Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Piece of dowel rod in cylinder (Read 720 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Piece of dowel rod in cylinder
Reply #90 - 11/28/23 at 05:34:32

You’re about right, DBM.  The mark was pointing at about the 1 o’clock position and the piston was down more like 1.5”.  

At 13 turns in on the adjuster screw (from 0 clearance), and flush with the rocket arm, it didn’t look to create a wide enough opening for it to squeeze by.  I would have been happy for it to just get stuck in the gap and then yank it through with forceps.

It’s freaking me out a bit jacking open the valves.  I can just see me dropping the  adjuster nuts down into never never land.  I’m clumsy and unlucky like that.

I may give it another shot today with the piston only lowered a bit.  Vacuum is pretty strong, but not strong enough from the distance to the piston.

On a positive note, I did get some good practice checking and setting valve clearance on all 4 valves.  I’m nicely between .004-.005”.  I did this after I put the adjuster and nut back in approximate place and rotated around 1.8ish turns to TDC on the compression stroke.

I have several photos with my phone and the endoscope camera, but resizing and posting here is a pain and won’t really help much.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #91 - 11/28/23 at 05:51:30

It looks bigger in the photo than when I last saw it in person hung in the plug hole.

Image-1.jpeg
  IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #92 - 11/28/23 at 06:12:35

Ahh now i see why you don,t get it out. You should not yous a fexible tub on your vacuum but a harder matrial. like plastic or metal and whit an as big diameter as possible.

And when you have a bite and are almost at the hole, you have to make small back and forth movements so that the wood can arrange itself until you get the end. and then it can come out. One of the valves must be open. And the piston perhaps halfway through its stroke.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #93 - 11/28/23 at 07:18:28

I did all that Z.  This is just 1 photo of 1 style of attempts.

Mike is right about where the piston needs to be if this is going to work.  However, jacking all 4 valves open to “see” would create a maze of valves for the chunk to navigate thru.  I’ve got good suction with the 1 valve jacked open and the spark plug hole open.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #94 - 11/28/23 at 09:15:25

That thing is monstrous!  The piston is 94mm (3.7")....no wonder it doesn't want to come out!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #95 - 11/28/23 at 09:31:00

I know!  Right!  It’s an odd angle, but doing some rough a2+b2=c2 math and eyeballing if it’s over half the length of the radius, the dabgum thing might be 2” long!  It only looked like about 1” when it was hanging by a thread in the plug hole!

I may just hit the happy button.  You still got that performance modified head laying around?  Lol.  Do you do free delivery and installation?  lol.

I’m getting a bit more wacko that normal right now!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #96 - 11/28/23 at 09:36:40

At some point, you may just want to pull the head.  

For anyone who ever wants to confirm TDC, use a screwdriver because the handle won't allow it to fall into the cylinder.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #97 - 11/28/23 at 10:09:02

WOW!  That is waaaaaay bigger than you described.  I don’t think it’s comin out of there through an open valve.  The cylinder also looks like it’s gettin scratched up from all the fishing expeditions with various tools.  If you keep at it, you could ruin the cylinder.  Pretty good picture.  What endoscope are you using?

As I recall, you previously said it was about 5/16” diameter.  That looks more like 3/8” or 7/16”.  Awfully long too.  It doesn’t look like it can make the corners.

You have come this far.  You must have learned a few things.  As mentioned earlier, you got the scooter cheap.  Time to put on your big boy pants and remove the cylinder head.  No one can say you didn’t give it your best shot.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #98 - 11/28/23 at 10:41:36

Yeah, it's a freakin' log!!

Here's a link to the endoscope camera.  It works well.  When using the mirror attachment to see side angles, it loses quality and requires frequent cleaning with alcohol and a lint free cloth (no surprise given the hell I put it thru).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C4FBM6GV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #99 - 11/28/23 at 11:28:00

With the camera, and the piston at the bottom of the stroke - you don't think you could capture that with a parts grabber?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #100 - 11/28/23 at 16:01:50

Gary.  No.  You have a cool bike!

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #101 - 11/28/23 at 16:13:33

Have a powerful enough laser to burn wood?

I do, so I thought maybe if you could shoot it through a hole and hit it that you could get it burnt up a bit to break up.

WWW   IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #102 - 11/28/23 at 19:54:08

What about a bbq lighter, can you stick it in there and burn it?

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #103 - 11/29/23 at 08:35:32

And ad a littel oxygen... Smiley

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #104 - 11/29/23 at 14:51:56

I'm ready to start a wager....  Here's the bet...  Hit the happen button and see what happens....

Wager A: YOU bet $20 the engine will suffer severe damage like bent/broken valves and/or related components.

Wager B: I bet the bike won't suffer any damage.  My wager amount is my repair cost (a real mechanic and parts) if I'm wrong.

This is like a twisted go-fund-me with a wager.  Your $20 bet won't win you any money;  but you will win the absolute knowledge that Little Woody can beat Big Bad Metal.

I need about 50 bets against me!  Bring it on!!  I'll be nice...  If I win, I won't keep your $20!

Y'all want to know!  You want to see me hit the happy button!!  It's like watching a train wreck!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 09:25:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Piece of dowel rod in cylinder

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.