great but it costs more.  When does your oil begin to turn color and go cloudy ?   The oil molecules may still be good based upon milage but the junk they pick up and carry around is not.  Do you still want to continue using it ?  I don’t.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 01/23/24 at 03:34:57

When an oil is "synthetic" - it is not some magical elixer compared to Dino oil.  The Synthetic label can be used on a lot of oils that have been prepared in many different ways.
https://knowhow.napaonline.com/how-is-synthetic-oil-made/

The big advantage of synthetic motor oils is not really more protection or reduced wear for your engine when the oil is new - the big benefit of synthetic oil is that there are less impurities and the long molecular chains break down slower and the oil can be used for extended oil change intervals.  Some oil manufacturers claim they provide protection for 10,000 or 20,000 miles!.  (There are lots of mechanics on YouTube showing the damage to cam chains and guides that they believe is coming from these excessive oil change intervals).

Like Lancer, I change the oil my motorcycles pretty often and likely have less than 2,000 miles between oil changes. (I change the filter every other change).  Synthetic oils don't provide much of an improvement over Dino oils when changing oil this often.  Even if you do use synthetic...a couple of quarts of oil for the Savage is only a bit more than $10 if you are using Rotella and shop wisely.      

20000.PNG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 01/25/24 at 06:47:41

The mileage claims are ridiculous!  Change your darn oil!

It’s easy to like Rotella T4 when it’s $15.98/gallon at Walmart.  Essentially enough for 2 oil changes.

I’m with you Lancer and Dave.  I’m a frequent oil changer about every 1,000 miles (filter every other oil change).  It bothers me to look in the window and see cloudy or dark oil.  It’s so rewarding to see that nice golden oil through the window.

I did recently buy a gallon of T6 on sale for $23 at Walmart.  That’s going in the Shadow at next oil change and I’ll probably still change it at 1500 miles.  I do think synthetic is superior oil based on the molecules.  It cleans better in my opinion.  Compare color to Dino juice at the same mileage and the synthetic will be darker.  To me that means it’s collecting more crap.  My comparison is based on my F-150 at 4,000 miles.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 01/25/24 at 13:08:51

I use T4 in my ‘08 Dodge Dakota, c/ 3.7L V-6 & standard valve train & lower CR, a lot like the LS650 except for air-vs-oil cooling.  
It likes it.

IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/26/24 at 06:23:30

A friend of mine who works with Shell aviation lubes used some shell tool to see what is covering the bike. (Though I do not claim to know how the algorithm works). The oils he came up with when I asked about Rotella equivalent in Europe was not Rimula (though he too said it's very much the same, with slightly different additive package), but Shell 4T AX7,
You will get the details here, with specs PDF:
https://www.shell.com/motorist/find-the-right-oil.html

He checked the additive package for me (perks of being high up in the lubes foodchain) and said that it had high level of ZDDP, though again, I do not know how much... See the certificate of analysis below.

Pricewise it's a good 25% more than Rimula, so you get a 4L can instead of the Rimulas 5L can for the same amount of coin. But then again, it's synthetic, while Rimula is mineral.

IP Logged
Zoltan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/26/24 at 06:29:14

Here you see phosphorous and zinc content, though I'm not clear on how this might translate to the much mentioned ZDDP content.

I hope it helps some lost (in a sea of oils and opinions) European like myself. Cheesy

4T_AX7_COA.jpg
  IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #13 - 01/26/24 at 07:58:13

Zoltan, all

I think perhaps this oil from Castrol may fit the ticket. I have no experience with it, my bike is still dismantled. It may affect clutch operation, again, I don't know.

It is called Castrol Revival V67SL
This is what they say about it: (sounds compelling, no?)

Classic mineral 10w/40 motor oil with reduced viscosity and increased camshaft wear protection.  Zinc content 2200 ppm.  Suitable for hydraulic valve lifters.

This oil has been developed to meet the problem of the wear protection effect of engine oils on classic engines and racing engines with flat cam followers.

On each rotation of the cam, the oil film will be pushed away for a short moment between the cam and the cam follower.  Anti-wear additives in the oil must here form a protective surface that prevents erosion of the metal surfaces of the cam and cam follower.  The wear problem increases with increasing pressure on the cam followers - i.e. the sharper the cam, the larger the valves, the harder the valve springs, the greater the pressure and the more wear - i.e. the problem is greatest on large V8 engines as well as on racing engines and other tuned engines.

The problem is greatest on relatively high-performance engines and on pushrod engines with mechanical valve lifters, but also occurs on engines with hydraulic valve lifters and overhead camshafts.  On more modern engines, the problem is eliminated through different valve arrangements, different material selection and lower pressure on the valve lifters.

Some of the anti-wear additives are gathered in a carefully composed package of zinc, phosphorus and sulfur compounds that reduce friction and wear.  The package is often referred to as ZDDP.

Due to contamination of catalysts, API lowered the maximum permitted content of ZDDP in API classified motor oils years ago – this effectively covers all available motor oils on the European market.

The content of anti-wear additives in Castrol Classic oils is right up to the limit set by API, while modern fuel-saving oils are far below.

To reduce wear on the camshafts, we have developed 'Revival V67SL²', which is a modified classic mineral 10w/40 oil with an increased content of the anti-wear additives.  The content of the anti-wear additives has thus been brought up to par with the most durable motor oils from the 60s and 70s.

Due to the high content of anti-wear additives, the oil cannot be classified according to the API rules.  Under no circumstances must it be used in an engine with a catalytic converter.

Specifications: SAE 10w/40

SAE 10w/40

Screenshot_20240126_170057_Firefox.jpg

An expert is a person who has made all possible mistakes within a narrow field - Niels Bohr
WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #14 - 01/26/24 at 13:14:57

ThumperPaul wrote on 01/10/24 at 05:49:50:
 While many of us use Rotella T4 or T6 and know it’s safe and good (with ZDDP) for our old design thumpers, it’s actually not JASO MA/MA approved/certified.  You can check the JASO list (it ain’t listed).  The bottle says something like “meets or exceeds the requirements of MA/MA2”.  

i don't know what "JASO list" you are referring to.  I am staring at the back side of a gallon jug of Rotella T6 5W-40.  It says "JASO DH2, JASO MA/MA2".   I could take a picture, if I wasn't so lazy.

I have used Rotella T6 exclusively on my Savages.  I am not a frequent oil changer (any where around 8k to 10k miles if I think about and it's too late to go for a ride that day).
Has that hurt the engines?  Dunno.. Huh  Undecided  
I do know I got a LOT of miles on both of them!   Cheesy
Hmmmm.. Thumper really should get an oil change pretty soon.
OK.. you made me go look.  Thumper is only at 5k miles.  Mad Hamish, however, is at 10k.  Get to that soon..

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 08:32:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ShellRotella T6 10w/30 Full Synthetic

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.