Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cam Timing Chain Service Life? (Read 45 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Cam Timing Chain Service Life?
12/12/23 at 06:38:00

I don’t have a service manual, just a Clymer manual.  I know all bikes are different and not ridden the same, but is there a ballpark mileage for the service life of the timing chain?   I know, I know - I should measure it to see if it’s in spec. 

(My 2012 Ford F-150 has 130k miles and I’ve never given thought to the timing chain.)

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Cam Timing Chain Service Life?
Reply #1 - 12/12/23 at 07:04:00

The best indicator of the wear is the extension of the tensioner plunger.  If the plunger is out 18-20mm it is getting scary.  You then need to decide if the problem is the chain - or the rear guide that can lose the arch and flatten out a bit.

The work you are about to go through will not require you to remove the chain or loosen the crankshaft nut.......chain replacement will require that.  Most folks don't have to take the heads off, and installing the Verslagen tensioner extension is the easiest way to address the excess extension of the tensioner.

How many miles is on your Savage - how many more do you plan in riding it?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 12/12/23 at 07:13:44

Thanks Dave.  I forgot about the guides that could cause untrustworthy measurements from the CCT plunger.

I bought this bike thinking it would be an easy fixer-upper and then I screwed the pooch.  It has about 10,700 miles.  It’s had several previous owners.  It came with a VM36 carb and aftermarket exhaust.  So someone along the way tinkered with it.  In the next few days I plan to remove the clutch side cover and see what’s going on.  It may already have a Verslavy CCT.

I’d prefer not to have to replace the timing chain obviously, but just thinking about all this.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 12/12/23 at 12:04:00

With just a little over 10K on the odometer, I suspect your cam chain has plenty of life remaining.  The rear guide, maybe not.  As Dave said, the Versy tensioner is the easy fix for the rear guide.

This old post might be helpful.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1593671973/0#14

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 12/12/23 at 13:26:44

I don't have the expertise that Dave has. I can tell you though that my '06 S40 is approaching 50K miles with no issues with cam chain. I did install the versy cam chain tensioner at around 14-15k miles (and it was a good thing I did). Neal, if you read this, how many miles did you get before changing the cam chain? Neal has 2 of the highest mileage Savages around.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 12/12/23 at 14:00:30

Thanks guys!  Springman, 50k plus sounds good!  Thats what I was hoping to hear and not 20k.  I would like to know how many miles Neal racked up before needing to replace the chain.  Or anybody’s mileage for that matter.  I’ll take the 50k+ answer for now!  Thanks for your input!! If this bike doesn’t have a Verslavy when I get in there, I’ll be getting one from Verslagen.  Then I would just need to decide on new or reconditioned!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 09:35:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Timing Chain Service Life?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.