Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Aftermarket tank options? (Read 85 times)
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Aftermarket tank options?
11/25/23 at 18:25:14

Yo savages,

I've been searching through the forums for some ideas about an aftermarket tank, do we have any direct swaps with other metric cruisers?

I've been considering a sportster tank but I'm still trying to figure out how I want to mount it with as little frame modification as possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Aftermarket tank options?
Reply #1 - 11/26/23 at 03:35:03

Putting a different tank on the Savage is never a "bolt on" experience.  The mounting points can often be very different, as well as the clearance under the tank.  The Savage frame is very wide just above the carb where the frame goes from a single backbone to the double frame tubes, and there is that pesky decompression solenoid that requires a lot of room.  And if you get a tank without speedo and instruments....you need to fabricate new places for those up on the handlebars.

MMRanch had a tank on his that didn't require a lot of work....I will see if I can find that thread.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/26/23 at 08:16:18

Thanks Dave,

I came across this one that seems interesting:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1487911422

I know also that the ryka "Rr bobber" kit had a similar approach -- riveting a bracket to the backbone before the wide part of the frame.

I think in both approaches, you cut the mounting points with the rubber stoppers off, rivet the bracket to the backbone, bore a hole for the front of the tank tang and have the tank sit high enough that the decomp doesn't need to be removed.

It seems do-able, but I'm obviously very hesitant to pick up a tank and start cutting without a good mock-up or some more confidence I won't run into unforseen issues, like clearance with the spigot on top of the VM36 carb I'm using, etc.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 11/26/23 at 09:47:04

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1453431803

Still haven't found MMRanch thread on what tank he used.  I believe it was not a lot of work.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 11/26/23 at 12:04:31

Dave wrote on 11/19/15 at 03:48:00:
This Wiki thing claims the tank is 4.2 gallons on the GZ125, 3.4 gallons on the GZ250. Not sure why the difference - Some eBay listings show the same tank fits both bikes. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GZ_series

The bottom of the GZ250 tank doesn't look like it has enough room for the coil/decompression solenoid, flasher relay, etc. that is mounted to the frame tube.  The wide area under the tank where the speedometer is located has a lot of stuff mounted to the frame on the stock Savage.

GZ250
http://i66.tinypic.com/2prwbxt.jpg

LS650
http://i67.tinypic.com/2m3qtdv.jpg

One member used a 3.6 gallon VN750 tank - unfortunately he provided no information about the work necessary to make it work.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1245897456

However this thread shows the bottom of the tank, and it is obvious none of the mounts will work.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1438362708/2#2

Making a tank fit the Savage requires work....you have to make front and rear mounts, the petcock may not be in a good place on the replacement tank, and the frame/decompression solenoid clearance under the tanks is sometimes a problem.

I used a GT550 tank on my Cafe bike.  It required making new mounts, I had to become a blacksmith for a while and make a deeper frame notch in the tank by heating and hammering the tank, I had to relocate the petcock, and I had to cut a section out of the tank and weld an offset in to provide clearance for the top of the engine where the cam chain housing is located.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 11/26/23 at 13:07:48

I think the GZ250 tank may have been the one that MM used.

What is your goal with a new tank?  New look?  More fuel?

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #6 - 11/26/23 at 13:46:01

I used a tank from a 650 Yamaha Gold Star, 4.5 gal. 06` I believe.
Got the idea from Smokin Blue`s build.
A LOT of work. You must fab new front AND rear mounts, and it is about 2" longer so the stock seat is out. But the 200 + mile range is nice.
I use a gps speedo in a cluster above the handlebar risers cause with the 2 Kaw pulleys the stock speedo was over 20% off.
Made a hinged cover for the speedo hole in the tank and it is a nice little glove box/catch all.
The Savage is a great starting point if you want just you want and can spend some time making it that way.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/26/23 at 16:18:22

Hmmm, I'm curious about the GZ250 tank -- you know what? I may pull my tank and take measurements of everything to post here for future reference, I think measurements from the GZ250 tank are available on Google but I can't for the life of me find something showing our overall stock tank length, dimensions, etc

In terms of why, I crashed pretttttty good the day before thanksgiving, banged my stock tank up some -- also that stupid rear mounting tab broke off months ago -- that ting is garbage.

I've always wanted to throw a more minimal tank on here without the instrument cluster so I suppose now is the opportunity -- I really enjoy that sleek, narrow sportster tank aesthetic.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/03/24 at 15:21:06

Long time update

Mounted a sporty tank through drilling/riveting. Think it turned out OK. suppose time will tell.

I used the same strategy as member groupus who made a threat easily findable in Google where he cut a 6" piece of aluminum U channel and mounted it to the backbone. I can provide info for anyone interested.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/13/24 at 17:56:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Aftermarket tank options?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.