Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
412 ?? (Read 46 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
412 ??
11/29/23 at 03:48:08

I have my 05 running good enough to start taking some day trips.  The last item I need to address is the rear suspension.  I have VS800 shocks on it and it is a significant upgrade from the oem.  I am interested in Progressive 412 shocks; although, I am not sure if the standard or heavy duty would work better.  I suspect the correct spring weight would be somewhere in the middle for me.  I am leaning towards the heavy duty as a I wight 215.  With gear and tail bag suspect I am getting a bit to heavy for the standard.  

Can someone who has experience with them offer some insight?  Thanks

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 412 ??
Reply #1 - 11/29/23 at 07:08:13

I am not sure you want Heavy Duty springs.......the 412 shocks are likely made for larger/heavier bikes than the Savage.

I have 412 shocks on my Cafe', and the standard springs (120/170) were too stiff.  I ended up ordering lighter (105/150) springs and the ride is much better.  I do believe the valving could be a bit too heavy for the Savage....the small pavement ripples are pretty noticeable, bigger bumps are handled pretty well.

My bike weighs 320, I weigh 170.....probably more like 185 with my gear on and ready to ride (My boots are heavy Wink).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/29/23 at 11:58:27

pg wrote on 11/29/23 at 03:48:08:
I have my 05 running good enough to start taking some day trips.  The last item I need to address is the rear suspension.  I have VS800 shocks on it and it is a significant upgrade from the oem.  I am interested in Progressive 412 shocks; although, I am not sure if the standard or heavy duty would work better.  I suspect the correct spring weight would be somewhere in the middle for me.  I am leaning towards the heavy duty as a I wight 215.  With gear and tail bag suspect I am getting a bit to heavy for the standard.  

Can someone who has experience with them offer some insight?  Thanks

Best regards,

I bought the 412-4005 (11") and had to use the highest preload setting at 230# and still were a little light.

I think the vs800 intruder shocks are much better.  They are longer at 11 1/2" and might have a little more travel.

WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #3 - 11/29/23 at 15:48:27

Thanks for taking the time to post, and they are all valid points.  I have the VS800 shocks on them and I think the valving on them is kaput.  It is like a yo yo going over bumps.  I bet I would be pretty happy with decent ones.  I though the 412s may be a good option.  I'll have to do some more research.

Best regards,

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 11/29/23 at 16:23:49

Maybe shock length and the resulting angle of the shock affects the spring rate......my Cafe' uses 340mm (13.4" eye to eye length).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 11/29/23 at 18:29:58

I suspect the geometry of how the spring compresses plays a significant role in the performance of the shock.  

Best regards,

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 11/29/23 at 20:20:12

pg wrote on 11/29/23 at 15:48:27:
Thanks for taking the time to post, and they are all valid points.  I have the VS800 shocks on them and I think the valving on them is kaput.  It is like a yo yo going over bumps.  I bet I would be pretty happy with decent ones.  I though the 412s may be a good option.  I'll have to do some more research.

Best regards,

Ya, I think the damping is a little low but you don't go bouncing down the road so it takes the harshness out of rough roads.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 09:25:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 412 ??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.